XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Front subframe suspensions & brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:13 PM
Received 1,096 Likes on 645 Posts

Tommaso
Reference your problems with the French branch of SNG Barratt.
Have you tried SNG Barratt's other shops in the EU in the Netherlands (Holland) and in Germany?
regards

Old 03-29-2024, 02:22 AM
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
Tommaso
Reference your problems with the French branch of SNG Barratt.
Have you tried SNG Barratt's other shops in the EU in the Netherlands (Holland) and in Germany?
regards
Good morning, Bill, Laurent, the French branch director (I think), is now handling my orders. The previous chap had problems handling their systems.

But first I must clarify with my mechanic what he really needs, as his list (to me) contains parts that we already ordered 🤦🏻‍♂️

Then I'll have to ask all if you guys, here, which are the brands to buy.

Finally I can ask SNG Barratt. But their website shows no stock, so I'm sure that some parts will have to come from DM & Simply Performance (both really helpful and good prices).

Tommaso

Last edited by ascanio1; 03-29-2024 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
By the way, as you're having someone else install the lower control arm bushings, be sure he Liberally slathers a good grease on the shafts when installing, AND, he takes it around the block at least, over a speed bump preferably, BEFORE final tightening of the front bolts (nothing bad will happen in that short distance).

Because that will allow the car to Settle to its natural ride height and the bushings will last another 30 or 40 years.
He will see the front drop 2 inches or so before his very eyes. Then he will know it's right.

If he does NOT do this (I can tell you how I know) the bushings will be held in an unnaturally stressed position and they might last you 3 or 4 years before you have ominous clunking in the front, and steering is loose (I can tell you how I know that too). Merely setting the car on the floor won't do the job, neither will jumping on the bumper.
(';')
Is the nut in the first photo below, the same part #6 in the second diagram below?

And, if you don't mind me asking, how did you discover this problem?

And more importantly, how did jaguar avoid it on the production line?

Thanks, Tommaso

Last edited by ascanio1; 03-29-2024 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:11 AM
Received 1,096 Likes on 645 Posts

Tommaso
Glad you managed to sort out the "French Connection".
The "problem "you mention is not a problem relating to modern mass-produced cars.
Jaguars were not "produced" in the same way. They were actually " fettled" which required a fair bit of hands-on work by persons trained to adjust the car parts to fit.
All sorts of shims were required to get doors to hang correctly and shims in the front end to get the steering correct was pretty normal.
The 'problem" you are asking about existed in all early Jaguars and was widely publicised in workshop manuals. ie get the car to weight on wheels before tightening the suspension nuts.
I don't know what they did in the factory, but I bet they followed the same or similar procedure.
Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mac:
Greg in France (03-29-2024), LnrB (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,472 Likes on 5,471 Posts

Originally Posted by ascanio1
Is the nut in the first photo below, the same part #6 in the second diagram below?

And, if you don't mind me asking, how did you discover this problem?

And more importantly, how did jaguar avoid it on the production line?

Thanks, Tommaso
Yes, the nut pictured is the #6 in the diagram.
How did I discover there was a problem? First there was an ominous clunking when I got out of the driver seat. Then I actually looked at the bushings in question one day while my car was jacked up for a different reason. This is what I found:

Notice the rubbery bits poking out from the bolt head just above the steering boot.
It's not supposed to look like that. This was my second clue something was wrong.

But this made diagnosis definite. The bushing should NOT be sticking out like this, nor should there be a void between the bushing and the control arm.

All fixed now, good as new.

Bill, just above, has answered your production question.
(';')

Old 03-29-2024, 01:29 PM

Thank you LnrB and Bill. I appreciate this is all very new for me, and interesting.
Tommaso

The following 2 users liked this post by ascanio1:
Bill Mac (03-30-2024), LnrB (03-29-2024)