XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Extra wires after the engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 605 Posts

I'm coming back to the well to ask for a little more help. Can anyone tell me what the heavy blue wire with the single male bayonet terminal goes to? There was nothing in the engine bay when I got the car and I don't believe I've ever seen one like this. It looks like it is part of a weather resistant connection that carries a good amount of current. It's in a special fiber sheath for most of its length. The other pic's show what the wad of wires that were in the engine compartment look like now that they are inside the passenger compartment. The wire in question was in the engine compartment. Thanks for any opinions.
Dave

Old 10-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Opinion is all I have to offer:

1. the "bus" bar on the wing wall by the battery is foreign to SIII cars !

2. Same for the one in the first picture. Not a jaguar thing??

3. Odd wires always suggest added items.
Security system.
Remote FOB.
Car phone.
Sound system.

4. check the S57 Jaguar schematic. Very good on wire colocations of electric device .locations .

Giordan knot???

Carl

Old 10-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

The bus bar is one that he added to clean up ground connections i believe. The style he used, i think, is more for a general purpose electrical wiring, im guessing house electrical. They are available at home depot. I had grabbed a couple originally for the same purpose before I had decided to just completely redo my entire wiring harness.

That wire does look really odd. It is a spade connector with a huge weather proofing sheathe. Never seen anything like it before. Maybe you can continuity check it and try to figure out where it comes from deeper in the car.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Ugh, Jaguar is on an extended hissy..Cranks just fine, but no fire.

Too windy out to mess with it. got my errand done in the Jeep .Football later. Sunday is to rest!!

and be thankful thjat I am not in the fire zone or the black out area!!

Carl

Old 10-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

The big blue wire with the weather proof spade goes to the original oxygen sensor. Photo of it in my 87 is below. As you can see, there are two connectors going down to the sensor.

Good luck to everyone in the fire zone and with the blackouts.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 605 Posts

Thanks Ys-3, that's the exact wire I was asking about. The shielding around the inside is what makes it look so big.

Yes Carl, I added those (3) ground busses to simplify and consolidate all those little black wires that were laying around the engine compartment. I have made smoked plexiglass covers for them and I'm happy, function over form has always been my preference. I did a little looking around, but I knew I would find the ones I wanted a the local West Marine store. They are rated for 150amps and are nickel plated copper, pretty beefy. The wad of wire you see in pic #3, Carl, is what came out of the engine compartment. There is another one on the drivers side that was a horrible installation of a car alarm. Its day is coming.

Thanks again to all, I appreciate the help.
Dave

Old 10-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

ating OK !! I did something like that. I bought a terminal at a hardware store. not ganged, though. I made it that way by adding a brass strip to connect the several contact points. I mounted mine to the right of the rack for the Jaguar relays . That little rack was removed and a larger one installed there for most of my relays for the LT1. Obscures the VIN?? So, what. Neater. A row of relays with markings and a ground bus to the right. That bus grounded by a black wire attached to the battery ground and terminating at the same wing wall bolt.. Except the ground leg for the starter relay.. It goes in to the cabin to the micro switch on the shift tower. MY shift tower is from an XJS and as such is more compliant of the GM positions.

But, ugh, my Jaguar is having a hissy. Cranks healthily, but no fire... could it be that I need to switch feed tanks??? We will see, or will we???

Carl.