Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack on a head in my 1986 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack on a head in my 1986 XJ6

Hello there.

My newly owned XJ6 has been having trouble starting. The man I bought it from told me it was typical of a Jag to start slow, but not that it would take two or three tries to get it started.

Anyways. I have no idea what the normal running temperature of this car is, and my temperature gauge is in Celsius. I think the car is running a little hot but again I don't really know how to tell.

There is a crack in one of the heads at the front of the car right near the fan. I have a Haynes repair manual, but it's old and hard for me to understand.

Included is a picture of the cracked head with the fan in the background as well as two pictures of a wire I'm worried might either already be corroding or be in danger of corroding.

So I was wondering if I could get some help on this forum as to what might be going on with my car and how to diagnose it. The car sat for a year in the person's yard who I bought it from.

Feedback and help is appreciated. I want this car to be in better condition than it currently is, run forever, and be something I can show off to everyone.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirno
Hello there.

My newly owned XJ6 has been having trouble starting. The man I bought it from told me it was typical of a Jag to start slow, but not that it would take two or three tries to get it started.

Slow starting like a weak battery? Or slow starting like a fuel or ignition problem? Either way....Not typical to be slow starting.

Anyways. I have no idea what the normal running temperature of this car is, and my temperature gauge is in Celsius. I think the car is running a little hot but again I don't really know how to tell.

Normal is 88ºC to 90ºC

There is a crack in one of the heads at the front of the car right near the fan. I have a Haynes repair manual, but it's old and hard for me to understand.

I see a cap is the rubber cap for the crankcase breather. is taht what you are talking about?

Included is a picture of the cracked head with the fan in the background as well as two pictures of a wire I'm worried might either already be corroding or be in danger of corroding.

Typical to have to repair some of those wires

So I was wondering if I could get some help on this forum as to what might be going on with my car and how to diagnose it. The car sat for a year in the person's yard who I bought it from.

Please describe the starting problem in greater detail. Does it happen all the time? Only when hot? Only when cold? Have you checked the spark plugs and other routine items? Once started how does it run?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The cracked object is made of rubber and the breather exit from the engine; the pipe runs to the inlet manifold. Very easy to replace with a new one, assuming you can get one.

The wire looks to be connected to the temperature gauge transmitter on the water rail, and is easy to repair. The transmitter has a Lucas spade connector on it and the wire should have the female connector plus a cover on i. It is easily damaged in my experience. Yours looks as if somebody has done a temporary fix. Best thing with the engine wiring loom if you can afford it is to replace it, the wires get very brittle with the heat.