XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

front brakes for series III

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front brakes for series III

greetings. quick question for this forum. i was told this afteroon by my mechanic (non jag only) that i need to replace my front pads and rotors (that i pretty much knew had to be done), and also suggested calipers too. however, he recommended i take it to the local indie jag shop because he didn't have "the special tools required" to do the brakes. now i've been taking various cars to him for over 7 years, domestic and foreign, and he's done a good job overall. but i was surprised that it would take special tools for a brake job (fronts) on the 83 jag series III!.....so either he really doesn't want to work on it (he did tell me he didn't like the older jags) or do you really need special tools? i figured i would get the parts and do it myself with my mechanically inclined neighbor if tools weren't an issue.....so was he making an excuse or i need special tools?
thank you in advance, wm

Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,905 Likes on 7,165 Posts

No special tools needed. He doesn't want to work on it.

Well, I take that back. The caliper bolts are safety-wired so you'll need safety-wire pliers to do a nice job of replacing the wire. If you even replace it, that is. Many don't. Just check your bolts once in awhile....or use Loctite.

The only tricky part...and it isn't tricky once you know about it....is catching the shim(s) between the steering arm and the caliper and remembering to reinstall it.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Ok, Doug, point well taken. New question, now he's telling me that in order to fluch and fill the transmission (BW66...original tranny on 83 series III), it requires special fluid, not the regular transmission fluid. Is this true? I know it is on the 2004's because of the ZF tranny... But on a 23year old car? Say it isn't so, Doug!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,905 Likes on 7,165 Posts

Ordinary Type "F" or Type "FA" is what you need. Nothing special about it. All the Fords used it prior to '82 or so.

Lots of guys used Dexron and report good results,too.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

The only tricky part...and it isn't tricky once you know about it....is catching the shim(s) between the steering arm and the caliper and remembering to reinstall it.
Just so you know how important this is, a local Jaguar repair shop whose owner writes maintenance articles in the Jaguar Enthusiast CLub magazine here in the UK has seen a snapped steering arm due to the spacer (shim), being omitted. If it snaps the car is free to go anywhere it chooses, so my advice is to tie the shim onto the steering arm whilst you work so you don't forget it, or take a photo of it.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Fraser - good point, will be mindful of that.
Doug - thanks for the info...guess he's really not wanting to service it any more. he actually told me that it looked really clean and was wondering if it was rebuilt/remanufactured unit....it's the original. i actually had the indie jag mechanic tell me i need to have it rebuilt last year when i lost reverse and had the bands tightened ( no more tightening/adjusting left). that is when i started to think of the "quarter horse" conversion form john's cars.....but i think for approx $1800 i may just have the original rebuilt and deal with the 3 speed BW box. if i change the tranny, then it will just be a bigger temptation to do the whole engine conversion and then it's all down hill from there!! wife's not gonna like that!!!