XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

A call to all lumpers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news lads! The ol' Jag has now come properly unhinged!
I've changed out some more of the dodgy wiring on the computer which only leaves an unidentified add-on module with the old strange stuff. Once I've determined what it is and whether or not I need to keep it, I'll decide how to rewire it.
I also noticed a wiring issue near the distributor and cleaned that up a bit. A harness had been spliced in with spade terminals. For now I just cleaned the corroded spades and left them but they'll be getting pulled, soldered and heat shrunk soon.

What does it all add up to? Well, combined with a proper adjustment of the TV cable on the TH700R4, a 350 that pulls all the way to redline and can bark the tires on the 1-2 shift. It's getting there!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Mr. Mohr.

No reverse lamps as the switch departed with the BW66!! An Xjs tower includes a reverse lamp switch. or, there is a way to glomb on an XJs type reverse lamp switch to an XJ6 shift tower. I have one in my bits boxes somewhere. I grafted in the XJS switch tower and got not only the lamp, but GM detents. double slick.

Carl

Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, all! Just signed up and found this thread. I have a 74 XJ6L (38k miles) with a mid-70s Olds 350 (the engine has an EGR manifold and A.I.R. injection) and TH350 trans. This car has been in and out of my life for over twenty years, and I finally have the title to it

I just replaced the crappy Holley carb with a factory quadrajet, which has made a huge difference in the way it runs. I also got the timing sorted out (it was way retarded). Now I'm trying to sort out some electrical issues and a host of fuel delivery problems.

This car has two fuel pumps and a T in the fuel line, instead of a switch valve and single pump. I've seen no reference to this system, but it looks like it could have been factory. I'm thinking of installing a single pump and a GM style switch valve, if for no other reason than to reduce the clutter back there.

As for the electrical, I'm chasing a central locking system failure. There's a thermo breaker that powers the system, mounted under the dash. If I can't get it sorted, I'm going to update the entire system with a keyless entry and updated lock actuators.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Over the years I've seen a few Olds-powerd Jags and a few Ford-powered ones as well.

Way back, perhaps before a couple outfits (Johns Cars, Suncoast) started marketing Chevy-Jag kits, I *think* there was an outfit in California that did a slew of Olds conversions. Just one of those memory fragments that might not be correct. But all the Olds powered Jags I saw were from my past life in So. California.

Anyhow....

Welcome aboard!

Cheers
DD