XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Coolant Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 01:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant Pump Pulley

Good day all!
My 1976 Series II has made the trip from my work hangar to my home garage after considerable work. I am in the middle of a coolant system refresh and am at a point where I may have made a mistake in the planning phase. My coolant pump had no issues, no leaks, etc, but had to come out since everything else at the front of the engine is off, so I might as well replace gaskets. With the pump off, it seems truly foolish to not just flat out replace the unit and rebuild the original to keep on the shelf. What I am running into is probably a simple question, but I don't want to spend $300 to find out I made an error in selection.

Single pulley vs. double pulley: My car has the double, but none are available currently. I'd imagine the shaft diameter between both pumps is the same, but I don't want to assume. If I purchase the single pulley pump, can I just simply remove and replace the double from mine with no issues, or are there differences? Secondly, I have access to a hydraulic press, should the pulley be pressed on with a block of wood to protect or tap down with a hammer and a block of wood? I'd rather not bugger up the internal bearings. I'm a tad lazy to run back and look this question up in the manual

Old 02-21-2022, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 611 Posts

Opinion and advise on your pulley swap. It would be logical for the the shaft of both pumps to be the same, in fact they should be the same pump except for the single/double pulleys. However, I have never had a Jaguar water pump.
Do not hammer the new pulley onto the pump shaft. I am not familiar with a Jaguar water pump, but this would apply to any type of pump. Use your hydraulic press, but you need to support the impeller end of the shaft, other wise you run the risk of moving the shaft in the bearings or impeller and ruining the operation. Many pumps have a plate across the engine side of the pump that can be removed exposing the impeller and end of the shaft. Put a socket or some other metal block between the shaft and the press rails, no clearance.
Some other pumps, etc. have a threaded hole in the pulley end of the shaft that is meant for a puller/pusher when removing or installing the pulley. If yours has the hole, screw the appropriate threaded rod (high strength, grade 8+ is best), put a large flat washer (or two) over the rod, and then a high strength nut. Screw the nut down and press the pulley on the shaft.

Dave