XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Buyer Beware? Or Steal Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer Beware? Or Steal Deal?

Im looking at buying a 1985 Series III XJ6, between 105k and 120k miles, needs an ignition switch, and is currently for sale at a local shop and has been there since maybe April-March. I called to inquire about its possible problems and that seems to be it. I have a list of things to look out for such as rust, electronics and mechanical wise, but for $1500 is there anything with this mix of things i should possibly be aware or beware of? Anything with age in this year could be a lot of money down the road? I have little to no expenses except gas and the occasional fast food run since Im about to become a senior in High School. I understand that buying a prime example is the way to go with these cars, but Im at a lack of funds to do so. But I can afford certain parts Ive been told it needs. I really would like to rid myself of my current headache and heartache (saab 900T) since Ive always longed for a British luxury sedan. And any questions i should ask the mechanic at the shop to make my trip there worth it and me more knowledgeable would be prime as well to know. Thank you!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

In the Series I-II-III section there's a buyers guide in one of the sticky threads at the top. It's probably the same one I wrote for the JCNA webpage, though, which I think you've already read

To be 100% honest a 28 year old used Jag in that price range is a risky deal. I can just about promise it needs LOTS of work. There's a good chance that it won't be any better than the SAAB.

At that age and mileage you might expect a blown head gasket, loose tappet guides, weak transmission, inoperative climate control, seized/leaky brake calipers, rusty fuel tanks....so ask about those things at least.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Well, if its a headache, at least is will be a comfortable classy headache lol. Im saving up a few bucks as it is to get a new car, so I would guess id invest that into the Jag if I ever bought it. Thanks though for telling me what to ask about! I live in a richy area outside Cleveland so it could have come from a caring source. Guess ill have to find out.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts
Default I'm skeptical...

A few things to consider...

The ignition switch is an easy and cheap fix. Why doesn't the mechanic just fix it for the 100$ it would cost and sell the car as running and driving?

So many things can go wrong with a 28 year old car with an unknown history. Some are cheap / easy fixes but most are not.

If you're mechanically inclined, have a garage, tools etc and it runs then you can do the brakes, change all the fluids and check the shocks. If you not inclined to do the work yourself it will get expensive real quick.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

All great advice. I was given my 1985 as a gift. Not running. When I got it home, I pulled the oil plug and got nothing but water out of the sump. For me, this started an adventure with a vehicle I knew nothing about, and I am having a grand time bringing back to life. It is not cheap, it is alot of work, you need to be sure this is something you are ready for. On the other hand - plenty of people on this site, and some others, love this type of vehicle and freely offer time and advice. And as you can also tell if you browse through these posts - when they are taken care of - they run great - they perform well - and can be alot of fun. A unique experience for sure. Im pretty new here - but I would say put the switch in and see how she runs. If the engine appears to be solid, go for it. For a 1500 dollar car - you can have the same problems with a FORD or a NISSAN in the same price range. If you get a running Jag for 1500 - your way ahead of the game.

The following users liked this post:
Newcastle1994 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup.

Any mechanic can jump start it. if it runs decently or close to it go to the next step.

Upholstery, rust and paint are big budget items. If it passes those and the run test, make an offer. If not, shop further.

A runing car is exponentialy worth more than a non-runner!! But, the risk involved may be the difference between a bargain and a flop!!

Some years ago, my son was given a non runner mid seventies Lincoln Continental sedan. Fixed the NS, cleaned it up. Hello $1500 and the new owner was tickled to death. I was temnpted and had it been a tudor rather than a fordor....

Carl

Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Im more worried about the mechanical aspects of the car and what to be worried of in that field. I understand that the majority of the forum here and then some have certain expectations of a Jaguar, but for me peely paint or an aged interior really dont matter much to me unless they stop the car from performing somehow. Anything possibly wrong with it I would of course fix over a period of time, but for the start, I just want to make sure it runs and can take me from point A to point B without being too much of a headache with standard maintenance and care that Im willing to provide to such a prestigious piece of art.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, in that case, insist that the engine fire and you drive the car and find it mechanicaly decent or no deal.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't like telling people what to do with their money, but since you're asking! I also bought my Jag for $1500. It hadn't run in many years, but with some TLC & a minimal amount of additional $ spent (approx. $100 for a fuel pump/hoses) it has been a very rewarding vehicle. Of course, your experience may vary.
The truth is that I have been infatuated with Jaguars since I was in first grade. Had I bought mine at your age, it would be a much better vehicle today than what it is now. Having kids and other "home" related responsibilities greatly hampers my ability to cater to the finer maintenance requirements of these cars. But, it is still drivable & safe in the summer months when I take her out, which is all I want it for.
Ultimately, if you are willing to put a little-ok a lot of time & elbow grease into it, it could be something very worthwhile & unique. As Doug and Cadjag have warned, it's not a vehicle to purchase haphazardly on a whim...which from what I can tell you are not doing. Follow the mechanical warnings and all will go well for you. Jag on!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Nursing an old Jag back to health can be very rewarding and, actually, lots of fun. I generally support such efforts....so long as the owner has good awareness of what he's getting into.... and am always willing to help.

My real concern and cause for reservations in this case is that Newcastle apparently wants to replace a troublesome SAAB with something better. Frankly, I see "...out of the frying pan and into the fire" written all over this scenario.

I'm not wanting to sound fatherly or preachy but I'll admit that I'm thinking "How would I advise one of my own kids in the same situation?"

Cheers
DD

Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
The ignition switch is an easy and cheap fix. Why doesn't the mechanic just fix it for the 100$ it would cost and sell the car as running and driving?
+1

It probably just needs some air in the tires too, lol! Simple fixes should be done before a car is offered for sale. I would say that the seller is a bit far from the truth on that one.

Caveat emptor.
Vector

Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I started on a Mark 2 rebuild in 1980 when I was in my late 20s. If I had begun to think of the cost and effort, I'd never have started, as it took 7 years !!

You are younger than I was, and no doubt energetic, and provided the car is not tooooo bad, it will be a very interesting project to get it running and in reasonable condition to use. Be in no doubt, however, that you will need to buy some parts, and some of those will have to be new. You will also need a heavy duty trolley jack and a good set of tools, plus, hopefully a garage to keep the car in. The good thing about Jaguars is that there is so much available on the internet.

If you want any advice, Doug Dwyer is our resident expert, but I'm not too far behind having had a Series 3 for 14 years, and done most aspects.

Two absolutely key documents are needed, worth more than their weight in gold - the Series 3 Workshop Manual, and the Parts Manual. Without these two you could struggle a bit.

The Jaguar Xj6/Xj12 Series 3 Workshop Manual: 1979-1987: Amazon.co.uk: Jaguar Cars Ltd: Books The Jaguar Xj6/Xj12 Series 3 Workshop Manual: 1979-1987: Amazon.co.uk: Jaguar Cars Ltd: Books
http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-87-JAGUAR...ed0b3f&vxp=mtr

If it's an '85, then you're probably buying the best constructed of the series; those made in the late 70s and early 80s were not built well at all. I know this for a fact, as mine was a 1980 !!

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 07-11-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

did anyone mention RUST,RUST,RUST.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my 87 XJ6 III two months ago for $750.00, it's been Lumped with a chevy 5.0L TBI and a matched 350 turbo transmission. Screams like a bat out of....
What I would look for, as well as everything else mentioned in this thread, are the electrical system compnent connection points. Usually electrical issues are simply to clean & snug the connections and all will be good from that aspect.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I blew a headgasket on a 84 vdp in San Diego, it has costed 4k$ and I lost 50% of power.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:21 PM

Well, I actually went and looked at it. Loved that wave of British luxury car smell you're greeted with, It was a one owner from Pennsylvania and never saw a winter, some rust is starting to bubble in the places ive been forewarned about, 125k miles, its gonna need an Alternator and an ignition switch. The guy at the shop was a bit of an *** but at least let me take my time looking at it and try getting it started. I go to (hopefully) see it run in a couple days. Very clean rust wise, no rot or anything. Brakes are rock hard pressing on the pedal, windows go up and down. Hell the trip computer still turns on.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well, $1500 is £980, not a lot really, but about right for a car that is very thirsty on fuel and can cost a lot of money to bring up to scratch.

The real issue is - do you want to cherish this car ? All other questions are based on this, like do you have spare cash to spend on it, do you want it as a daily driver etc. If you don't cherish a car like this, you are wasting your time; you have to really love the car.

There is really nothing quite like a good and well-sorted Series 3 for driving; it really does have that unstated "something". The boulevard ride combined with really good handling and roadholding, the interior ambience, that wonderful engine bay, etc. I had mine for 14 years, so it was a faithful mistress, if that's not an oxymoron !!

If you do buy it, be prepared for work, but satisfying work.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Well I work part time and Im in high school with no expenses. I have an idea what id have to do, Id be using it for daily use, but before diving into it, aside from fluid maintenance, what else in that department should I keep after? Aside from a trip to the car wash as sadly Id have to drive this in the winter. Which id probably be getting the car coat protected for.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Are you sure you have the funds and skills needed to keep a car like this on the road ? Youth always has confidence and energy in it's favour, and can learn quickly if guided by someone who has already done their time on Jaguars, However, even so, I would be reluctant to use such a car as a daily driver straightaway. One thing, though, is guaranteed; winter use will quickly start the rust bug up again, as these cars were not very well protected.

However if you have a Fairy Godmother or Father to provide funds, then you could go for it, but be prepared for things going wrong. A 1985 car, i.e 28 years old, is not really something for daily driving especially one so complex and, (sometimes), unforgiving as these cars. Although a 1985, the design is 1967, and the cars changed very little over that time, except for fuel injection instead of carburettors.

PS - don't let me put you off too much. Sometimes in life we must follow our instincts !!

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 08-12-2013 at 03:08 PM.