XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Clogging Fuel Filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clogging Fuel Filters

So, based on what I've been reading, these cars are notorious for rusty fuel tanks. Mine allegedly was stored for 16 years of it's life. Shortly after I got it, the fuel filter started clogging so naturally I changed it. Ran great. Less than one full tank of fuel later, it's already clogging again.

Of all the suggestions on here, what is the best way to deal with this problem? I've heard of flushing them but I really want to avoid the headache of removing my tanks. I thought of possibly running some type of high volume pre-filter (perhaps an industrial diesel filter) while it passes the garbage floating around in my tank. A friend suggested I siphon off the fuel and vacuum them out using the sending unit holes for access. Suggestions?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Received 10,594 Likes on 6,996 Posts

On these "Series" cars, the tanks have a drain plug in the bottom.

This is a BIG sucker, with some having a smaller plug in the middle of that hex.

I remove the BIG hex plug. It can be a challenge, and brute force will generally tear it out of the tank. I find a suitable wrench that fits nicely, and tap the thing with a hammer, thus jarring the plug loose. Common sense in paramount here.

I have never had issues getting them out, eventually.

Inside that BIG hex is the suction gauze filter screen, and needs to be cleaned out. Some later cars have a smallish plastic filter pushed over the pick up tube, and it also will need cleaning.

Filters in the suction side hoses is a good idea, BUT, some have reported that they are having issues with "over filtering" of the system??.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Originally Posted by fgkell
So, based on what I've been reading, these cars are notorious for rusty fuel tanks. Mine allegedly was stored for 16 years of it's life. Shortly after I got it, the fuel filter started clogging so naturally I changed it. Ran great. Less than one full tank of fuel later, it's already clogging again.

Car that have been stored seem to suffer the worst.

Of all the suggestions on here, what is the best way to deal with this problem? I've heard of flushing them but I really want to avoid the headache of removing my tanks. I thought of possibly running some type of high volume pre-filter (perhaps an industrial diesel filter) while it passes the garbage floating around in my tank. A friend suggested I siphon off the fuel and vacuum them out using the sending unit holes for access. Suggestions?

IMHO the best way is to remove the tanks for professional cleaning but, yeah, that's a big job.

A pal of mine drained his tanks and used a garden to hose to flush away the gross rust and then used two before-the-pump filters to capture the rest. The first pair of filters clogged in a few days, the second set in a few weeks, the third set in a few months. He spent about $100 or so on filters but avoiding the hassle of tank removal.

That was several years ago and he hasn't had any more problems.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JagLoverT (03-14-2015)
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Having done it, I can confirm it is a tedious job taking the fuel tanks out. There is so much dismantling to do.

As a first step, if your rear 1/4 panels have the access hole on the lower side I suggest taking out the main fuel tank plug (not the small one in its centre), and flushing each tank through with some kerosene or similar stuff. Using petrol is a bit dangerous in my opinion, as the vapour generated while sloshing it around is heavier than air and creeps along the ground and may find a source of ignition. Taking out the big plugs will also allow you to clean the gauze suction filters.

The main plugs are a big hexagon and are made of brass. Some effort is usually needed to get them to turn initially.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was thinking ab out running something like this
Universal Remote Fuel Filter Kit, Single

Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Car that have been stored seem to suffer the worst.

IMHO the best way is to remove the tanks for professional cleaning but, yeah, that's a big job.

A pal of mine drained his tanks and used a garden to hose to flush away the gross rust and then used two before-the-pump filters to capture the rest. The first pair of filters clogged in a few days, the second set in a few weeks, the third set in a few months. He spent about $100 or so on filters but avoiding the hassle of tank removal.

That was several years ago and he hasn't had any more problems.

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug - Based on this feedback I installed pre-pump filters in my 85 XJ6. Finding the right inlet size was a challenge but I found very reasonably priced filters ($9.99 free shipping) at Jegs, the chrome finish is a bonus.

Mr. Gasket 2526, Mr. Gasket Chrome Fuel Filters | Mr. Gasket

Ted

Old 03-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeh.

My car sat a while it recovered from an engine flop. Once ready to fire the replacement, I wanted no goop and old fuel into it's injectors.

I popped out the plastic plugs in the valences behind the wheels. Some say a lot of things about them.

Then, tried to remove the small plug. Alas, sorta, the big one came adrift. My reparations were not adequate to handle the gush of fuel.

Luckily, no calamity. No gunk came out.

I used some in y parts washer alog with the less volatile stuff in it. I gave some to son for use in his durable 318 powered 64 Dodge 3/4 pickup. It devoured t just fine.

My vote is for prepump filters if the tanks are dirty as per Doug's tale.

Decades ago, I did something like that on my 27 T Ford.

Carl

Old 03-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Originally Posted by JagLoverT
Thanks Doug - Based on this feedback I installed pre-pump filters in my 85 XJ6. Finding the right inlet size was a challenge but I found very reasonably priced filters ($9.99 free shipping) at Jegs, the chrome finish is a bonus.

Mr. Gasket 2526, Mr. Gasket Chrome Fuel Filters | Mr. Gasket

Good work

NAPA 3299 or WIX 33299 are alternatives

Cheers
DD

smith356 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,866 Posts

you can use the lugnut removal wrench or "brace" to remove the large 19mm bolt at the bottom of each tank.

I do not know if 1986-87 cars have the same 19mm size bolt but I do know that 1982 through 1985 do.

The brace can also be used for removing the 19mm oil pan drain bolt.

smith356 (03-14-2015)