XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

F.I.R.E.D!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Fixing Jags is not just a trip

It is a long journey with no final time (ETA) of reaching the destination. The longer the trip takes... the more things that come loose, wear out or finally break.

Been restoring and upgrading my Series 1 since 1992 and "am almost there" maybe another year... and lots more $$$$.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Yeah, but you probably had a good idea what you were getting into.

It's my own fault really, when we were looking at the car, I did answer his question, "Do you like it?" with, "Yes."
(';')

Old 07-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,086 Likes on 461 Posts

Im stealing this line from a boat poster i once saw, simply changing the.word boat to jag and water to garage...
A jag is mearly a hole in the garage in which to throw money! Lol

Mine sat in garage dismantled and in primer.for.over a year, it seemed everytime i touched something, something else would break, then head gasket blew, dismantled motor and then it sat for another 3 months until i finally got enough interest to put it back together, hearing the motor run again was the boost i needed to finish it up!

Last edited by Darrenmb; 07-24-2015 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry Elenor, but I have gottn a bit lost in the different threads. What is the reason that Nix is not mobile?? Is it something to do with the wheels still? My suggestion would be fully concentrate on getting her mobile first, give her a couple of good runs to 'clear her throat', then tackle the rest. Doing that will accomplish 2 things:

1) You will fall totally in love with her again, and wonder why you ever felt like giving up

2) Could 'cure' the running like a bag of s... as most cars need to be driven to function properly. They do have feelings and personalities, and they will certainly sit there and sulk in the corner, pack tantrums and get jelous of things like Wart.

If my Jag has to sit unused for as little as 3 weeks, she decides to be a grumpy grumbly old girl until I wake her up, and give her a good 'kicking' (80+mph) . then she runs sweet and purrs like the little kitten she is until she is ignored for a few weeks again.

Get her moving (if possible), and make her happier, then the rest will be a *cough* breeze

LnrB (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Jim, is that a smilie or a trip

(in the late 80's There were tablets getting around the night clubs with that face on them)

Was meant to be a smile and a drink or 2 only would be good for Lnr . As far as the eighties go I was busy bringing up a family.....my heels were kicking late sixties early seventies.....I was a professional Muso (trumpet player) nuff said I think.

Jim

Last edited by Daf11e; 07-25-2015 at 02:56 AM.
LnrB (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
Im stealing this line from a boat poster i once saw, simply changing the.word boat to jag and water to garage...
A jag is mearly a hole in the garage in which to throw money! Lol
Thank you, Darren, we have discovered that little factoid, and we're still shoveling money into that hole hoping to buy success one day.

Mine sat in garage dismantled and in primer.for.over a year, it seemed everytime i touched something, something else would break,
OH, yes!! Around here we've begun calling that the Fecal Touch.
... then head gasket blew, dismantled motor and then it sat for another 3 months until i finally got enough interest to put it back together, hearing the motor run again was the boost i needed to finish it up!
Today I didn't even look at the car! She is SO on my dirty list at the moment! Husband says tomorrow "we'll" (that means him) look at what it takes to completely dismount the compressor. It seems he wants to do the hard side first! That's SO like him!
(';')

Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Richard_gib
Sorry Elenor, but I have gottn a bit lost in the different threads. What is the reason that Nix is not mobile?? Is it something to do with the wheels still?
Not to worry, Richard, it has been a Very convoluted year. Rear brakes are the major holdup at the moment but nearly Everything on or in the car has had Major work, including the whole entire front suspension and steering rack (which I don't think works correctly).
My suggestion would be fully concentrate on getting her mobile first, give her a couple of good runs to 'clear her throat', then tackle the rest.
Yes, that was the plan, but I got concerned about the AC sitting so long that maybe the shaft seal might glue itself together. I've had that happen.
Doing that will accomplish 2 things:

1) You will fall totally in love with her again, and wonder why you ever felt like giving up
I do feel a lot better after a successful day outside, and a good supper. But you're right, at one point today I told husband I only wanted to drop a bomb into one of the gas tanks. As she's sitting in his beloved shop at the moment, he took a very dim view of that idea.

2) Could 'cure' the running like a bag of s... as most cars need to be driven to function properly. They do have feelings and personalities, and they will certainly sit there and sulk in the corner, pack tantrums and get jelous of things like Wart.
I hadn't considered that she might be jealous of Wart!! Really! Wart is an Idiot Servant compared to Nix! Neither of us actually LIKES Wart at all! We drive him only because husband's mother gave him to us when she decided to stop driving. It's the first vehicle either of us has ever owned that we care NOTHING about! And Nix is Jealous?!?!

If my Jag has to sit unused for as little as 3 weeks, she decides to be a grumpy grumbly old girl until I wake her up, and give her a good 'kicking' (80+mph) . then she runs sweet and purrs like the little kitten she is until she is ignored for a few weeks again.

Get her moving (if possible), and make her happier, then the rest will be a *cough* breeze
I have to fix the miss first, I really don't want a cat fire, but you can be sure she's gonna get a kick in the pants and run into a good lather at the first opportunity.

And thank you, Richard, for the encouragement.
(';')

Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Was meant to be a smile as drink or 2 only would be good for Lnr . As far as the eighties go I was busy bringing up a family.....my heels were kicking late sixties early seventies.....I was a professional Muso (trumpet player) nuff said I think.

Jim
Thank you, Jim, I believe I will. A little Tequila sounds good about now.........
(';')

Old 07-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default F.I.R.E.D!!

Wart might be a...well.....WART but it is a wart that gets to go out and about with you. Nix is imprisoned in her hospital room. Yip, shes jelous :-)

Last edited by Richard_gib; 07-25-2015 at 12:14 AM.
LnrB (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 01:44 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
I'm familiar with Mr. Miyagi but I have no idea who Frankie is or Holly Johnson.
Frankie Goes to Hollywood was an 80's band. They had a song called Relax.

LnrB (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Opticell: Fibre optics thing to light up elements of the dash.

OPtilite: used on LT1 engines. A different kind of distributor. Reminds me of the distributors on my flat head Ford V8's.

If you can reach the plug wires, clamp on an inductance timing light. If it strobes, that cylinder is getting spark. if not,,,

Wisfull hope. Not a plug wire issue at all. just needs some run time.

Carl

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
[...]
Wisfull hope. Not a plug wire issue at all. just needs some run time.
Carl
It is a plug wire issue, Carl, because *Someone* (I could say a name) set the motor mount down on not one but TWO plug wires and then torqued it!!

I wrested one of them free but the other one is well and truly pinched, and given the run quality (or lack of it) I'm thinking that Expensive silicone insulation is cut.

He broke it, he's gonna fix it!
(';')

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

1. Fix on the way, can't beat that!!! Two of eight to fix. Not bad at all.

2. Tequila. Hard stuff of choice. But, best in winter.

3. Suggest a promotion of "Wart' to full family status. Dear departed wife OK'd purchase of Jeep. but, fussed about it's un-Jaguar ride. Bumpy, no question. but, grew to like it's utter dependability and most, it's really cool AC!!! "Good old Jeep".

The Andrew solution to brake pedal status for the torque converter lock install completed. And, yeah, test lamp on brake switch to brake light wire lit up onm pedal application!

Mystery: Parallel yellow/white wires in the vicinity of the second brake light switch. switch. Opposite function. Default is closed. Application of pedal opens circuit.
Cruise interrupt. Connect or tape up bare wire!!

Speedo still out? Time to insert Jaguar Specialties correction module. Scuttle on that side open as well.

But, Jaguar cranks smoothly and fires quickly. Runs smooth.

No AC yet, perhaps..... Everything in place to evacuate, add oil and R134A and see what happens!!! More issues, or cooool air?

Carl

Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
1. Fix on the way, can't beat that!!! Two of eight to fix. Not bad at all.
Actually only one Needs fixed as I got the other one free. It might be merely a matter of loosening a bolt followed by judicious application of an appropriate pry bar, of which he has an abundance. Valve cover first though.
2. Tequila. Hard stuff of choice. But, best in winter.
Not really my first choice, when in that sort of mood I usually opt for Bacardi Gold but it was at the back of the cabinet so I grabbed the Tequila.
3. Suggest a promotion of "Wart' to full family status.
He's already barged his way in, Carl, in spite of our best efforts to the contrary. He's just SO like the EverReady Bunny; starts most of the time, runs most of the time (even though I thrash him Mercilessly!) AC usually works pretty well. It's just that he handles like a pig! And as for Driver Comfort, well, that phrase doesn't Even belong in the same paragraph as Wart.
Dear departed wife OK'd purchase of Jeep. but, fussed about it's un-Jaguar ride. Bumpy, no question. but, grew to like it's utter dependability and most, it's really cool AC!!! "Good old Jeep".
It seems everyone needs such a Brand X, doesn't it. I'm told that's why Jaguar owners usually have more than one car; so they have something to drive when their Jaguar doesn't.
[...]
But, Jaguar cranks smoothly and fires quickly. Runs smooth.

No AC yet, perhaps..... Everything in place to evacuate, add oil and R134A and see what happens!!! More issues, or cooool air?

Carl
I'm glad you've got it on the run, Carl, pretty soon you won't need AC anyway and you can put it off until next May or so.
(';')

Old 08-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Default Nothing Is Too Good For Nix!

After Arduous effort the compressor Finally came loose from the intake manifold and we didn't have to break into the system! It was about as difficult as I imagined it would be, starting with getting those Brand New belts off.

This is an engine wherein at least two components must be loosened before any belt can be changed or adjusted. In the case of the compressor, the Power Steering pump also tightens the compressor belt. What Fun!

All this was easier without the radiator, fan and shroud in the way because now one must work inside the shroud and around the fan to loosen the PS pump pivot bolt. Both it and the adjustment bolt must be loosened before the pump will move.

When I finally got the valve cover off I could see immediately why it was leaking all down the back of the engine. They were cork gaskets. CORK! These must be Very Olde!

Of course they broke up because part was stuck to the head and part stuck to the cover. The gasket was all hard and brittle not to mention oil soaked. There was oil on both the heads and the pan.

Husband dug out the gaskets he has stashed, a Very Nice set they are too! Have multiple sealing ridges on both sides of a steel core and squash limiters in the bolt holes. Nothing is too good for Nix!

These are from NAPA, PN# VS12869T. He paid $36.00.

Also included are long washers for tin valve covers.

As mine are cast aluminum with bolt bosses, I can't use them. They've been added to the Assorted Chevy Parts box.

Much cleanup required inside the covers though. Thick deposits of oil crust that Berryman's in a spray can softens a bit but doesn't cut without the aid of a parts brush and a stainless pot scrubber.

Before

After

These are nice heavy cast aluminum covers as mentioned, with cooling fins and reinforced bolt holes. They look a lot better after I got them cleaned up.

After making sure the head was clean and free of oil I filled the grooves on one side of the gasket with this RTV, making sure to get around the bolt holes, but not piling it up in a bead, and set the gasket in place on the head. You need to make sure the bolt holes are clear, because there is so much SMOG garbage on my heads I couldn't put in guide bolts like I wanted to. So I just set them in place and let the RTV hold them in position.

I couldn't get a picture of exactly what I did because I had that stuff all over my gloves and didn't want to slather up my camera.

Certainly these gaskets should seal for as long as I use this engine.

About that, husband says he has the Perfect heads under his desk, that should give me another 50 or so horsepower. Hmm....

EDIT: I neglected to mention the brand of RTV. It's called Mega Grey. Husband used it to repair the broken aluminum oil pan on Wart a couple years ago (someone in the distant past ran over a rock, cracked the bottom). It's in a hot and oily place, and it's still holding!

(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 08-01-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Yup, those are the good SBC gaskets. why, oh why did the PO use the cork gaskets?
Although, when placed properly and torqued properly with a decent sealant, they will remain leak free for a very long time. The trick is keeping them aligned whole putting the cover back over the rocker arms, especially in situ.

Tin covers will work, if installed properly. Over torqueing creates a ridge around the holes and they will leak. Tighten more and it gets worse..

Alloy covers are slick. Didn't come that way, so PO must've done it.

My LT1 has tin covers. No leaks, I don't think!!!

Those "long washers also come with a hump to increase the squeeze, but awy from the hole. You are correct, unneeded on the alloy covers. Some do use fancy after market fasteners. appearance and access is their claim to fame.

You might check for any markings on the heads on NIX. If low compression SMOG heads, a lot of others will get a 50 HP boost. As will a fresh pair of any decent ones properly prepared. There are many floating around that have been butchered. Ill conceived port jobs. terrible seats, shrouded valves, etc.

As your engine runs well and demonstrates good compression and vacuum, leave alone, til it no longer does that. Probably many miles down the road....

Carl

Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

"When I finally got the valve cover off I could see immediately why it was leaking all down the back of the engine. They were cork gaskets. CORK! These must be Very Olde!"

Oh I dont know Elinor, I just put a shiny new set of cork gaskets on my valve covers. I really wanted to be period correct (snort!) Not really, its just what they had in stock and being impatient I didnt want to wait.

Installing those suckers is an overnight job for me. I put a light smear of RTV on the cover, fit the gaskets and leave them on the floor, gasket down , with the bolts locating the gasket. Fit them next day when the whole thing is one unit.

As you say , one side is a doddle and the other side totally out of proposrtion to what you are trying to fix.

Last edited by yarpos; 08-02-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Default Thanks, Guys

EDIT:
I don't know what happened here, Server Duplicate Foolishness or something.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 08-03-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Default Thanks, Guys!

Thank you both.

Carl:
I got to thinking, this engine was rebuilt in 1986 by the paperwork in hand, and according to the PO, not by him but by the conversion establishment. That sounds to me like they used the Cheapest parts available. Yes, he bragged on choosing those covers. He's a painter and appearance is near the top of his Important list.

I think the pan gasket is cork too, because it's leaking just a bit, dripping off the drain bung. It's just gonna hafta stay that way for a Long while, until I decide I need a new engine. This one is running So well, that will be several years I hope.

Husband already checked out the heads. That's how he knows the ones under his desk will give me another 50 hp. He also has the BAR certification for them so I'll have no problem with the SMOG cops when the time comes. But as you say, it's running Just Fine now, apart from the miss, which I have found, and until it doesn't, I'm leaving it alone!

Steve:
"Period correct." Yeah Right! Pragmatism reigns here!

I couldn't put the gaskets on the covers first. There's too much SMOG garbage in the way to maneuver around, over, under, through. I had to glue them to the heads for fear I might knock the gasket off in the process. I only waited until things were good and dry and then put it all back together.

And there's nothing you can tell me about Impatience! I HATE unfinished projects hanging over me. I want it all done NOW! That's the biggest reason this project is driving me nuts although it's probably good for my character. (I'll be Such a character when this is finally done.)
(';')

Old 08-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

We have to put up with a fair degree of nanny state BS here in regard to many things including cars. However, we thankfully didnt go down that smog over regulation route so life with these old cars is relatively simple. I was a frequent visitor to California/Arizona in the 70's and 80's and fully understand some of the background to what drove it, as the place was choking itself. Cant believe some of the hoops you jump through now though for little or no benefit.