XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Cooling issue/ question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,085 Likes on 460 Posts
Default Cooling issue/ question

Not xk engine related, but want to check my logic with you guys, as you know it’s an lt1 in the jag, lt1 everything even radiator, issue I have, ran way warm other night got to 120 on gauge, checked with ir gun and was correct, I thought I had lost coolant or maybe stuck tstat, but everything seemed ok, next day I went to troubleshoot more, plenty of coolant, etc, started car and let it run, cam up to temp normally and no signs of overheating, first one fan came on, then the other ( unusual for sitting in driveway, and they just ran and ran, no signs of shutting off, temp never went above 90 in driveway,
thought for a second maybe I have one or maybe both fans wired backwards and it’s pushing instead of pulling, this is where I noticed an issue, fans are pulling as they are supposed to, however....... air from outside edges of fans is hot, but in center of radiator air was still cold, not just cooler than edges, but noticeably cold, as it was 55 here when I was testing!
other than a blockage inside radiator what else would cause this?
Is my logic sound????

Last edited by Darrenmb; 02-04-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Typed all that on phone, so forgive lack of punctuation etc

Old 02-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,848 Posts

fans not coming on when they should and temp went haywire.
Fans controller bad or Fans thermostat bad, (not engine thermostat).

Old 02-04-2021, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Fans controlled by pcm, all working fine, I can test via laptop, also wouldn’t explain why radiator cold in center

Old 02-04-2021, 05:28 PM
Received 186 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi, do the fans have shrouds ? Might be like a helicopter when it gets "ring vortex", air on the outside edge circling right back around the fan tips so outside getting hotter ( same air circling ). If this is a sudden change from correct operation, maybe something blocking radiator or flaky thermostat ? No LT experience so just some WAG's !

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02-04-2021, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 609 Posts

Hi Darren, 120c is pretty warm. I don't have an answer for you, but might be able to help if you could clarify a few things.

What were you doing the other night (only related to your car issue, anything else is not my business) when the engine got warm? For example, cruising on the freeway, idling through town, half a car ahead of the other guy, etc. Was this the first time the engine had gotten this hot? Did the temp come up fast (within 3-5min) or slowly over a half hour or more? When you started the car the next day and the fan(s) came on and stayed on, had that ever happened before?

I know you are well aware of this, but the stock PCM settings for the cooling fans are "very hot-first fan" and "too hot-second fan". I think they were something like 215*/227* respectively. I'm sure you lowered those numbers and probably went to a 180* thermostat. The common question I would have is, has this ever happened before, and if not, then what changed. In my mind, if the PCM seemed to turn the fan(s) on, but not turn them off, it was still "seeing" it's target temps for each fan. If the engine wasn't actually at those temperatures then there could be an issue with the PCM water temp sender in the water pump or maybe a pinched/open wire. You said you could test via your laptop, could you actually get the fans to stop or just start up? This is why I chose to eliminate the PCM from controlling anything except the pure engine/trans functions.

The hot air on the sides and cold air in the center of the radiator is a slight puzzle. I'm attaching a picture of my setup so that I can understand what you're saying. Hot air at the sides, meaning the air that is being pulled through the radiator with the outer radius of each fan blade?. Out near the end-tanks. Cold in the middle means the air being pulled through the radiator with the inner radius of each fan blade? In the area where my fan wires are running. I would think the temp of the radiator (and air) would gradually become cooler between upper left and lower right, but still very hot to the touch. I don't have a clue why that normal flow would turn cold and then hot again as it reached the "cool" side. Brain fart! The trans cooler is in the right end-cap, could your transmission have

developed a terrible heat-stroke and raised the temp of the out-going cool water? Doesn't seem possible.

Have you taken it back out on the road, normal driving conditions, to see if it happens again? If it does, it should be much easier to trouble-shoot, if it doesn't, I see sleepless nights in you future.

I'm not really much help I'm afraid. Let us know what happens.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
rm1111 (07-01-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:27 PM
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,864 Posts

Hi Darren, whilst I’m not sure of your plumbing my 2001 Range Rover had cold spots around the radiator and it was trash.
New radiator solved my heating problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daf11e:
Grant Francis (02-05-2021), Greg in France (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Haven’t driven it again, been running it in driveway trying to troubleshoot, T stat is a 165, fans programmed to come on early, I am manually cycle fans via the laptop and they do turn on and off, watching the data stream I see them commanded on, but not off, Temps never drop low enough for that
I was sitting at an extended red light when this happened, nothing in front of me as I was first car at light.
yesterday I played some more after work, and could not duplicate the issue, however I noticed the lower rad hose never got hot, however water in rad was hot but probably due to steam pipe dumping in right by neck. Tonight I will be checking the thermostat!
Dave, I don’t have the factory trans cooler hooked up, running after market one in front of radiator on drivers side.
will update this weekend after checking tstat and driving

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (02-05-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing to update, a burst pipe has brought about an impromptu bathroom remodel!! Good thing I work in construction and jag isn’t a daily driver! Lol have to look on the bright side!!!!

Old 02-07-2021, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Sometimes our professions also come in handy around the house too, I'm glad I don't have the issue you're dealing with this morning. It's 10* below zero here.

Dave

Old 02-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Daren:

You mentioned the fans as pushing ! Mispeak or true? Behind the radiator they should be pullers.

My car is somewhat similar to yours. Two fans controlled by the PCM. My car uses the standard 190 T'stat. In my view, the reverse coolant flow of the LT1 is consistent with that.

My transmission uses the cooler in the left tank of the radiator. The Jaguar condensor is in place in front of the radiator.

The Jaguar oil cooler is gone.

So, where am I going?

Radiator and shroud. Inadequate or plugged. Shroud is not allowing the fans to seep all of the core. The after market trans cooler is occluding radiator finned space.

Off for some out side fresh air and sunshi, then hibernate for the super bowl.. over in your part of the world!!!

Carl
My fans will come on and off while the car idles in my drive. On the road, they rarely come on. Only in some instances, in slow traffic.

What radiator is in your car? Mine has a big old tech four row core brass unit.
The part that is not swept by the fans is shrouded. It functions just right

Old 02-08-2021, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Carl, fans are pulling as they should, I have same set up as Dave’s picture above, ( well it looks like it anyways) I am running the radiator and shroud/fan setup straight out of the firebird! I did have some time to peruse my tune, and fans are set to come on at 175 and 185, I dot see anywhere that tells me the off temps though! But to be honest it was only a half hearted look, too much chaos going on, down to mine bathroom and 3 people! Plus I had water shut off for beat part of Saturday , but progress is being made, hopefully I can get back to car soon!!!!

Old 02-08-2021, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Default A few pics of my household disaster.....

There had obviously been a slow leak for Some time behind shower wall
Previous homeowners ( much like previous car windows some really questionable stuff, they had installed a vinyl shower liner thing, to hide all the ugly! Half the tile was missing behind it, spray foam
filling gaps, a piece of mdf on top of the tile shower floor for the vinyl to stick to!! Needless to say it was a train wreck!

Old 02-08-2021, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Had to totally gut it and start over

New tiles going in, then wife decides may as well do the rest of the bathroom while it’s down!

Old 02-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to add the picture of the hideous wallpaper I found behind the mirror!!!
Will post a couple more
pics as I get more done

Old 02-08-2021, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wowee!!!

In my former profession, I did a lot of water intrusion cases. A lot of showers involved. None that I recall as badly 'butchered" as yours!!! Kindly forgetfulnmess???

I did our shower three times. Finaly got it right, i hope. it is a tub shower combo.
the original had thin plastic fake ceramic tile partly up the walls.Ugly and kept falling off in spots!!

Next. Stripped em all off and made a huge mess removing the plaster and boards. Installed a water barrier and then a "shower surround. Plastic. looked much better. But, not right .

off with it.

Ceramic tile an three walls up to the ceilig. Now it is right. I hope!!!!

I think I got my Celcious and Fahreheit valuses mixed uo. T'stat at 190 F!!! Guage runs at 90 to 100 C. Works just fine...

Did you "inherit" a dirty radiator??? Kinda sounds that way... Cold spots!!!

e

Old 02-09-2021, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Put foam around the radiator and covers on the sides

When I had my LT1 I put AC foam around the top and sides of the radiator to seal it properly. Plus, I made metal covers for the sides.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is pushed To one side more than the other so that the air filter gets somewhat cooler air( although still in engine bay )l, would love to have air intake setup as you, but Info on it is hard to find, filter size etc, also where to get the ducting, seems It would be a bit of a tight fit as i have the maf and not running speed density.
It’s on my wish list for sure, but wanna sort out the cooling issue first

Old 02-11-2021, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

No updates on car, but bathroom almost done, awaiting granite templating..

Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Darren, here's the K&N part numbers for my air intake. See my thread/post #100. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-211881/page6/
- K&N RF-1050 - K&N Universal Performance Air Filter
-
K&N REP. HOSE 08746 (transition intake hose)?

The MAF will plug into the end of the transition hose and then you will have to source the hose from MAF to throttle body. I am going to try this outfit.
Intercooler Pipe Fabrication

Dave

Quick Reply: Cooling issue/ question