XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

BW66 S3 XJ6 gear shift cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BW66 S3 XJ6 gear shift cable

I have installed a BW66from a 1987 XJ6 into my mk2. I am using the original steering column selector lever. I would appreciate a photograph of the gear shift cable where it attaches to the transmission.

I suspect that the "throw" of the column selector is shorter than the original console shifter.

thanks

bob

Old 02-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 10,508 Likes on 6,940 Posts

Good Lord.

I did that to my S Type a very long time ago, and the memory snaps are fuzzy at best.

The column shifter is just fine, although the DG and "66" pattern are different, so I had a new idicator plastic bit made to suit, and messed with the lockout pin on that lever, but the details are gone.

As to the trans end, I reckon I used the rod set up that the DG used, and just fiddled with the adjustments until it all worked. It was not hard, and I dont remember cutting/welding/bending anything.

The shift cable angle of the dnagle at the carbies was FUN, not, but eventually got it sorted.

Sorry if that is of little help, but its all that is coming forth at the moment, but I will keep thinking. Maybe I did some notes in the masses of files in the shed, dont remember, but I will look.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts

If you are trying to match the "throw" between the shift lever and the trans shift "arm" there is a product made by Lokar that attaches to the trans shifter mechanism and is adjustable - it has a slot with a locking nut.

I used one to help me sync the gear indicator on the console with the transmission gear selector, on my V8 conversion which has a 700r4 trans and a XJS gear selector (swapped the xj6 one for this one) after fiddling with the selector housing / cable and the adjustable arm I managed to get it pretty close.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-08-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.8s

Grant
The 3.8S used both the DG250 and BW35 automatic transmissions. At least as far as my memory goes. As far as I can determine the XJ6 shift cable has 3 inches of travel while the DG250 shift cable has 2 inches of travel. I have so far been unable to get t he transmission selector to function properly with the "DG250" (original) hand gear selector. If your car had the DG250 I would be very interested in the details of mating the original gear selector to the BW66 transmission.

Alynmurray-Thanks for your information. I spoke with the man who offers the GM auto conversion. He was very evasive about connecting the gear hand selector to the GM transmission. That was one reason I chose to use the BW66 as many people told me it was basically a bolt in proposition.

I located the kick down mechanism from a BW35 equipped 340 which bolts to the rear carb. This enables the BW66 to get the proper "signals". The throttle position dictates the internal fluid pressure. I needed a 5 inch longer "kick down" cable. I had it fabricated by "California Push-Pull" from a new XJ6 cable.

I will check out Lokar. I have also purchased the under dash / outer steering column /parts from a 420. Apparently same as the BW35 equipped MK2. I can use those parts but that will require some fabrication and I have yet to determine which inner steering column would be correct.

Bob

Old 02-10-2016, 03:08 AM
Received 10,508 Likes on 6,940 Posts

OK, nothing in the notes that makes any sense this far down the track.

This was done in about 1988, so many sleeps since then, and I really just did what was needed at the time to make it work, never thinking anyone would want a recall, bugga.

Same brain process as the fitment of a Hyundai power steer rack and BMW steer pump to the same car, to make it easier to drive. Then came the ducted air con, oh boy.

It was a 3.4 S Type with DG auto.

Something in my head is leading me to the shift arm on the outside of the trans. I reckon I used the DG arm on the BW66, and that gave the movement I needed.

BUT, maaaaate, it was that long ago I am really guessing at best.

It was NOT rocket science whatever I did, as I am NOT a rocket scientist in any stretch of that phrase.

The power steer was FUN, again simply did it one step at a time until it did what I wanted.

NO Forums in them days, just a good old shady tree, BEER a plenty, a can do attitude, and the ability to "think outside the square", which appaerntly we Aussies are good at.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-10-2016 at 03:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (02-10-2016)