XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Tyre Sizes and Temporary Spares Tyres

Scratching my head a bit Jose

The Series Three as we all know has one of the most plush rides around

Is there a reason why you have opted for 235's? 1 1/4 inches isn't going to add too much of anything to the handling to notice, other than an ill fitting boot floor panel.

Also with the weight of these cars being almost 5,000 lbs, I want to know that I have plenty of rubber on the ground at all times.

Skinny limp home wheels don't cut it in my book from a safety perspective under any circumstances, let alone the restricted speeds due to their general last resort capabilities or lack therein.

In Australia, if you get a flat out in the country (out of the cities), it could be over 60 miles to the nearest 'gas' station and then, you could still luck out if they don't have the tyre size you need.

Not to mention that even though Victoria (South Eastern Australian State) has the best maintained road surfaces in the country, you still come across some pretty dodgy surfaces from time to time. Definitely not what you want to drive a heavy car over with a skinny limp home wheel on one end.

Cheers and happy safe driving,

Nigel

Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose

any donut spare, from any Jaguar after 1995 will fit and do the job.

Did Jaguar use multi-bolt-pattern mini spares to accommodate the different bolt patterns of later cars? If not, the spare from 'any' Jaguar after 1995 might not fit an earlier model.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-18-2015, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

yes,
late XJ-40 , then X300, X308, all should have donuts.

I replace 'should have' with 'could have'.

My 1995 X300 had the full size spare. Technically I think it was optional equipment. Not sure how many came that way. Perhaps base models got the mini spare and upper-line models got the full size?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Nigel, the only time I have needed to replace a tire was recently after I put the car in storage for 15 months and the tire went flat in storage. Never while on the road. If you have good quality tires, chances are few that you will need to change a tire. These donuts are fine for as long as the tire has air in it, there is no limit on the mileage you can go with them. With the understanding that it is a temporary use spare, not a permanent solution. As to the width of my Dunlops, I like the way the car looks with fat tires. For me the spare donut is just a way to save space and weight.

Doug, the donut I have has the same bolt pattern, if you mean the tire height is not the same as the other tires in the car, it doesn't matter, it's a temporary spare anyway.

the best way to answer any doubt about donut spares is to TRY the donut spare in your car, if it fits, then fine, if not, look for another one.

if the full size spares became Optional Equipment at some point, then a Jaguar Dealer would be a great source for donuts, I bet they would be glad to get rid of them.

Here's one way to locate Jaguar donut tires:

Go to Pull-a-Part Pull-A-Part: Used Auto Parts | We Buy Salvage Junk Cars-The Un-Junkyard - Pull-A-Part

check in locations near you, then check their inventory for Jaguar,. most of these Pull-a-Part locations give you the donuts FREE, regardless of make of car.

another salvage yard franchise who does the same is: U-pull-and-Pay

U-Pull-&-Pay - Self-Serve Used Auto Parts : U-Pull-&-Pay

Both companies give away the donuts.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Doug, the donut I have has the same bolt pattern, if you mean the tire height is not the same as the other tires in the car, it doesn't matter, it's a temporary spare anyway.

"Bolt Pattern" refers to the diameter of the bolt circle. If the bolt pattern does not match then you won't be able to put the wheel on the car. Not the same thing as height.

However, if by chance you have an older Jag (or any other car) with limited slip differential you won't want to use a smaller diameter/height spare tire....as doing so can damage the limited slip mechanism. In thinking about it that's surely why my '95 came with a full size spare, as it had a limited slip differential

Anyhow, our older Jags have a 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern....very common. The X-type and (modern) S-type had a different pattern. The X300s and X308s had the same 5 x 4.75, but the models afterwards had a different pattern.

the best way to answer any doubt about donut spares is to TRY the donut spare in your car, if it fits, then fine, if not, look for another one.

I agree, and that's much better advice than telling everyone that the donut spare from *any* 1995-later jag will fit !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

More thinking:

1. Doug beat me to the comment about Limited slip differentials and wheels and tires of different diameters. I am not sure that an open diff is all that happy with that difference as well. The spur gears that are normally at rest are racing around!!! Probably OK in the Dana types. Four of them. some lesser cvars have only two!!!

2. But, a sound do nut may be safer than an ancient spare. The one in my jaguar dates back to the ice age, I think. the one in my Jeep is original, 21 years old!!!

3. There re ways of determing fit that lies somewhere between "word of mouth" and "fitment". First, Measure center of lug hole to lug hole & center hole. Make a pattern of cardboard. Take the rule and/or pattern or both to the junk yard.

4. Free? probably not around here!!!

5. Some straight line racers like those donuts for the front wheels.

6. I have a vague recollection that some are alloy.

7. Jose's red one is striking!!

Carl

Old 07-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What Toolbox?

What tool box?

I wondered what that strap was for.
This is my trunk picture.
I just bought a vintage toolbox for ebay.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

That's where you're jack bag would go.

The tool kit, when supplied, is strapped on the right side of the trunk

Cheers
DD

Old 07-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
4. Free? probably not around here!!!

Nobody wants them; no market value. It's cost money to dispose of them (because of tire fees).

Back in my dealer days we'd sell hundreds of vehicles to 'fleets' of one type or another. They'd usually want full size spare tires included in the bid. Often it was not a factory option so we'd order full size wheels and tires to satisfy the specification.

So far, so good....but who is left with the burden of getting rid of the donut spare?

After getting burned we got around that problem by simply leaving it in the vehicle for the buyer to take care of. Soon enough they got wise and specified 'dealer to dispose of unused donut spare' . We had ** hundreds ** of em and couldn't give 'em away. Cost us $6.00/tire to legally dispose of them.

Then we got wise and included a 'spare tire disposal fee' in the bidding process to cover the expense!

Cheers
DD

Old 08-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

here's the original jack strap from my '84 XJ-6, I removed it because I could not figure it out after years of trying. My '65 S type has a similar strap and buckle for the jack.

I never throw old parts away unless they are greasy ball joints or u-joints.

Attached Thumbnails Boot / Trunk Toolbox Strap Replacement-xj-jack-bag-strap.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

here's the original jack strap from my '84 XJ-6, I removed it because I could not figure it out after years of trying. My '65 S type has a similar strap and buckle for the jack.

I never throw old parts away unless they are greasy ball joints or u-joints.
Jose,
Below is a series of pictures of fastening my buckle:

It's over-center so has the effect of tightening the strap also.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 08-02-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Nobody wants them; no market value. It's cost money to dispose of them (because of tire fees).
Not any more.

I found out that apparently on some new vehicles, a spare of any kind is
an extra cost option. Times change.

So some people get them from junk yards and the yards have caught
on around here. $50 for a mounted donut. Maybe they saw the guy
coming.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Lnrb:
thanks for the tips on the strap, as you know I removed the factory strap and replaced it with a modern "buckle" type found on luggage.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-03-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Simple thinking, my style.

I went on errands in the Jaguar. It purred. It "enjoys"' an original jack sack and the strap that secures it to the boot wall.

Well, a neighbor down the road had a cabinet out with a "free' sign. I can't resist.
Finished errands. Came home. Oh, oh, still there!!! Jag boot might have worked, Jeep better. Came back with Jeep. Too much "junk" in Jeep "boot" for cabinet wand close the hatch. Short distance. Got rope from box. A woven sisal like material. Secured cabinet. Home safe. The rope would have done just fine as a jack sack retainer in the Jaguar!!

Ropes and chains have always been useful around here.

Carl