XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central locking - must use the key to lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 12:34 AM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Central locking - must use the key to lock?

Hi there, I'm a first-time XJ owner, specifically a Canadian '88 XJ12 in need of some TLC. I will need to at the very least lubricate the passenger door lock mechanism, but I want to make sure I understand how the power lock system is supposed to work before I venture into trying to repair it. I've searched this sub-forum high and low for an answer to this question about the central power locks, and the owner's manual is not clear whatsoever about this.

How do you lock the car when parked?

To you this may be a stupid question, but in every other car I've ever owned the door locks can be manually pushed to the lock position, or the power door locks can be actuated, and I can walk away from the car safe in the knowledge it's locked and carry on with my day. (Or at least as long as the ignition key isn't inserted; my 2010 daily driver will pop the power door locks open if I try to lock it with the key in the ignition.) Not so with the Jaguar, as I found out the first time I parked it at home.

The only instructions in the handbook are that the central locking system uses the paddle on the driver's door to control it. When I am seated inside the car with the doors closed I can push the paddle to lock and unlock the doors (save the front passenger door, which locks only intermittently). When I open the driver's door from the inside all of the doors automatically unlock. However, when I park the car and get out the driver's and front passenger's door paddles cannot be moved into the locked position. They physically will not stay in the locked position. Seemingly the only way to lock these doors when the car is parked is to close the doors and use the key.

Is this how it's supposed to work? Some sort of a measure meant to prevent you from accidentally locking the keys in the car? As I said, the owner's manual is dead silent on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by nostromo7
How do you lock the car when parked?

However, when I park the car and get out the driver's and front passenger's door paddles cannot be moved into the locked position. They physically will not stay in the locked position. Seemingly the only way to lock these doors when the car is parked is to close the doors and use the key.

Is this how it's supposed to work?
Yes.

Er....um....as I recall.

I've always installed keyless entry on my old Jags so it's been ages since I used or tried any other method

Someone with a better memory will come along

Cheers
DD

Old 04-05-2020, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

to lock all 4 doors AND the trunk from outside or inside the car, you do it from the driver's door which is the "master" as you already discovered.

note that the trunk can only be unlocked manually with its own key. It does not unlock from the driver's door, although Doug promised he was going to come up with a modification to make it unlock and lock from the driver's door, we are still waiting and that was over a year ago.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
although Doug promised he was going to come up with a modification to make it unlock and lock from the driver's door, we are still waiting and that was over a year ago.
I think it's 100% covered in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-174395/page4/

The discussion starts at about post 22 and the details finalized in post 63. You were there !

If Nostromo wants to do the trunk lock mod he'll have a much easier time of it since his car has the Kiekert motors rather than Lucas solenoids

Cheers
DD

Old 04-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

I remember the discussion, what I did not remember was that you posted the actual instructions, so I kept waiting thinking you were going to start a thread on the subject.

Anyway this morning the XJ6 would not start. Not enough gas I thought, so I put two gallons in the left tank. No start.
following my own advice, I primed/charged the fuel system about 15 times then it dawned on me that I wasn't hearing the fuel pump whirring.

So i remove all the trunk and spare compartment layers and check all connections, No start..

Then I tapped the body of the fuel pump with a wrench out of frustration and I heard a click.

tried again and it started as normal.

Stuck fuel pump? what could possibly get stuck in there and click when unstuck?

Old 04-05-2020, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Might not be anything stuck in there at all; that is, not a case of dirt or a foreign object getting inside.

It might simply be that the pump motor is wearing out ....armature, brushes,bushings, and so forth. It's like an old starter motor slowly giving up the ghost. Crawl under the car and give it a few whacks with a hammer and it works again. Maybe for just one more start....or maybe for months!

But it couldn't hurt to remove it, give it a few good shakes, and see what/if anything comes out.

Do you have pre-filters?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

there are no pre filters Doug. It is still like it came. Maybe the pump is just going. I have a spare complete with needed wrenches just in case. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 605 Posts

I am a first time Jaguar owner myself and have been rebuilding my 1985 XJ6 for about a year. When I was going through each of the doors, I noticed the same thing you are saying about the inside paddles on the drivers, and I think the passengers, doors not staying in the lock position. As I got to adjusting things, I noticed that if the door handle, inside or outside, was pulled very slightly that the inside paddle would then stay in the lock position. As I tried to understand the mechanics of this, I decided it was designed to prevent locking the drivers/passengers doors by mistake when the driver got out. For instance, if the driver got out of the car at a gas station and through habit, locked his/her door, all of the doors and trunk would lock. If there were other passengers in the car, front or back, they would be locked in until their individual door lock paddle was unlocked. When the doors are locked both outside and inside door handles are disengaged

My mid-2000 cars disengage the inside handle too, but the electric control on both drivers and passengers doors will operate to lock/unlock while that door is open. The Jaguar is the first car I've had that is this way. You'll just have to get used to locking the door(s) with the key or lifting up very slightly on the handle (inside or out) to allow the paddle to be pushed home.

This is just my experience and take-away of this issue, your mileage may differ.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 jaguar:
Doug (04-05-2020), nostromo7 (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LT1 jaguar
You'll just have to get used to locking the door(s) with the key or lifting up very slightly on the handle (inside or out) to allow the paddle to be pushed home.

If I was near my car I would try the same maneuvers and am 99% sure I'd get the same result. I think it represents correct operation of the system.

What Jaguar designers considered to be correct operation of xxx-system is sometimes baffling...but if you ponder long enough it can make sense.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

1990's Ford Minivans are almost the same way. The Driver's door inside lock button locks ALL doors, but the Driver's outside door lock and Key only unlocks the (you guessed it), the Driver's door.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:23 PM

to lock all 4 doors AND the trunk from outside or inside the car, you do it from the driver's door which is the "master" as you already discovered.
Sure, the manual says the driver's door paddle is the master control, but when I park the car here's how I would lock the doors in every other car I have ever encountered:

1. turn off the ignition
2. remove key from ignition switch
3. open the door
4. get out
5. push the power door lock button, or manually push the lock lever/rocker/plunger to the locked position
6. close the door and walk away

My XJ12 absolutely will not let me do step 5 above. Instead I have to close the door and use the key to lock it. I have never, ever owned a car that forced me to lock it using the key. I just want to know whether this is endemic to latter-day Series III XJs and it's how it was always intended to function—which I find somewhat annoying—or if this is a malfunction that I will need to repair.

note that the trunk can only be unlocked manually with its own key.

Or, rather, with the same key that unlocks the doors, glove box, and the fuel filler caps. I figured one of the first things I should do is get the locks sorted out and get at least a couple sets of spare keys made lest I lose the only ones I have, so I searched the forums earlier for info on the keys themselves and found you had posted some info about it in 2017. My owner's handbook reads the same as yours, same graphic except in greyscale instead of green, but my door/trunk/etc key is not the same shape as yours: it's a more rounded head with the 'leaper' on one side. I'm guessing in the "interregnum" between BL and Ford ownership Jaguar changed to this key.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:34 PM

Well it looks like this is by design, my last post being a little redundant now. I guess that's what I get for starting a reply, walking away from my computer, and coming back to it an hour or two later hahaha.

1990's Ford Minivans are almost the same way. The Driver's door inside lock button locks ALL doors, but the Driver's outside door lock and Key only unlocks the (you guessed it), the Driver's door.
My 1990 Dodge was similar: the lock cylinder and key didn't actuate the power locks in any way. Both front doors had lock cylinders, and both had power lock buttons on the inside of the door. To unlock all the doors I had to use the key to unlock one of the front doors and use the button to unlock the rest. However, all I had to do to lock the doors when I'd parked it was to get out, push the lock button down, and close the door. Or manually push the plunger down. I never had to use the key to lock the doors.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nostromo7

My XJ12 absolutely will not let me do step 5 above. Instead I have to close the door and use the key to lock it. I have never, ever owned a car that forced me to lock it using the key.

Old Jags have their quirks.

Happy Jag ownership requires adopting a certain mindset. Most importantly it's essential to remember that there no design faults in a Jaguar. Anything with the appearance of a design fault is, in fact, simply "an interesting engineering feature".

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

note that the trunk can only be unlocked manually with its own key. It does not unlock from the driver's door, although Doug promised he was going to come up with a modification to make it unlock and lock from the driver's door, we are still waiting and that was over a year ago.

Instructions for altering the trunk unit to lock AND unlock are in Jagcare III on p. 24 - it is child's play. If you look at the lock mechanism from the inside of the trunk you can see why it does not unlock automatically and the modification necessary will also be obvious.You simply need to prevent the solenoid connecting rod from moving freely in the unlock motion - moving the solenoid rod manually will make the situation and solution perfectly clear.

That said, I did this years and years ago so I cannot remember exactly what I did. Jagcare III can be accessed at jaguarcarclub.ca webpage. Or just google Jagcare III and several access points will appear.
And to answer the original question, YES, you need to lock the car using the key in the driver's door lock cylinder.

Last edited by sov211; 04-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.