XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Bugs in the system

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugs in the system

Hi
Just a few questions for my 1984 series 3 XJ6
The wipers work ok on intermittent but on speed. 1 or 2 they stop as soon as they are switched off. Is the wiper park system part of the stalk switch or is it elseware.
Second and more concerning is a rubbing noise I get when moving, At standstill and at speeds up to 2 to 3 mph everything is good after that I get a sort of rubbing noise and the frequency increases with speed I have checked the disks and the prop shaft guard ect but everything is ok.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Mark

Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Mark:

Wiper park is known to be sporadic. Jaguar Expert, Gregory Andrachuk, taught us early
on, how to deal with it. Put the stalk in off and then give it a gentle downward tap.Works for me on the rare times, I drive mine in the rain.

Carl

Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Mine has not done it, but some report that the "dust covers" on the ujoints of the 1/2 shafts come adrift and rub.

Or, the exhaust pipe hangers astern sag and the pipes in the cage drag a bit.

Enjoy, these are minutia in Jag stewardship.

Carl

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,989 Likes on 7,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Sibbo
Hi
Just a few questions for my 1984 series 3 XJ6
The wipers work ok on intermittent but on speed. 1 or 2 they stop as soon as they are switched off. Is the wiper park system part of the stalk switch or is it elseware.

The wiper motor itself has a 'park switch' but more commonly it's the stalk switch casing the problem.

There was once a web page called "SK Jag Tech" that had instructions on repairing the switch. Hopefully someone will come along who saved the info. I didn't, darn it

Second and more concerning is a rubbing noise I get when moving, At standstill and at speeds up to 2 to 3 mph everything is good after that I get a sort of rubbing noise and the frequency increases with speed I have checked the disks and the prop shaft guard ect but everything is ok.

Any thoughts
I think Carl's remarks will put you on the right track

Cheers
DD

Old 03-18-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated

Mark

Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,865 Posts

most likely the switch internal contacts are worn and the wires that come into the switch are not making proper contact. If you remove the underdash panel, and the lower half of the steering column plastic cover, you can get your hand up and find the wiring harness connected to the switch; With engine and wipers running, transmission in Park, grab the wires and push them in towards the switch to see if you get the wipers to park when you turn the switch to OFF, usually it is the black ground wire losing contact.