XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Bones

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bones

Ok, I have been dickin around with this car for about 13 months, new coil, new plugs, new wires, new dist. pick-up, new Amplifier, new fuel switch over valve, new AFM, ... Checked and repaired all dry and cracked wires.. At this point, it will turn over, it will act like it wants to start, it has fire, fuel and the timing is correct. After I turn it over and over, it wants to start but hesitates to start, it kinda stops like it wants to back fire but doesn't, it stops then I continues crankin,,,, after a bit it just cranks, does not want to start at all, I pulled the plugs,,,, wet,wet,wet.. I dry said plugs, put them back, crank the engine, it wants to start, man it wants to start, it almost starts, then......it doesn't want to start, pull the plugs again, wet,wet,wet,,, I dry plugs put them back, crank engine, it want to start, but doesn't, its flooded.... WHY!!!:icon_ran t:

The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 12:25 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Check and see if you have spark at the plug. I would recheck my timing. You might of timed on the wrong cylinder. Also just because it's new doesn't mean it works!

Bones (09-07-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, wet plugs means a couple of things:

1. Too much fuel. flooded cylinders will not fire.

2. No spark at the plug to fire the mixture.

A strobe light can be very handy here as well as a dwell meter. Put the strobe on the coil to distributor wire and crank. If yes, go to each plug wire. if no, go tot he distributor and coil connections.

Yeah, I know, the dwell meters date back to coil and condenser days. Can't set the dwell provided by the electronic systems, but it will check if it is "making and breaking". Think of the logic of the electronic way.... Create the signal in the distributor and then "amplify" via the amplifier!!!! The, the amplified signal energizes the coil....

Just read a great article on this in "Automobile Restorer". different critter, similar issues.

Carl

Carl

afterburner1 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

you might have gotten firing order wrong, I did it once and it did what your saying.
number 1 is at Rear of motor, if distributor is installed correctly the # 1 wire is located to the left of the screw hold down at the screw that is closest to the motor and the rotation is counter clockwise.
I hope that makes sense and you are fired up.

Bones (09-07-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,933 Likes on 7,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones
I dry plugs put them back, crank engine, it want to start, but doesn't, its flooded.... WHY!!!:icon_ran t:

As mentioned you are either grossly over-fueling or you're not getting spark at the right time. Rechecking the firing order is an easy place to start and if you gotten it wrong, believe me, you won't be the first !

For major over-fueling I'd begin with pulling the vacuum hose of the pressure regulator and seeing if any raw gas drips out....indicating a ruptured regulator. Next, a fuel pressure test to determine if the regulator is actually regulating....as excessive pressure will easily over-fuel the cylinders.

Lastly, pinch off (or remove and plug) the fuel hose to the cold start injector and see if anything changes. A failure here isn't very likely but it has to be eliminated as a possibility.

Cheers
DD

Bones (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:50 AM

Let us know what you did to fix the problem. feed back is always good!

Good luck
afterburner

Bones (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by amaezing
you might have gotten firing order wrong, I did it once and it did what your saying.
number 1 is at Rear of motor, if distributor is installed correctly the # 1 wire is located to the left of the screw hold down at the screw that is closest to the motor and the rotation is counter clockwise.
I hope that makes sense and you are fired up.

Thank you.....
The number 1 (rear plug on engine) is just to the left of the dist cap hold down screw closes to the engine, after that the order is 53624... on the engine, does the firing order go 1-rear, then 2-3-4-5-6 ???

Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Default Bones

Ok, From the rear plug of the engine #1, does the order go, 23456, #6 being the front of the engine???

If so, the number 1 wire is just left of the screw that holds the dist cap nearest the engine then it goes 53624 counter clock wise. is this correct ?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:49 AM

IT's midnight and I will go out in the morning and check the firing order. It is not 1,2,3.4.5.6.
On the six cyl the number 1 plug is in the front and that is the one to time from with a strobe light. It is very easy with a strobe light and if you know the mark to time on. I have been away from timing Jag 6 engines for over 20 years. I think somebody else will jump in an fill you in on details. The good news is from your questions I think engine timing is the problem

Last edited by afterburner1; 09-08-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Changed location of #1 cyl (93 XJS)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bones
Thank you.....
The number 1 (rear plug on engine) is just to the left of the dist cap hold down screw closes to the engine, after that the order is 53624... on the engine, does the firing order go 1-rear, then 2-3-4-5-6 ???
Yes 1 is the rear and 6 is the front. 123456

Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Looked at my car, 93 XJS, from the Jaguar label on the engine the number 1 cylinder is in the front of the engine. The firing order is 153624. Looking at the distributer from the passenger side, left hand drive, the #3 wire is at 9 O'clock and the #4 wire is at the 3 O'clock position. the rest of the wires should follow the rotation of the distributor and the firing order.
If I remember correctly the drive of the distributor is keyed so you can't put it in 180 degrees out of phase. If nothing else is improperly set the engine should fire. You will still have to set the timing with a strobe light
Let us know!

Last edited by afterburner1; 09-08-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Bones:

I may be reading you wrong. But, are you mixing up cylinder location numbers with firing order????

One your signature, your car is the 4.2. Therefore, the cylinder nearest the firewall is designated number one. Then, count forward with the one nearest the radiator being number six.

Then see that the HT wires in the cap are directed BY THE ROTOR to the cylinder in the order of the "FIRING ORDER".

eXCUSE THE CAPS, PLEASE.

cARL

Old 09-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner1
Looked at my car, 93 XJS, from the Jaguar label on the engine the number 1 cylinder is in the front of the engine. The firing order is 153624. Looking at the distributer from the passenger side, left hand drive, the #3 wire is at 9 O'clock and the #4 wire is at the 3 O'clock position. the rest of the wires should follow the rotation of the distributor and the firing order.
If I remember correctly the drive of the distributor is keyed so you can't put it in 180 degrees out of phase. If nothing else is improperly set the engine should fire. You will stil have to set the timing with a strobe light
Let us know!
The '93 XJS has a completely different motor than the 4.2 XK, an AJ6 or AJ16. Same firing order because it is also a six, but rotor position and cylinder numbering won't equate.

Andrew.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Default Bones

Originally Posted by amaezing
Yes 1 is the rear and 6 is the front. 123456
Ok Guys, I appreciate all this help, you know what your talkin about, After reading all your posts I rechecked the timing on my 87 XJ6 4.2, This is how it is, a birds eye view looking down at the Dist. the cap has 2 hold down screws, looking at the screw close to the engine block, just to the left of that screw is #1 which goes to the rear plug on the engine, (closes to the fire wall). the next wire (going counter clock wise) goes to the 5th plug from the fire wall, the next wire goes to the 3rd plug from the fire wall, the next wire goes to the 6th plug on the engine ( front plug ), the next wire goes to 2nd plug from the fire wall and the last wire on the dist. goes to the 4th plug from the fire wall... I believe this is correct..... I do not think timing is the issue, although the car will start better when the dist. is turned all the way clock wise, but will not stay running, it eventually floods. There is no fuel in the vacume hose connected to the fuel regulator. Please, give me another clue on WHY does it flood...????

Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM

That all sounds like firing order is right, there than being retarded to far(i think thats right, could be advanced). as far as flooding goes, I am not to sure. could be somekind of electical malfunction to the injectors? Not sure. You've checked fuel pressure correct? have you checked the AFM? to seee if it's alowing air and not just straight fuel? Once again, just a stupid thought.
I think there will be someone else on here more qualified than I am on this issue. but ill keep thinking for you

Bones (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Bones I know you are frustrated; you got more help than you can assimilate with different engine different firing order etc. My advise to is to insure your timing order is correct with the distributor and your engine are properly setup and timed. Then if it doesn't fire, check the next easiest thing and work back from there.
Let us know!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by afterburner1
Bones I know you are frustrated; you got more help than you can assimilate with different engine different firing order etc. My advise to is to insure your timing order is correct with the distributor and your engine are properly setup and timed. Then if it doesn't fire, check the next easiest thing and work back from there.
Let us know!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM

Thank you