Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver door stuck closed

Hi all,

This is my first post here, hoping to find some sage advice. I have just purchased a 1983 XJ6, the driver's door will not open and I can't seem to get the door panel off. I've tried unscrewing the little plate on the door pillar from the back seat, that only gave me access to the back of the striker plate and no way to free the door.

Can someone please give me some help here?

Thanks!

Perry

Old 12-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum Perry, I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you with your issue.

In the meantime drop by the new member area and post an intro thread for a warm welcome.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 12-21-2015, 07:14 PM

Forgot to mention that both the inside and outside handles sound like they're moving the lock mechanisim, but nothing happens.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

Perry, I'm wondering if the door has sagged on its hinges, and so is resting on the sill and striker, and the weight of the door won't allow it to open without heroic effort.

You might try having a buddy work the inside while you work the outside, and then lift and pull at the same time, while your friend pushes, maybe quite hard.

It might not work but can't hurt to try.
(';')

Old 12-22-2015, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

The door panel is removable with the door closed. Awkward, but doable. I've done it, with some of the work being done from the outside, reaching in, with the window down. Some of it down from inside

Assuming the standard XJ6 door panel and not the fancier "VDP" style......

Remove the electric mirror controls.

Remove the handle/armrest by wriggling and sliding the chrome escutcheon downwards to reveal the big hold-down screw, remove screw. There might be one additional small screw on the lower/underneath side of the handle. The handle/armrest can now be removed by giving it a big thump upwards and a slight push forward (or maybe its a thump forward and slight push upward? I'm still on my first cuppa coffee)

Now get your fingers underneath what outside edges you can to pull the panel off. There are 6-8 plastic pegs holding it to the door.

With the panel off you can reach into the door and try manipulating the various linkages hopefully the door will unlatch.

You can also try spraying the latch assembly with your favorite aerosol solvent (WD40 is Ok here) to free-off whatever is stuck. That latch has some delicate workings that can get gummed up.

But....what may have happened ...I've seen a couple....is a little spring inside the latch is broken, preventing widget-A from disengaging widget-B and thus leaving the latch in 'locked' mode.

Look closely and you'll see a little peg protruding from a slot in the body of the latch. The peg can be moved 3/8" of an inch or so, sort of in small arc. If it is at the top of the slot, push it downward, and vice-versa. That should unlock the latch and allow the door to open.

It's been years so the details are a little foggy but hopefully this is enough to help

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (12-26-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:39 AM

LNRB and Doug,

Thank you for your advice, I'll give both a try today. First I need to go buy a new battery so I can get the window down. The poor car's been sitting for many years...

Thanks again!

P

LnrB (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

One more idea that just might work.

The spring in the seat belt retractor isn't retracting the belt.
the slack gets across the latch and binds it. LnrB's ideas should free it.

Been there, it was in the market park lot. I thought I was going to have to go to some possibly impossible contortions to get in the driver seat and go home to mess with it there.

With window up, can you reach the paddle up forward to unlatch it???

Carl

Old 12-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Hi Carl,

I'll give that a try as well. Right now the car has no electrical power, but will try anything at this point.

Worst case I was going to pull the front seat out and then try to get the door panel off, hopefully without hosing it up. The panels are absolutely perfect and I don't relish the idea of messing one up.

Thanks again!

P

Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Hi, can you get inside the car at all? If yes, try sitting in the front passenger seat sideways and gently kicking the door as someone else keeps the handle pulled as if to open it. Make sure it is unlocked, the mechanism unlocks towards the rear of the car. Best to kick without shoes on to avoid damaging the upholstery.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Jose,

Yes, I can get in from the passenger side and crawl across, which I sure looks hilarious... Actually, I think your suggestion is a really good idea. Kinda scary but a good idea. And thanks for mentioning that the unlocked position is towards the rear, I was pushing it forwards.

The outside handle is really stiff and tough to move up. I think I'll get the window down and have my mate use the interior handle which definitely seems to work better while I'm trying your suggestion.

Thanks!

P

Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 AM

I doubt this has any bearing on my door, since the car has no power but I can't get the trunk open either...

We'll see what happens after I buy a new battery later today. It's cold an rainy today so not moving quickly...

Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

It should open by kicking it from inside, assuming it is unlocked and a second person is keeping the handle pulled to open. I had that happen with the sliding door of my minivan and got it open kicking it at the point where the catch-latch is located. In the XJ the latch is located about 4 inches down from the outside key lock, just above the armrest inside, so that is where you want to kick. Leave the trunk alone until you resolve the door issue.

Last edited by Jose; 12-22-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry Fisch
Jose,

Yes, I can get in from the passenger side and crawl across, which I sure looks hilarious... Actually, I think your suggestion is a really good idea. Kinda scary but a good idea. And thanks for mentioning that the unlocked position is towards the rear, I was pushing it forwards.

The outside handle is really stiff and tough to move up. I think I'll get the window down and have my mate use the interior handle which definitely seems to work better while I'm trying your suggestion.

Thanks!

P
Jose is not talking about the paddle position, hes talking about the mechanism, you have the paddle in the correcr place, forward away from the handle. Or maybe im.reading wrong, regardless paddle for locking goes away from handle to unlock

Old 12-22-2015, 04:18 PM

Darren, thank you!

Well I got my Christmas miracle, last night I applied copious amounts of WD-40 to anything even close to the lock/striker mechanism. This afternoon I put in a new battery, put the window down (kind of a slow process, guess it needs some lube) and started fiddling with the interior handle while I was standing outside as well as moving the locking level back and forth. It worked, the door opened without a problem. I'm assuming the internal locking levers need some love as well.

Thank you to all who helped me!

Best regards and Merry Christmas to all!

Perry

LnrB (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent! The trunk is a different story, start by removing all the license plate screws and the license plate.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 PM

Thanks Jose, I'll try that in the morning.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

you welcome Perry, once you get the license plate off, there are 4 oblong holes, you can see the rod-linkage through the bottom right hole, using needlenose pliers, try to grab the rod and pull it up to open the trunk.

Last edited by Jose; 12-23-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:59 PM

Hi Jose thanks! You made that waaay too easy. Lower right oval hole behind the license plate. The lever was to the left in that hole. I used a small screw driver, inserted it under the level and pop she went.

Thank you again!!!

Perry

Old 12-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

you bet Perry! yes you got the correct hole. Feliz Navidad to you!! Looks like your car only needs exercising and lube.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

My windows roll down pretty slow too, but only when the engine is off.

Quick Reply: Driver door stuck closed