XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

A/C hose routing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 608 Posts
Default A/C hose routing

I can't find my file/copy of A/C hose routing. I have the engine and a dummy transmission in the car now and am working through a "dress rehearsal" while waiting for the real trans. I have all the parts for the system, just not sure which hose goes where. If someone has any kind of diagram that would help me, I would appreciate a copy.

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-15-2021, 06:13 AM
Received 150 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure if this is useful but I made this from my 85 SIII

Randy

Old 05-15-2021, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,085 Likes on 460 Posts

Dave, what condenser and dryer/ accumulattor are you running? I used the camaro setup that attached to front of camaro radiator, i used . The camaro line to attach to accumulator, and the camaro compressor manifold lines to attach directly to condenser as well, then had custom lines made that confront accumulate to expansion block and from compressor manifold lines to expansion block, , I will try to get some pics, but not sure they will show up well!

Old 05-15-2021, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

To add to what I did, I will say, it’s not perfect and I am redoing the low side line to add a port to tie in a low pressure switch, I currently have zero safety measures if I have a leak, no matter what I try, I cannot make the system work when using the camaro pcm, so it is bypassed and running straight through jag controls!

Old 05-15-2021, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,273 Likes on 5,413 Posts

I'll get some photos of mine, Dave, and post them later today.
(';')

Old 05-15-2021, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My installation is with the Johnscars kit. It mimics the original Jaguar arrangement.
Except, of course, the LT1 compressor.

Not too happy with it. The lies run along the lower part of the right wing wall !!! interfere with the heater hoses. ports not easily accessed. Power to the compressor not attached. The system is not vacum tested nor charged. I have the stuff to do it!!!!

Carl

Old 05-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default LnrB's AC Refrigerant Lines

As promised, Dave, starting with the compressor:

The outboard hose you see there with the cap on, Low pressure I think, runs from the compressor to the firewall.

At the firewall is connection with the evaporator. The other fitting, just Inboard and in shadow here, holds the expansion valve and a much smaller line.

The small line is zip-tied to the Right strut and travels to the drier.

From the drier to the condenser.

Back to the compressor:

The other hose curls around under the compressor to the Left side of the condenser.

I can't say if this is technically correct but I can tell you It Works!
(';')

Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Randy, Darren, Elinor, Carl, thank you so much. From your posts I can see what the routing path is now. I am probably going to have to have more than one hose made, the only thing I got from the donor car was the dual hose manifold leaving the back of the compressor. I have nothing from the Jaguar (except the evaporator, of course). It looks like the only thing I will have to find a home for is the receiver/dryer (accumulator?). Elinor, my compressor is on the right side of the engine and at the very bottom of the heap. That makes it convenient for.........nah, I'm just kidding.

Darren, I am using the Camaro condenser/radiator/electric fans combo also. My plan is to control the A/C with the Jaguar system, just as the original was. I have yet to sort out all I think I know about the safety switch(s), but I'll get there.

Carl, sorry to hear of your experience. Now that I have an idea where the hoses should run to, I can start figuring out a route. With your experience, where would the better route for the hoses be? I have just finished moving the PCM for the 4th time, now that I have the engine in place. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get ahead of yourself.

Again, thank you all.

Dave

Old 05-16-2021, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Dave,

finaly got the pics for ya, placement of the accumulator in mine was determined by the factory hard line that comes off of condenser . As shown in pic, then another section of factory hard line with pressure switch( that doesn’t work like an old fashioned one) comes from other side of accumulator and gets connected to a custom made line to go to evaporator. Factory dual line manifold high side. Still reached condenser with no issues, low side gets end cut off and a gets additional hose to reach the evap

Accumulator placement

Low side From compressor manifold

Factory hard line. With trinary switch
orator

Old 05-16-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

I also. Moved my pcm numerous times, ended up mounting to the firewall by brake booker.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Dave

My '72 XJ with LT1/700R AC routing using the stock radiator, fans and condenser. Be sure to take out the inline (forgot its name) AC filter from the condenser if you are using the stock Jaguar stuff.

40F at left vent

Both hoses

Old 05-16-2021, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot this picture of the hose routing to the condenser

Old 05-16-2021, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Darren and Roger, thanks for your pictures, very helpful. One thing I notice in your pics that I don't see in Elinor's is the nipple w/electrical fitting on the small GM factory hose and the nipple on the large GM factory hose. Would the electrical fitting be the "A/C pressure sensor", I have wires in the Jaguar harness that are identified as such. Roger, in your first pic, you have spliced onto the large hose and there is a port or maybe a schrader valve between. What is the purpose there? I'm not using any part of the Jaguar A/C system except the expansion valve and evaporator, everything else is LT1 or '97 Camaro.

I can see another move in my future, the drier should go where I've put the radiator over-flow tank. No problem.

Thank you both very much.

Dave

Old 05-16-2021, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Dave, those fittings are refigerant fill ports, High pressure side and Low pressure side of the system.
My car has those on the compressor.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (05-16-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Roger,

do you know how much Freon (r134a)you put in? I couldn’t find anything being as system is hybrid from 2 cars, I just used the cans with built in gauges and watched the gauge, stored adding when the gauge was in middle of full range, not an exact science by a long shot, but it got me cooling!

Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Darren

My shop did the evacuating and filling after making the new hoses.. have no idea how much R134 they used.

Dave

It is a "orifice" and was in the line from the condenser - used by GM instead of the Expansion valve... will not work with both of them...

Old 05-17-2021, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Roger, I've run across the terms "accumulator" and "receiver/dryer" in my research. What I came away with is an accumulator is used in a system with "orifice metering" and a receiver/dryer is used in a system with an "expansion valve". Since I have replaced the expansion valve on the fire-wall, that means I will need to use a receiver/dryer?! How did you connect the high pressure switch (on small hose) to the Jaguar wiring?

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-18-2021, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Default All the info I have left on this car.

Dave

I added the '73 Jag electrical so you can see what I was dealing with on this car.

The three relays on the left are for the fan(s) and the other is for the compressor.
Relay wiring:

Wire from Ranco switch to pin 86

Ground to Pin 85

12 Volts to pin 87

Compressor to Pin 30

Other side of compressor to ground

You can reverse the connections to pin 87 and pin 30 if you want. With ignition on, turning up the Ranco for max cooling should pull in the

relay, which should pull in the compressor clutch.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Roger, clearly my project is slightly farther from completion than I thought. I really appreciate this and everything else you've done for me.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-18-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Dave,

digging through my bucket -o-parts and found a high side hard line to go from condenser to drier, Yours if you want it, pm me address!

Quick Reply: A/C hose routing