XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Do dayton wire wheels fit to XJ6 Series 3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015 | 01:16 PM
|
Default Do dayton wire wheels fit to XJ6 Series 3?

Hi,

I want to change my car wheels and i have found dayton wire wheels but i am not sure they do fit without any bolt.

My wheels are CAC5667 i have searched on the internet but i haven't figure this out

Old 05-19-2015 | 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Personally I'd stick with those nice 'Pepperpots".

When the first XJ saloons came out in the late 60s, owners soon wanted to fit wire wheels, (this was before alloy wheels became widely available). Jaguar actually issued a Service Bulletin advising against their fitment due to the much greater cornering forces generated by the car. However, things move on, and I think if reputable bolt-on wire wheels, (like Dayton), are fitted there is no longer a problem. Wire wheels are not cheap !!

Old 05-19-2015 | 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

yes, Daytons will fit, the 5-lugnut Jaguar pattern is the same as GM cars. make sure you get them with the Jaguar emblem.

be aware that they are a pita to clean and shine and you might need tubes.

Attached Thumbnails Do dayton wire wheels fit to XJ6 Series 3?-jaguar-dayton.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 05-19-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2015 | 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
yes, Daytons will fit, the 5-lugnut Jaguar pattern is the same as GM cars. make sure you get them with the Jaguar emblem.

be aware that they are a pita to clean and shine and you might need tubes.
I have 60 spoke Daytons on my SIII.

And Jose is spot on
Took me about 2 hrs. to polish each one.

I had to put a tire on one of the wheels and found out that the tube was popped. I got the tire to bead up but it looses about 8 psi a day so you might need the tubes.

Old 05-20-2015 | 05:27 AM
Veteran Member

DC73: the original wire wheels in all Jaguars were made by Dunlop. They were known as "curly hub wires". Yes, they are a pita to clean, ask me how I know. Fortunately, the ones in my S type are the stainless steel version, they clean a little easier than chrome.

Attached Thumbnails Do dayton wire wheels fit to XJ6 Series 3?-side-view-65-jaguar-s-type.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015 | 02:10 PM

D-Type wheels are available.
They're not cheap and you will need to convert to spline drive center lock hubs.
But nothing compares to the way they look and ease of removing....

Name:  image.jpg1.jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  142.9 KB
Name:  image.jpg2.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  131.6 KB
Name:  image.jpg3.jpg
Views: 2893
Size:  131.5 KB

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (07-24-2024)
Old 08-14-2018 | 03:16 AM
Default Series III pepperpot wheels

Good Day!

I recently purchased the exact same rims that you have attached in the post (I am assuming they are Series III pepperpot wheels) with markings 6JK×15×33 CAC5667 OJ all 5 rims. Would it fit my 1987 XJ6. It has a 3.6L engine base model.

The other thing I noticed there were some other markings (in the same place where it says J 84 on yours) on the rims like B 86, M 86, B 84....which was different on all the wheels. Does anyone know what it means?

Appreciate your time.

cheers.

Originally Posted by brkcskn
Hi,

I want to change my car wheels and i have found dayton wire wheels but i am not sure they do fit without any bolt.

My wheels are CAC5667 i have searched on the internet but i haven't figure this out

Old 08-14-2018 | 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

the Pepperpot and Teardrop alloy wheels came with the XJ40. They fit the XJ6 series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 except you will need spacers for the two FRONT wheels.

Dayton wire wheels fit all the Series XJ too.

Old 08-14-2018 | 08:52 AM

Having owned several English sports cars over the years, many with wire wheels,.. I do not recommend them, especially the 60 spoke ones. They are simply too weak, even the 72 spoke ones are too weak. These are not Borrani - made for heavier cars. The Dunlops are designed for lighter weight cars,.. MGs, Triumphs Austin Healys etc Then you must have tubes or the air will escape through the holes in the hub / rim where the spokes are attached. Impossible to keep clean, And you should know how to check the tension on each spoke. Tapping each spoke (wheel off of car) with a wrench and listening to the tone will tell you if any are more loose than the rest. Then you have to keep them tight to prevent any play between the splined hub and the splines on the wheel. These splines on the hub should have a sharp profile - perfect peaks on crown of spline. Then finding a tire shop that will work with (have the proper equipment to mount and balance the wheels .. (another nightmare)
I would not put them on my Jaguar Xj6 , lots of great looking alloy wheels available now for little money.

Last edited by alynmurray; 08-14-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2018 | 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

I guess I should to weigh in here, given the misconceptions people seem to have about these wheels.

1.Modern daytons that use a 5 bolt pattern, that are not made for splined hubs with a single knock-off, are modern wheels with a bead made for tube-less tires. Any of the ones you see on XJS or XJ6 do not use tubes. Again THESE DO NOT NEED TUBES. These are not old wheels with a band around the splines and no bead to lock the tire. These are made for modern wheels and there is a huge pool of silicone running all around the splines to seal them off. If you own these and they are leaking, it means they need to be repaired, not that you should fit tubes.

2. They are hard to initially clean but not at all hard to keep clean as long as you maintain them. Spend the time to clean them once by hand, and then when you wash your car try out Meguiar's hot wheels spray (chrome obviously). This stuff gets into all the splines and foams up wonderfully. By the time you have sprayed the last wheel down, it is time to rinse the first one thoroughly. Just be careful not to get any on your spinner emblems. If you do this you won't have to lay a finger on your wire wheels to keep them looking fantastic.

3. They are not a nightmare to balance and don't require regular maintenance by ye olde shoppe that can tune wire wheels. I've been driving daily on mine for 8 years and have been through two sets of tires with no problem plus all the mileage the PO put on the car. I'd guess it couldn't hurt to get them tuned every 100-150k miles but big whoop.

4. You may want to modify how the spinners/fake knock-offs fit. It is kind of a lousy idea and I've lost two of them because of it. I've had better luck adding threadlocker, a nylon washer, and an extra nut, to keep the bolt in the spinner but allow it to free spin easily (you have to rotate the spinner when loosening or tightening the lug nuts).

Last edited by sidescrollin; 08-14-2018 at 12:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Jahmiata (08-14-2018), XJDanny (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018 | 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

my 1965 S type has the factory wire wheels and I have had no problems. Nothing like wire wheels in a Jaguar!

The XJ-6 is another story, it is a very heavy car. I have no experience with Daytons but have not heard of any catastrophic incidents with Daytons either.

Funny that nobody considers the Kelsey Hayes wheels still made today, which look like wire wheels but are not. They would suit an XJ-6 beautifully. They are very expensive though.

Old 08-14-2018 | 03:13 PM

The Dayton bolt-on wires have exactly the same offset as factory XJ wheels. They are 7 inch, with the additional width evenly split inside and outside. No fitment problems. The original wheels were 60 spoke, and worked OK on S1 cars. When the later and heavier S2 and S3 cars came out, they were deemed inadequate. Out of liability and safety concerns, Dayton initiated a low-cost voluntary replacement program, substituting later 70 spoke wheels to owners of 60 spoke wheels.. These seem to be relatively reliable.

Note that Daytons are heavy, particularly the 70 spoke. Originally, wire wheels were considered to be relatively lightweight, until Mg alloys replaced them (first in the US, then famously by Enzo on all of his cars after he visited the US). This was the end of being able to claim that wires were functionally useful. But on lighter cars (E's for example) there isn't a huge weight penalty. Not true for XJs--to get enough strength they are substantially heavier than steel or alloy wheels. You pay a significant penalty for the look.

The following 4 users liked this post by Robert Wilkinson:
Andy Paine (10-28-2018), Coventrywood (08-20-2018), Jahmiata (08-14-2018), sidescrollin (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018 | 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
the Pepperpot and Teardrop alloy wheels came with the XJ40. They fit the XJ6 series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 except you will need spacers for the two FRONT wheels.

Dayton wire wheels fit all the Series XJ too.

Pepperpot (Ogle) wheels were fitted to Series III Jaguar Sovereigns (both 6 and V12 versions) and as a no-cost option, to Daimlers and to the Jaguar V12 Vanden Plas for Canada. They were never fitted from the factory on the XJ40.
The pepperpot wheel is interchangeable with the Kent wheel in every application without the use of spacers.

Old 08-14-2018 | 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson
The Dayton bolt-on wires have exactly the same offset as factory XJ wheels. They are 7 inch, with the additional width evenly split inside and outside. No fitment problems. The original wheels were 60 spoke, and worked OK on S1 cars. When the later and heavier S2 and S3 cars came out, they were deemed inadequate. Out of liability and safety concerns, Dayton initiated a low-cost voluntary replacement program, substituting later 70 spoke wheels to owners of 60 spoke wheels.. These seem to be relatively reliable.

Note that Daytons are heavy, particularly the 70 spoke. Originally, wire wheels were considered to be relatively lightweight, until Mg alloys replaced them (first in the US, then famously by Enzo on all of his cars after he visited the US). This was the end of being able to claim that wires were functionally useful. But on lighter cars (E's for example) there isn't a huge weight penalty. Not true for XJs--to get enough strength they are substantially heavier than steel or alloy wheels. You pay a significant penalty for the look.
Yeah on a car that can get smoked by a prius... If you are into an XJ6 for performance, you are in the wrong car. Anyways, an XJS with wires will still do 150+ mph, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 08-14-2018 | 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pforpapa
Good Day!

I recently purchased the exact same rims that you have attached in the post (I am assuming they are Series III pepperpot wheels) with markings 6JK×15×33 CAC5667 OJ all 5 rims. Would it fit my 1987 XJ6. It has a 3.6L engine base model.

The CAC5667 Ogle Perforated wheel ("Pepperpot") was used on the XJS and Series III cars.

Since you mention "3.6L engine base model" I assume you have the "XJ40" type Jaguar.....as the 3.6L engine was not used in the Series I-II-III cars. As Gregory mentioned the CAC5667 Pepperpot wheel was not used on the XJ40 cars

I'm not sure if CAC5667 will work on the XJ40 hubs. The bolt will be the same but he center holes for the later hubs might be a problem. I'm not sure.

The other thing I noticed there were some other markings (in the same place where it says J 84 on yours) on the rims like B 86, M 86, B 84....which was different on all the wheels. Does anyone know what it means?
Date-of-manufacture codes?

Cheers
DD

Old 08-14-2018 | 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Yeah on a car that can get smoked by a prius... If you are into an XJ6 for performance, you are in the wrong car. Anyways, an XJS with wires will still do 150+ mph, so I don't see what the big deal is.

It's only a big deal if they fail

However, Dayton wire wheel retro-fits have been very common over the decades and if there's a history of failures, I've surely missed it. Personally I think they look all wrong on modern Jaguars....that is, anything later than 1960s vintage.....but that just comes down to individual tastes

Cheers
DD

Old 08-15-2018 | 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

I have Dayton wire wheels on my car. The left, front wheel had a clicking sound when I made a right turn. I called Dayton and spoke to a man named, Gary. He was very friendly. I asked him if he could recommend a place in the Seattle area that serviced their wheels. He said he didn’t know anyone and said I could send him the wheel and they would service it for a fee. I told him about the sound and he suggested spraying each spoke with WD40. I did and the sound is gone! I think I’ll spray the other wheels too. I love the look of these wheels.

Old 08-15-2018 | 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
It's only a big deal if they fail

However, Dayton wire wheel retro-fits have been very common over the decades and if there's a history of failures, I've surely missed it. Personally I think they look all wrong on modern Jaguars....that is, anything later than 1960s vintage.....but that just comes down to individual tastes

Cheers
DD

If one spoke comes loose, its just loose, so there is less tension there. That is one of 72 spokes. So the most likely failure mode results in...an air leak. I can't image a cartoon scenario where all the wires come flying off at the same time and the wheel disintegrates. They stopped using them in racing because they became heavy by comparison, not because they were unreliable.