XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Barn find xj6 series 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Barn find xj6 series 3

Hi looking for some comments or opinions on this...
found an old xj6 thats been sitting for over 4 years.
it's a 85 series 3 that's been under cover for half the time and then moved outside to the driveway about 2 years ago and exposed to the elements inc heavy rains. So bodywork is pretty rusted through. The battery is naturally flat so couldn't start the car, and owners kids haven't started it for over 3 years. not much visible rust on the undercarriage but door sills and around the windscreens there is plenty
looking for feedback not so much on the exterior bodywork but what needs to be done with the engine and mechanics. Bodywork I imagine a full strip, rust treatment and repaint.
If it's been sitting that long what do I need to lookout for and check before making any purchase. I have read through the buying guides on the forum but looking for specific advice on this case . Is it worth the unknown hassle or worth taking on as a project as the mileage is very low if its genuine and the interior trim is pretty good.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,989 Likes on 7,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders2jags
Is it worth the unknown hassle or worth taking on as a project as the mileage is very low if its genuine and the interior trim is pretty good.
If you enjoy the work and have the money to spend, it'll be 'worth it' in terms of satisfaction. In terms of an investment, no way.

As a practical matter you'd be better off buying one that needs a lot less work. Less labor, and less money in the long run

After long term dead storage the fuel system and brake system will probably needs lots of attention right off the bat. It's almost certain that both are rusty. How much work the the other systems need is anyone's guess.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Really appreciate the response Doug, that was the main thing I was worried about, the engine deterioration from being unused. If the engine oil has been drained whilst it's been sat parked, would that make much difference?
Hand brake lock, and brake rust, I'm less worried about as all that would be safer to change out.
Anything else you would foresee needing alot of attention and money?

Old 01-18-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,989 Likes on 7,216 Posts

Really appreciate the response Doug, that was the main thing I was worried about, the engine deterioration from being unused. If the engine oil has been drained whilst it's been sat parked, would that make much difference?

No.

The engine oil just its there in the sump, not doing anything.

Hand brake lock, and brake rust, I'm less worried about as all that would be safer to change out.
Anything else you would foresee needing alot of attention and money?
Rust repairs and paint are HUGE expenses. Even if you have the skill to DIY the materials alone are costly.

Assume full overhaul of the brake system: hoses, calipers, master cylinder, etc. Assume fuel tanks are rusty, possibly needing replacement. Assume climate control is inoperative. Transmission? Unknown at this time.

Lots of mechanical repairs are pretty easy on these cars and parts not too expensive so if you're a good DIYer the mechanical stuff usually isn't too bad....although costs do have a way of running up regardless. Paint, rust, chrome, leather....that's where serious money comes in.

I 100% understand the satisfaction of taking on a project but, if you have your heart set on a Series III, have you looked around and seen how relatively inexpensively you can buy on that is already running, has good cosmetics, and needs much less work than the car you're looking at will surely need? One with fewer 'unknowns' ?

Even with all DIY labor I can very easily envision you spending many thousands on the car you've described.

If your eyes are wide open going in, you might have a very satisfying project on your hands.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (01-24-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Show us a few pictures for more advice, but fixing the rusted places on these cars is not for the faint-hearted ! In contrast the mechanical stuff is pretty straightforward assuming you have garage facilities. Two books you really will need and which I had when I owned a Series 3 and did a lot of work on : -

- Series 3 Workshop Manual
Amazon Amazon

- Series 3 Parts Manual
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/pr...yABEgJwe_D_BwE

If anything, the parts manual is the more useful as it shows the layout of all the assemblies as drawings. Both books are essential. You can always get .pdf files on-line but the book is far more useful when you're grubbing around in the garage !

Old 01-20-2020, 08:25 PM

Thanks Doug, thanks Fraser, that's some really good input that I'll stew on. I have the time and inclination to do the repairs, but there are some big unknowns like you say. Just not many xj6s in good condition in thailand this one is 36k original miles! Some pics coming up.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Thanks Doug, thanks Fraser, that's some really good input that I'll stew on. I have the time and inclination to do the repairs, but there are some big unknowns like you say. Just not many xj6s in good condition in thailand this one is 36k original miles! Some pics coming up.
Ah, you didn't say you were in Thailand ! Then rust might not be such an issue if salt is not used on the roads there in winter, but we need to see some photos. Is there anything to back-up that 36k miles ? Reason I ask is because the speedometer can be removed from the car in about 5 minutes so easy to swap it or clock it.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,865 Posts

don't need to buy the factory Service or Parts manuals. Download all the sections free from my website: Also many documents about the Series 3 systems.

Jag Upgrades Home

Old 01-28-2020, 02:22 PM

here some photos of the old gal, let me know what you think

Old 01-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,865 Posts

is it cheap enough? buy it as a parts car. Otherwise if too expensive, pass on it. Too much rust in very difficult places.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Do NOT buy this car! The rust, as shown, suggests that the body elsewhere will be in terminal condition (that front fender!). Furthermore, this car has had major reconstruction - the dashboard is from a Series 1 car (note the circular air vent), the dash cover is likewise from an earlier Series, not a Series 3, the steering wheel is not original, ...closer investigation might reveal further anomalies. So the advice regarding the likely incorrect odometer reading is spot on....and as always, Doug is correct in suggesting choosing a running car -even in Thailand there must be a more honest XJ6, no?

Last edited by sov211; 01-28-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Anders2jags,

That is some seriously nasty rust. It will be extending down the inside of the wheel arches where you can't see it behind double skin.

Also, Series 3 XJ6's were fuel injected, not carburetor like in your photo which would have been found on Series 2 XJ6's.

Unless someone has removed the smog pump, I think that looks more like a Series 2 engine.

Looks like you have a series 2 dashboard as well, as Series 3 had rectangle air vents not circular.

In fact the speedo and rev counter are quite large and definitely Series 2.

The small gear selector box indicates an early Series 3 at best.

The body looks Series 3 though.

Check foe engine number on rear of bell housing.

8L = Series 3
7L = Series 2

Looks like a bitsa, so I would only consider buying for parts.

Me, I would walk away.

Regards,

Nigel

Old 02-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yikes. That rust looks pretty bad. I do like the steering wheel though. Wish mine was thicker. Interior looks to be in good shape. Parts car only.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ebbnflow00
Yikes. That rust looks pretty bad. I do like the steering wheel though. Wish mine was thicker. Interior looks to be in good shape. Parts car only.
If you want a thicker and far more attractive wheel, you might consider the late Series III XJ wheel used on the V12 cars (1990-1992). It not only transforms the appearance of the interior, but because of its slightly smaller diameter and thicker rim it transforms the driving experience too (for the better). While this wheel was on the Series III cars for 3 years, it was also used for 1 year on the XJS (1989). It is a direct fit, no modification at all needed for the pre-1990 cars.

Last edited by sov211; 02-04-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:37 PM

Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to add this to the top of my wishlist.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any more pictures of the dash and center console area? It definitely has portions of a series 1 dash in it. Honestly, I am curious because I want to do something similar with my XJ12C restoration. I am curious how they worked it with the center console.

Thanks

Eric

Old 02-13-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
If you want a thicker and far more attractive wheel, you might consider the late Series III XJ wheel used on the V12 cars (1990-1992). It not only transforms the appearance of the interior, but because of its slightly smaller diameter and thicker rim it transforms the driving experience too (for the better). While this wheel was on the Series III cars for 3 years, it was also used for 1 year on the XJS (1989). It is a direct fit, no modification at all needed for the pre-1990 cars.

I've scoured the internet, car-part and lkq and can't locate one of these. Seems to be a unicorn. Do you have any leads on where I can find this steering wheel? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

BE VERY CAUTIOUS ABOUT BUYING THIS CAR!

As previously stated by the forum experts, the parts don't match the claim of the car being a series III.

Also:
The rust on the outside of the water box is not common for the XJ . The rust underneath the windscreen rubber is.
The rust on the fender lets me believe that this fender has been heavily damaged in the past and then been repaired in a cheap skate kind of way..

Last edited by Dutch-Cat; 02-14-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ebbnflow00
I've scoured the internet, car-part and lkq and can't locate one of these. Seems to be a unicorn. Do you have any leads on where I can find this steering wheel? Thanks in advance.
As you are in the US you will be looking for this wheel from a 1989 XJS - it was the only year this wheel was on any US-market Jaguar (but in those countries where the V12 Series III was sold - Canada, for example, it was used from 1990-92). Try David Boger at EverydayXJ.com . He has a good range of parts and if he does not have one he might have a suggestion for you. In any case, this wheel is well worth the search effort