XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Cooling System Troubleshooting (V12 VDP leaking from different spots)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024 | 08:56 AM
|
Default Cooling System Troubleshooting (V12 VDP leaking from different spots)

Back again so last time I was messing around with this coolant crossover pipe it wasn't seated nicely so when I filled it up. It would right out of the bottom where it connects to the water pump. So I took it apart and did it again. Now it holds its water when I fill it up but it is still leaking from different spots. I took screenshots of a video I made of leaking areas for your advice. Excuse me pointing at the areas with my gloved hand.

Any advice given is appreciated. One spot is the lower radiator hose (I think) as it is obviously leaking from the hose at the bottom. The other two are leaking from around metal so the leaking pressure is coming from somewhere that I can't track. This car is testing my patience haha.

Old 04-07-2024 | 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

You are pointing in the last two pics to oil cooler pipes. Coolant must be dropping down onto them from above. I cannot make out the first pic.
Did you use new hoses and new clips? Also for the water pump to cross pipe large diameter hose, and for the entrace to the water pump from the radiator, it is best to use T bar clips, and to retighten every clip up after the first run, and check them regularly. This means when you put them on you place the tightening screw very carefully so you can get to it when eevrything is together.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024 | 09:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by Greg in France
You are pointing in the last two pics to oil cooler pipes. Coolant must be dropping down onto them from above. I cannot make out the first pic.
Did you use new hoses and new clips? Also for the water pump to cross pipe large diameter hose, and for the entrace to the water pump from the radiator, it is best to use T bar clips, and to retighten every clip up after the first run, and check them regularly. This means when you put them on you place the tightening screw very carefully so you can get to it when eevrything is together.
The first picture is me pointing at what I think is the lower radiator hose. It goes from the radiator to the bottom of the water pump.

I have not put on any new hoses so far. The only hoses I have removed are what's related to the cross pipe and the upper radiator pipe just for clearance purposes. I inspected the hoses and they appear undamaged and they don't leak so far. With that said it could be a different story once I actually start the car and pressurize it.

So same hoses and same hose clamps so far. I'll look into those T-clamps if you think that is advisable.

It leaks just when I'm filling it up with distilled water while the car is off. I haven't started it in like a week since I learned I incorrectly installed the cross pipe the first time. As soon as I start pouring it starts pissing it right out.

You are probably right that it is probably leaking from above the oil cooler line and I just can't see it at this time. I took another screenshot of the first picture and circled the leak I was trying to point out.

Last edited by outsidecenter; 04-07-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2024 | 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Sometimes just tightening clamps will do the trick.
Sometimes rust between a hose and nipple can prevent a good seal.
Sometimes the hose itself is leaking.

This is messy work. Not pleasant. There's a strong argument for the "do it all, do it once, do it right" approach. Replace all the hoses, use new clamps. Then you can forget about hoses for the next few years.

Better yet, if circumstances permit, just turn the project into a full cooling system overhaul. Fan clutch, thermostats, remove radiator for professional cleaning. Clean all the steam relief pipes, etc.

Cooling system repair by picking away alá carte just prolongs the misery.

Cheers
DD

The following 5 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (04-08-2024), Greg in France (04-08-2024), Ken Cantor (04-07-2024), sov211 (04-07-2024), XJJK (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:17 AM
|

Originally Posted by Doug
Sometimes just tightening clamps will do the trick.
Sometimes rust between a hose and nipple can prevent a good seal.
Sometimes the hose itself is leaking.

This is messy work. Not pleasant. There's a strong argument for the "do it all, do it once, do it right" approach. Replace all the hoses, use new clamps. Then you can forget about hoses for the next few years.

Better yet, if circumstances permit, just turn the project into a full cooling system overhaul. Fan clutch, thermostats, remove radiator for professional cleaning. Clean all the steam relief pipes, etc.

Cooling system repair by picking away alá carte just prolongs the misery.

Cheers
DD
Understood I ordered a water pump and radiator and Ill get stuck in when they arrive. Hose kits are hard to come by. Any suggestions?

Also the radiator panel cover that sits on top of the radiator with the holes throughout. Is it the same as an XJS V12? Or the same as a US XJ6? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2024 | 02:42 AM

Hose kits are out there, SNG Barratt, etc.

Stay AWAY from Euro Brand hoses, unless you want do it all again in 12 months, just my experience with that stuff.

That top panel will be the same in its end to end fitment, but thats about it. The V12 has more holes, and thats memory only, and the studs for the fan shrouds etc. NOT impossible to adapt, depends on your imagination and sense of humour.

I dont mess with a newbie in the fleet, ALL hoses, water, oil, fuel, brake, get replaced day 1. Follwed by ALL fluids not drained for that little task.

Takes me about a week, well did, now I would not even be able to do it,
Last one was the X Type (Pretend Jag) in 2018. Just paid, oh boy, a trusted person to do a Brake fluid flush on it, Grants not happy in old age.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Daf11e (04-09-2024), Doug (04-08-2024)