XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Bullet style AC Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bullet style AC Amplifier

I have seen references to an aftermarket replacement for the troubled AC amplifier in the SIII XJ6. Does anyone have experience with these; know where to find them; or know if they are even still available?

Last edited by Translator; 03-23-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: title correction
Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Default Amplifier

Someone over at JagLovers mentioned that he couldn't find one for any of the normal suppliers. I had one installed a few years ago by Delongs over in Campbell... not sure if he can still get them. You might want to try swapping out a known good unit to make sure you really need an amplifier.

Ryan

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM

I know the unit I have is bad and has been so for some time. I wanted to get the bullet style replacement hoping it would be an improvement and last much longer than the originals did. At this vintage, I suppose most of the original units are likely to have problems.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a new amplifier from Jagbits a couple of years ago, but looking there now it looks like all they sell is a used unit. Not sure what the deal is there.

I think the bullet unit that was mentioned on Jaglovers is from an outfit out of Australia: Jaguar Spare Parts Supplier - Jag Prestige Spares- H/H Prestige Spares - Australia's Largest Independant

Don't know anything about the part or the supplier, but some comments I read were positive.

Good luck.

Eric

Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
ROD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I had been looking for the new tube AC amplifier, and people led me to:

caulfieldjag.com.au

Some advice: I just found out googling "caulfie" and hitting enter is not a good idea if your girlfirend or wife is near by. The first result that comes up is a boob job place.

The Caulfield AC amplifier looks like the one Ronin gave us a link to. If they ARE the same, Caulfield told me they were having problems getting a new supplier to make them. I contacted Johns Cars which I was told sold the amps in the Us, but same story. I would assume it'll be difficult to get at Jag Prestige.

I just boutght a used one for $50 that was supposed to be good, but I'm still stuck with no cold AC. I'm going to look for an in-car temp sensor now, which apparently will have to be a used one because new ones aren't made.

ROD

Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ROD,

What are your symptoms? Just trying to make sure it sounds like the amplifier is the problem.

When mine was bad, my A/C would fluxuate from cold A/C to heat, back and forth. After replacing the amplifier it was fixed.

Not sure why new ones are hard to find now.

Good luck,

Eric

Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
ROD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Eric, I got the XJ12 about a year ago, and the AC never blew cold air. It has always blown hot air, which has limited my driving enjoyment. I actually tied the Heater Valve closed to reduce the agony.

The previous owner had the same problem, changed a bunch of things with no results, and then ended up selling it.

I posted details about my system's condition in a recent thread (Having difficulty finding an AC Amplifier)

I'd appreciate any feedback on that thread.

ROD