XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Factory Paint Options - 2 tone or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 01:01 PM
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I bought my DS420 in Japan, but not from that dealer. I bought it at action and had it shipped to Canada. Mine is all black, but someday I want to paint it in that colour scheme. Maybe keep your Daimler as is, and if you want the more individual style look for a Daimler Majestic? Those used the Century style interior, but were a bit later. I know they made them with the 6.0 V12, not sure if they were also made with the V8 cars.
I have wonderful memories of the DS420, well done for buying one! What's the difference between the Daimler Majestic and the Century? Can you educate me, please? I cannot see the difference.

Originally Posted by Greg in France
More your style Tommaso!
I already own a few of these larger classic limousines... not looking for a DS420, but it's an exceptional motorcar!

Last edited by ascanio1; 03-08-2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by ascanio1
What's the difference between the Daimler Majestic and the Century? Can you educate me, please? I cannot see the difference.
As far as I can tell, the Century was only built in 1996, 100 made of each in 6 and 12 cylinder. Interior colours were limited to two, Silk and Mushroom. I think (but am not sure) that the Majestic was built through the SVO (Special Vehicle Operations, the former limo shop people) and were built to order with any colour combination you wanted. Same sort of rear center console though, but I expect that was fully customizable.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
As far as I can tell, the Century was only built in 1996, 100 made of each in 6 and 12 cylinder. Interior colours were limited to two, Silk and Mushroom. I think (but am not sure) that the Majestic was built through the SVO (Special Vehicle Operations, the former limo shop people) and were built to order with any colour combination you wanted. Same sort of rear center console though, but I expect that was fully customizable.
At a Jaguar Enthusiast Club, which one would be considered more collectibles and on the market which one would be not valuable?

Tommaso

Old 03-09-2024, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Probably equal, I would think. Both are quite rare cars now, it's more a matter of preference. The only place I have really seen the Majestics is in Japan, but I also don't follow the UK market either. Either way, they are not common cars.

Some of the Majestics ( and some of the Double Sixes) that were late production have a plaque on the dash showing they were in the last V12 production. That might have future collectable value.
An example:

Last edited by Jagboi64; 03-09-2024 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:43 AM

Interesting. I found a Majestic in the UK and, while I am not interested as am looking for an XJS, this seems like a wonderful motorcar.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'm no expert and I'm not the epitome of good taste, but, for me, two-tone works on a tall car. It serves to make the car look lower and sleeker. On a car that already has those qualities, such as about any Jaguar saloon from MK1/2 on, it doesn't work; it gives me the impression of a cheap repair job.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 02:41 PM

You are all, slowly, convincing me to steer clear of the two tone respray...

Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,389 Posts

You are all, slowly, convincing me to steer clear of the two tone respray...
Good! A two tone job on a Series 1-III Jag reduces what is an elegant car to a car owned by (or stolen by) people you probably don’t want to know.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
Greg in France (03-13-2024), Ken Cantor (03-13-2024), LnrB (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Good! A two tone job on a Series 1-III Jag reduces what is an elegant car to a car owned by (or stolen by) people you probably don’t want to know.
Who tells you that I'm not that very thief

Jokes apart, I am going with black.

Is also piping a faux pas? I know that the series I - III never had piping on its seats, I really like piping and the seats will need re-connolizing, anyway.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think piping is fine.

I'm not enthusiastic about black. It's too .... . I'd suggest one of the two metallic shades: Solent Blue (the colour of my Daimler) or Lunar Grey (the colour of my XK). The first looks very distinguished. The second is fantastic as it varies with the light. In sunshine, the highlights become iridescent silver. Most likely, if/when my Mk2 is finished, I'll have it painted Lunar Grey.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 905 Posts

I suppose I can “pipe in” here as I have owned three Series 3 V12 VDP's, the latter two of which had factory contrasting piping.

The first was an '87 with a black interior that I believe to have been custom ordered. It had been repainted before I purchased it in a Mercedes Black that was quite striking as opposed to Jaguar's blacks at the time which always struck me as a bit muddy with too much brown in the mix.

The second was a '92 finished in Regency Red Mica, one of only two in the "final 100" that was custom ordered in that colour. It was a spectacular colour that could look quite different in different lights. Its interior was doeskin with a dark piping.

The third - which I still own - is also a '92 “final 100” finished in Oyster, one of the final 100's two "standard" colours, the other being Black Cherry. Its interior is also doeskin with a dark piping. The Oyster is a what I would call a "spectacularly elegant metallic" while the Black Cherry is one of Jaguar's later colours that is quite a striking stand-out and a very complex metallic that can also look quite different in different lights.

My XJR is Carnival Red Mica and reminiscent of the '92 although perhaps even more complex when it comes to looking different in different lights.

Last edited by Ken Cantor; 03-14-2024 at 06:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ken Cantor:
Doug (03-15-2024), Noah (03-15-2024), yachtmanbuttson (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 06:03 AM

All these motorcars are beautiful! Congratulations to all, especially to Ken for owning three!

Regarding colours, I am very partial to black, in general. But, in this case, regardless, it will have to be black, as I am not respraying the engine bay and boot.

Regarding piping, I contacted the ex Florence Rolls-Royce dealership (Menegatto) who carries a high repute within the Italian classic car enthusiast community. The seats can be piped. Two options: colouring or stitching. Menegatto has done both and never experienced a visible difference. He guarantees that the colour will not stain or wash away and it is much cheaper. I am awaiting for the cost estimate.

Last edited by ascanio1; 03-15-2024 at 06:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Contrasting piping and contrasting stitching give entirely different effects. The Series III seats as in this photo of my 1992 V12 Vanden Plas (Canadian model, identical to Ken's) are the same as in your car. The stitching, as you can see, is not visible as the stitching is on modern Jaguar upholstery. I cannot see how contrasting stitching would have any effect here:

The only place the stitching is exposed is on the armrests.
On current Jaguars piping is not used so a contrasting stitching will show; my F-Type leather in Brogue, white stitching:

Colour? As Ken mentioned, the two main colours for the "last 100" V12 Vanden Plas cars (which were essentially fully optioned Daimler Double Sixes - and yes, with the optional contrasting piping) were Oyster and Black Cherry. Here is my #92/100 in Black Cherry:

The colour can vary significantly depending upon the lighting. I can be almost black, or in the sun, a beautiful Aubergine:

Last edited by sov211; 03-15-2024 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Ken Cantor (03-15-2024), yachtmanbuttson (03-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,472 Likes on 5,471 Posts
Default Regarding BLACK:

I *Love* BLACK Jags! So my opinion is Immediately Suspect, I freely admit.

Incorrigible and unrepentant Tom Boy that I am, this car makes me feel like a Lady!
(';')

The following 4 users liked this post by LnrB:
Doug (03-16-2024), Ken Cantor (03-15-2024), sov211 (03-17-2024), yachtmanbuttson (03-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 01:28 PM

Contrasting piping and contrasting stitching give entirely different effects.
Thank you for chiming in and apologies: English is not my first language and I made a mistake. I called stitching the tube that forms part of the piping. The upholsterer offered 2 options:
1. Remove current piping and replace it with black piping, stitching it in, or
2. paint the current piping.

Colour? As Ken mentioned, the two main colours for the "last 100" V12 Vanden Plas cars (which were essentially fully optioned Daimler Double Sixes - and yes, with the optional contrasting piping) were Oyster and Black Cherry. Here is my #92/100 in Black Cherry:
Stunning colour! Splendid car! Mine was first registered in 1993 in Denmark but it is an end of the line 1992 production. I am not convinced that EU Daimlers were offered only in cherry black and Oyster but, regardless, mine is black.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:30 PM
Default Chroming the wheels and white walls

Another whisper in my ear is chroming the "1000 holes" wheels and/or white walls... fire away with your comments!

PS: I do not like wire wheels so, even if you all recommend them in unison, I won't put them on.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

I am not convinced that EU Daimlers were offered only in cherry black and Oyster but, regardless, mine is black.
The EU Daimlers were available in the complete colour range. The Black Cherry or Oyster combination was a Canada only special.

The wheels you have are properly called Ogle Perforated, or by the nickname of pepperpots. I'll disagree with Gregory here, he prefers the thin whitewall, whereas I prefer the black tire. I don't like chromed alloy wheels, they are a bit too "bling" for me. They are also difficult to maintain, the chrome has a tendency to peel at the edges over time. This may be climate dependent, but I have seen many that look shabby.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:58 PM

Craig, what about chroming the Ogle Perforated / pepperpots ?

Also for the pinstripe, I am thinking red, with red wheel caps and - possibly - red piping (instead of black - but unsure) ?? Other suggested a double pinstripe: red and silver as, apparently, jaguar often used the double pinstripe.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by ascanio1;273125120 spoke 0
Another whisper in my ear is chroming the "1000 holes" wheels and/or white walls... fire away with your comments!

PS: I do not like wire wheels so, even if you all recommend them in unison, I won't put them on.
The black '87 had 15" 72 spoke stainless wire wheels with Pirelli Cinturato narrow band whitewalls. The combination was quite lovely but it was also in a nice enough climate where road conditions were not an issue in keeping them true. The tires looked better than they drove.

The Regency Red '92 had Pepperpots with full blackwall Michelins for the summer and Kents with full blackwall Michelin X-Ice for the winter. I think the Pepperpots are particularly well suited to the car - and vice versa - but I was never a fan of the Kents. Both sets of tires drove as good as they looked.

The Oyster '92 has Pepperpots with Pirelli P4000's which is another full blackwall and not my favourite tire.

The Carnival Red XJR has 18" Asteroids with blackwall Continentals for the summer and 18" Pentas with Michelin X-Ice 3's for the winter. While I don't mind the Pentas, the Asteroids are a clear favourite for me. The tread walls aren't tall enough for anything but a blackwall tire although Pirelli does have a thin-line red stripe P-Zero that might be tempting one day.
(
I have never been a fan of fully chromed wheels on any car (nor fully black wheels either).

PS. The Pepperpots don't have thousands of holes - there are 20 larger ones on the outside ring and another 20 smaller ones on the inside ring.

Attached Thumbnails Factory Paint Options - 2 tone or no?-no-24.jpg   Factory Paint Options - 2 tone or no?-redline.jpg   Factory Paint Options - 2 tone or no?-july-2022-drivers-rear-quarter.jpg  

Last edited by Ken Cantor; 03-16-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Craig, what about chroming the Ogle Perforated / pepperpots ?

Also for the pinstripe, I am thinking red, with red wheel caps and - possibly - red piping (instead of black - but unsure) ?? Other suggested a double pinstripe: red and silver as, apparently, jaguar often used the double pinstripe.
You could chrome them, but I'm not a fan of the look myself. Take a look at the X300 wheel centre caps - the 1995-97 sedans. They fit the earlier wheels and came in a variety of colours.

There were double pinstripes - or "Coachlines" in Jaguar terms. Some XJS had a red one. Look closely at the photo of Gregory's black cherry car - it is a double stripe, and tapers to a point at each end. Some of the colours available were red/pewter and red/silver. I believe this was only on either a blue or gumnetal paint, and only XJS.

For the XJ, there was a dark red available, but not a two toned stripe.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint Options - 2 tone or no?