XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Cold Air Intake, Was it Worth The Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 AM
Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't know the ram air system. But to me it looks like it will cool the cilinderheads, rather than the ingoing air.

your air intake is further back, so I don't see how the ram air will guide the air to the intake. Seems like an option to increase cooling for these aircooled engines. But nothing to do with CAI.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
So those Ram Air Suzuki's I shelled out for in my youth just made me feel good and fed Michio Suzuki's offspring and executives.
I certainly felt like I was getting value for money.

Attachment 119058

Elinor, if it feels better it must be better. When I head to higher colder parts of NSW my car runs and feels so much better.
I always put it down to the altitude and colder air.
I agree. I've put CAI's on at least 3 cars over the years including my previous X300 and "felt" the benefit. The fact that so many have bought and installed them over many years would suggest they can't all be wrong. If it is all psychosomatic, then that's a very powerful effect!

Last edited by jagent; 09-24-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

(Not trying to be offensive, but hey, lighten up guys. Elenor is happy with her car. someone start a new thread to debate this)

The following 3 users liked this post by Richard_gib:
jagent (09-24-2015), LnrB (09-25-2015), o1xjr (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

The guys from Might Car Mods would pee themselves laughing at being cited as a reference on a Jaguar forum. Worth a look if you havent seen them, a pair of young guys making money doing car stuff from trivial to major upgrades and engine swaps. Moog (the bearded one) is a very talented musician/composer and you have probably heard his stuff if you watch modern documentaries.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if the new intake made a noticeable difference over the over agricultural designs on some of these LUMPs (looking at myself there).

Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 AM

I don't see why there can't be a good discussion about somehting people apparently disagree upon.

There is no hate or anger. Just opinions and experiences. It's good these are shared right? That is what a forum is all about.
And I don't need to lighten up, cause I wasn't mad to start with. I really enjoy a good discussion where you can strongly disagree with another, yet still drink a beer together at the end of the day.

Except if it's Donald Trump. I disagree with him and I still don't wanna drink beer with him. :-)

Old 09-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilfred88
I think you are right, and that is exactly the reason why I shared my doubts/concers regarding CAI. To prevent people from buying expensive Open Air filters, Relocating air intakes etc for almost no reason.
I wasn't actually stating my personal belief, but summarizing what the situation would be if CAI skeptics are right. Whether it be mind over matter or not, my own experience has been positive with CAI systems in the past.

Last edited by jagent; 09-24-2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilfred88
I don't know the ram air system. But to me it looks like it will cool the cilinderheads, rather than the ingoing air.

your air intake is further back, so I don't see how the ram air will guide the air to the intake. Seems like an option to increase cooling for these aircooled engines. But nothing to do with CAI.
I know that Wilfred, just thought I would stir the pot a bit with something that didn't actually make any difference to the average user.
I believe CIA does make a difference, or I thought it did on my old Jeep. It was one of the few mods I made that did make an improvement compared to evreything else that was just convenient or cosmetic.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

There's a multibillion dollar aftermarket car doodad industry that depends on the inaccuracy of our collective butt dynos.

This company actually sells them

Butt Dyno - $529.95 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

if a person is not sure their own is working.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've no issue with healthy debate whatsoever...

Old phrase of mine, " pick a topic, take a side, I'll take the other, and let's go".

When I was working and was a Branch Claim Manager, the production manager asked my opinion on a coverage issue. I liked that . I did some reading and composed a "White Paper". It included citations of case law. My VP was upset. 1. It was not only not the company position, but I was wrong. I defended it as only my opinion, but correct. He promised a rebuttal. It never came......

Only Academic, no more.

How can one learn by refusing to consider other opinions and rejecting them outright.

Cold vs hot air and air density still matter. Cars do run better in cool moist air....

Carl

Old 09-24-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Cold vs hot air and air density still matter. Cars do run better in cool moist air....

Carl
I agree. But can this difference be achieved by only relocating the air intake, under the same weather conditions?

I agree there will be a noticable difference when you move a vehicle from a hot and dry place to a cold, moist location.
I only disagree that this effect can be achieved by moving the air intake, as the difference will be too small.

It could even be that the change that NIX has gone through, is achieved by increased FLOW, simply because the intake turned out to be better without knowing this or aiming for this.

some serious tests are required here!!!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Wilfred:

The CIA idea is to source the air before it goes through the radiator. Not too
hard to consider that air as cooler than the air available after it goes through the radiator and has heat transferred to it.

RAM air is a different thing. but, might be related in he design.

Way back when, devices were available to go atop carburators;.
Open, no filter element, cut on a slant. Debate: Open side forward and get a ram effect or reverse and get stable air????

Way out in the open in many cases, so cold vs hot not in issue.

Carl

Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

PS:

Although proper testing would be best, it isn't within most of our resources.
that leaves SOP. Definitely old tech, but works,

Carl

Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Sorta like qualitative vs quanitative analysis??

Carl

Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,232 Likes on 5,397 Posts

I said I wasn't going to use up server space arguing about this but it seems that others simply can't leave it alone but have to prove their point with a cascade of numbers. This alone makes me suspicious.

I do Not have the power to "make someone" do anything with their car and I resent the insinuation that I would mislead anyone. Everyone has the power of free choice to do what they please and spend their money how they want within the bounds of local laws or whatever they can get away with.

I will say I find the term "butt dyno" somewhat derogatory, with the complete disregard of any value of subjective observation. It implies the rest of us are too stupid to know if some modification works or not.

Tony is right; this is probably a controversy that will live on forever with strongly held beliefs on both sides. I'm sorry I started it.

I have to go to work.
(';')

Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Again, there is no mystery or rocket surgery to this. It's a well documented science, some of which is taught in high school.

First off, ram air is pretty much irrelevant in street driven cars. The amount of pressure gain at speeds of less than 100MPH is virtually nil. In most cases the ducting required to get into the unobstructed flow of air will induce more losses than the minuscule amount of 'ram'. Forget any ram effect from behind the grill and under the hood. That's not 'clean air'.

The effects of air temperature are simple to calculate. As noted above, for each 11*F decrease in intake temperature, power will increase by 1%. An engine producing 300HP on an 80*F day will make 313.62 HP on a 30*F day. If anyone has a sensitive enough butt dyno to notice that, congratulations.

Contrary to common thinking, high(er) humidity makes LESS power, not more. but again the effect is minor. It is true that some heat in the intake charge is absorbed through evaporation, but that is more than offset by the fact that the air contains less oxygen for a given volume.

If someone is in the mood, here's a handy calculator

Engine Tuning Calculator - using relative humidity

that shows the effect (or lack thereof) when altering various ambient conditions.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB

I will say I find the term "butt dyno" somewhat derogatory, with the complete disregard of any value of subjective observation. It implies the rest of us are too stupid to know if some modification works or not.
No need to take personal offense. The term has been in common use for decades throughout the car hobby and has even made it's way to urban dictionaries

Urban Dictionary: butt-dyno

The term is no more derogatory in intent than referring to re-engined Jags as LUMPs.

Last edited by Mikey; 09-24-2015 at 12:33 PM.