XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I carry a 22mm deep socket and a large ½" ratchet which works on both the jack and the lugnuts. Gave up on the factory foldable jack handle a long time ago.

it also works for the sump drain bolt and the tanks drain bolts. One tool, four uses.

having said that, the factory lugnut tool does the same but it doesn't ratchet.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Bungee cords.

I am not in favor of them. My bias. Dumb use can hurt one. In my past career, I did have a claim by a fellow that was tying his bike to a spare tire on his van. A cord popped off and the hook smacked him in the eye. he kept the eye, but it took some healing. My insured was the retailer!!! No recourse to the maker. China!!!

Now, in my investigation, I found two things
1. Some had a closing latch for the hook. Much safer. that did me in, I settled with the guy.

2. Some are merely flat rubber. Not the woven cord. The former would be a fitting Jaguar replacement.

Trivia, oh yeah.

Carl

Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

I had forgotten that I had also modified my strap. I just realized it today. My apologies but I put my car in storage 15 months ago and I am just getting back to it, the good news, the battery maintainer kept going all 15 months and still kicking!!! It saved my Interstate battery and the engine started after putting fresh gasoline.

ok, so today I opened the trunk for the second time and guess what? I looked at the strap and toolkit and BAM it hit me! I had removed the factory strap because I was fed up with not being able to make it tight enough to keep the toolkit from sliding.

here's what I did: you know those buckled straps that come with luggage? Plastic buckles and cloth straps. I took one of those and used it for the toolkit.

here's how I did it: I measured the distance between the factory "bracket" that protrudes on the side upholstery panel, and the opposite side of the toolkit case.

I cut another hole opening, same width as the new strap,

I inserted one end of the strap through the hole, ran it behind the chipboard panel, and came out the other hole. Presto! That's it. I rethreaded the buckle to the strap (one of the buckles is always removable), and now I can tighten the strap by just pulling it.

see the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-01-toolkit-strap.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-02-toolkit-strap.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Which side the toolkit?

So Jose,

You fashioned a retaining strap for your toolbox. OK.

From your photo, the toolbox is now on the left hand side of the boot (trunk).

I am assuming this is where the jack cloth fabric strap was? OR does this vary with US spec'ed cars?

I note that Lnrb has her jack strap on the left hand side.

I have never seen the toolbox factory fitted on the left hand side of ANY Australian Series Three cars

Furthermore, with the Australian delivered cars, there are two specific mounting points for the toolbox strap on the trim panel wall

1; An anchoring point rearward for a buckle to accommodate the fixed end on the strap

2; A raised metal 'A' shaped pressing forward (towards the lip of the boot / trunk opening) with a slot cut in it for the 'loose' end of the strap to fit into to restrain it

Cheers,

Nigel

PS As for onboard Pneumatic jacks, a lot of weight and space for an occasional use?

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-boot-old-boot-strap-open-pin.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-boot-new-strap-place.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-boot-strap-clip-almost-there.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Nigel,
the way you describe it is correct, same thing in my car.

but if you remove the opposite side upholstery panel, and you look at the back of the chipboard, the markings for the cutouts are there, because that is where the 12 cylinder XJ have their toolkit, on the opposite side of the jack bag. And also, where the XJ-6 has its jack bag in Australian or RHD cars.

My jack bag has always been on the left side, the strap was bolted where you can see a round black plug under the toolkit. It was vertically mounted until I did the horizontal mounted strap.

the jack bag is now in the spare tire compartment, I modified the spare too. See the next pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-xj12-toolkit-mounting.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 07-15-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

so I modified my spare tire with a modern X308 "donut" spare, and now there is room for the jack bag in there under the removable panel which I also modified.

David boger (Everyday XJ) found me the Series 2 holdown for the spare tire.

Why did I do that? because the original boot floor panels had become mushy and distorted, so I made the two panels out of solid wood, stained them in Black Forest stain and polyurethaned them, talk about picnic tables. the original material was some sort of pressed cardboard??

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-01-xj6-trunk-panel.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-02-xj-6-trunk-panel.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-03-xj-6-spare.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-04-xj-6-foam-pad.jpg   Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-05-xj-6-carpet.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
davidboger (07-16-2015), LnrB (07-15-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

here's an example of what I meant earlier, both the toolkit and jack bag, one on each side. This is someone else's car.

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-toolkit-jack-bag.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 07-16-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Jose:

Woops, where is all your other stuff?

My boot is clean, albeit cluttered. neat clutter, though!!

The spare was too fat for the lid to close down all the way. the little plastic turn screw ala Dzus was to short. I made a replica, longer and in steel.

Those sorta spares just leave a little for my taste. Left over bias from my early days of flats and blow outs, a common thing. Need a decent spare or two tyo get home.

I do have neat little plastic 12v compressor. A bit slow, but does top off a low tire rather nicely.

Jag relays almost in place. One lead to go to the brake switch under the driver scuttle.

Getting hot, came in for inside chores.

Carl

Old 07-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

what other stuff Carl? I only have the toolkit and the jack bag is under the wood panel / spare tire compartment.

I went with a "donut" spare for the same reason you did, I got tired of the panel not closing over the tire.

look at the pictures two or three replies above. My trunk is pristine,

so is the S type trunk, perfectly pristine complete with factory toolkit. See picture below

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-spare-tire-compartment-s-type.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 07-16-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,346 Likes on 5,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
[...]
I went with a "donut" spare for the same reason you did, I got tired of the panel not closing over the tire.
[...]
That's what I'm gonna do too, then! My trunk floor is 1-1/2 inches too high because of the spare.

How were they packed from the factory?? Flat? That's the Only way the floor would be level in my car. that's for sure!

Now all I have to do is convince husband that we don't need a matching spare rim which is cracked anyway, and for the one time I needed the spare it was flat, and asap we get to the tire shop for repairs, so a donut spare should be fine -- because it will probably be flat when I need it too!

EDIT: Where did you get the proper fitting donut spare, Jose? Husband says it's a good idea.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 07-16-2015 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jose (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Not critical of your boots. Indeed, each are pristine. Mine are clean as well. But, each has cargo. Shopping bags. stores no longer give plastic bags and their paper is fifty cents. Nice, though.

A tool box in each. left from the old days when one could do a roadside patch ups.
Water jugs for car, me and dog. Rain gear. Flash lights. Music tapes. Blankets.

And, a shileeagh in each. Good for navigating, protection and awakening reluctant starters.

The jaguar's jack is in it'sa bag stowed on the left wall.

the jeep's unused jacvk is under a passenter seat.

And, the Jeep has it's orogoinal full size spare wheel and tire.Pristine, never mounted on the car!!! Big sucker!!

Carl

Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Spare Tyre wont fit in tyre well??

Hi LnrB and Jose,

If your tyres (tires) wont fit in their wells, the obvious questions are;

1, Are the tyres the correct width (The manual says tread of 205 - any wider, then spare tyre in the well will stick up and stop the boot floor from closing).

2, Is the spare tyre fouling with the fuel pump and plumbing in the spare well?

Cheers,

Nigel

Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

in my car I use 235/60/15 tires so a full size spare is too "tall" for the spare tire compartment. That is why I went with a "donut spare" from a modern XJ-6, leaves plenty of room for other stuff and the trunk floor panel closes flush as it should.

why carry a flat spare just to make it fit the spare tire compartment?

also a fully inflated (60 psi) donut spare weighs about half less than a full size spare.

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-teardrop-spare.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

in my car I use 235/60/15 tires so a full size spare is too "tall" for the spare tire compartment. That is why I went with a "donut spare" from a modern XJ-6, leaves plenty of room for other stuff and the trunk floor panel closes flush as it should.

why carry a flat spare just to make it fit the spare tire compartment?

also a fully inflated (60 psi) donut spare weighs about half less than a full size spare.
I think you should do all five wheels that way. Should look cool. 🆒😎

Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I think, the well was designed for the original 205 70 15 tires. My 215's even on 6.0 Kents were a tad too tall. And the 215 on a 7" lattice, even more so. so, it has a Kent as a spare with the best of the 215's that I replaced. Old tech rotation. Buy new tires, best of the old goes to spare. The one that was in the sell when I got the car in 2001 was ancient then. PO's did not do the rotation technique!!

All is well in the boots of the Hutchins fleet.

On the other end, things coming along well in the Jaguar's relay rack. Well, except, I dropped the 5/16' 1/4" drive socket into the abyss. Hasn't fallen free yet. And the probe with the stick with a strong magnet hasn't come up with it. Fall back position, hex drive socket??? Junky little rack but fits...

Carl

Carl

Old 07-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

No fuel plumbing in my tire well as all that was removed when the car was converted to V8 in 1986.

She came to me with 215/60/15 Michelins on Xj40 Tear Drop rims. The spare compartment was overfilled at that time, and hasn't improved any with the installation of new stiffer sidewall tires.

Husband says it's a good idea to find a donut spare, but, Jose, he would like to know what yours was originally intended to fit.
(';')

Old 07-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Lnrb:

any donut spare, from any Jaguar after 1995 will fit and do the job. They come with a heavy duty Pirelli Temporary Use tire and a very nice robust wheel, except it is a very loud orange color so you don't forget to replace it a.s.a.p.

Look in your local Craigslist for any Jaguar parts car and grab the first one you find.
very handy and easy to replace.

as to holding it down in place, your original Series 2 holdown can work if you add a bushing over the stud and a washer-spacer. But you really do not need a holdown.

LnrB (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Saemetric
I think you should do all five wheels that way. Should look cool. 🆒😎
would look too pimpy.

Last edited by Jose; 07-17-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Lnrb:

any donut spare, from any Jaguar after 1995 will fit and do the job. They come with a heavy duty Pirelli Temporary Use tire and a very nice robust wheel, except it is a very loud orange color so you don't forget to replace it a.s.a.p.

Look in your local Craigslist for any Jaguar parts car and grab the first one you find.
very handy and easy to replace.

as to holding it down in place, your original Series 2 holdown can work if you add a bushing over the stud and a washer-spacer. But you really do not need a holdown.
Thank you, Jose,
There's a 1995 in the local yard. They take the spares out when the car is received. So do you mean AFTER 1995, as in '96 and later, or will the '95 have come with a spare, IF the owners didn't keep it?
(';')

Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

yes,
late XJ-40 , then X300, X308, all should have donuts.

LnrB (07-17-2015)

Quick Reply: Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement