XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts

So there !! lol
I put some stuff on new "HOW TO" thread.
Lets see if there is any interest ...the other Jag site LUMP section has died I think

Old 03-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Sure does look like it!!!

Chores done. Errands done. Make lunch and do what retired folks
are supposed to do.

Used my Jeep today. In a dark garage, the auto light thing came on.
Impressive display on dash and over head.

Carl

Old 03-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

More, on J-L, only the E section is lively, the others much less so.

But, a lot of the fussy guys seem to have gone their way.

Carl

Old 03-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

ALL discussions lead to other opinons, its just a natural way of conversations.

the murray is vary narrow discussion, lumps and FI systems!

its for poor folk modifications.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 358 Posts

I think it is downright wrong of you to call it "poor folk modification" (whatever that means)
Maybe we are not all as financially fortunate as you are. To deride the Murray discussion as such is unfortunate.
If you are comparing an aftermarket bolt on, which cost more than its worth, inclusive of a laptop or tablet, with minimal tech support after the purchase,(Here is a true quote from one such vendor "It's not our system/product, it's the person who you had put it together"),with a system that has been proven over the many years of its existence, be it GM, Ford,Chrysler,Toyota, Nissan and the list goes on and on. It's a no-brainer.
As Murray states, if the modification is documented, that's as good as it gets if you were to sell the car.
A certain member was right when, in one of his posts, he stated that many conversions failed due to a lack of planning, knowledge, and technical know how.
The ability to turn some wrenches, does not equal a successful conversion.
Well planned and properly executed, one conversion can be as successful as the other.

To each, his own.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Sanchez:

Guilty!!!

But, with the help of a lot of folks and my innate stubborn streak,
my imperfect conversion is quite functional.

And, a ball to drivel

Carl

Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 AM

Regarding the "poor folk " snide remark,.. I own 3 businesses so I am not "poor". however I am not a sucker for every rounder who is trying to hawk over priced junk that may or may not work ...don't expect support. They are in it for the money.

The GM engineers spent millions on development - just learn what they did, and adapt it, and get support from everywhere.

I am NOT impressed with people who think they have a better method simply because they spent more money on it. Are they nuts?? Stop smoking that stuff !!

I will bet (not counting my time ) that I have less than 1500 dollars into the project ...mostly through recognizing good deals as they come up.
Just got to have a plan and watch for the items that you need. As I have mentioned before,.. I LOVE the Pick N Pull yards. As an example, I am putting a 350 TBI in my low mile '83 Buick Electra. Using a 1227747 v6 ECM in it as well (from Astro van) needed a new 350 V8 chip. Went to PaP and found a Camaro with V8 opened its ECM and there it was,.. a custom HyperTech chip set !! worth 150 got it for 5 bucks (poor folk) ha !

:icon_chicke ndance:

Last edited by alynmurray; 03-25-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely!!!
Rich or poor, management of the bucks is what counts.

Tossing money at an issue can work, or not!! Guess which !!!

Carl

Old 03-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Getting at the end of the stuff needed to do

I found out today that my very neat use of Jack Nuts (drill a hole and push in the nut and then insert a bolt and collapse the back until tight).. have plastic coating around the holes... not a good fuel pump ground spot. I moved the fuel pump ground today to a freshly scrapped off spot and now the fuel pump shows pressure on the fuel regulator gauge...

Will have my lunch and then go out and do the Start Up Setup and see what happens..

Glad to see that others have used the alternate How to Thread to start postings on the different ways to use fuel injection on a Lumped Jaguar.

Hope they start to show the HP being supported by their different systems.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:46 PM

That is the issue in a nutshell. with 2.88 gears on the Jag, its not HP that you expereince most of the time. but its torque, that you feel when you press the loud pedal from a low RPM range..HP comes from high RPM.s Are you going to be motoring along at 135 on city streets,.. just to feel it get on the cam and start making serious HP (and twist the hell out of that dinky little rear cage held to the chassis with 4 bolts each side) Probably not and that is why I am a big believer in TBI for Jags with 2.88 diffs. If you were using 3.70 or numerically higher gears ,...then yes I could see the advantage. Question is ,..at what RPM do you do most of your cruising at? With 2.88 and OD you will be at 60 mph at around 1650 rpm depending on how tall the driving tires are and final ratio. . If you can pull 6500 rpm and you get 65 mph at 1650 rpm. So do the math ...3300 RPM = 135 MPH... Are you on the cam yet?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

WOW i did not know any of that stuff!!

i only been modifing fast cars for 65 years.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 PM

SO how old are you 85?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

I am 86. I've read of gearing, torque curves, "on the cam" for years.

Way back when, old Fords were used in jalopy or "stock car racing.
Often on 1/4 mile clay. Stock gear ratio was 3.78 to one. Not enough
grunt for 85 or 100HP's. Hook the three on the floor transmission in second, things got a lot better in coming off the turns.

Then, the cars got hotter, a lot hotter. One guy managed to stay
close with an ealy 30's Plymouth coupe and a "big" 254 CI Dodge
six. got the best grunt in high. proably a 4.11 or so ratio and smallish rear wheels. that torque thing, the "big" six had it.

Repeating, I think. The LT1 and 4l60E from the big 94 Cadillac
Fleetwood Brougham is "torque tuned". It does well, in the heavy
Jaguar with the 2.88 rear ratio. I'm not sure that the HP tuned
Corvette LT1 would be as good a match.

The 2cycle dirt bikes responded similarly. No "cam", so the term
was "on the pipe". The shape of the exhaust pipe determined the rpm range of max torque.

Except for the little Yamaha 90, I bought my son early on. Rotary valves!!! Swaps in those with different openings did the deed.
Made a 'screamer" of it. Ugh, it's little transmission flunked the
clutchless speed shifting needed to keep it "on the pipe".

My son used to own and operate an auto machine shop. performance engines were his preference. Many "loved" his "hot" engines.
Mostly achieved by using an RV grind cam, rather than one with a lot of duration. that torque thing....

He did that with his own racers. 440 powered Dodge ex cop car. 460 powered big 73 T'bird. 351 Cleaveland powered full race Ford Fairmount. Few if any big cammed SBC's could match them off the turns. And, that is the key to oval racing!!!

Check the big diesels. Modest HP numbers. Humongous torque numbers. Torque moves the load.

Apologies, rant done.

As to the "poor' thing. In my opinion, doesn't refer to the wealth of the individual, but merely to the cost of the project.

Somethng like "big buck" project vs "low buck" project.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (03-30-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM

I agree with you entirely Carl. If the beast's engine is finely balanced, and you find the sweet spot (where you can hear the tone change and you have 3.73 or better gears and you know you can wind the V8 to about 7200 RPM or so ...that's speed and horse power !! Remember a friends brand new 1968 Camaro Z-28 302 with 4.11 gears - that car would literally sing in 3rd at 4000 rpm and then scream when he mashed it ...all the way up to 7200 rpm.

The one evening outside of a small town north of Montreal he got into a (from a stop) drag race against another friend who had just bought a 19681/2 Mustang with newly released (half way through the model year hence the 1/2 name) 428 Cobra Jet motor ( he was the lucky guy who worked at a Ford dealership -performance section (they were a Shelby dealer) So there they were side by side, engines revving I noticed the Mustangs rear wheels slipping against the pavement (and he had not moved yet) but when he did he blew the doors off of the Camaro. Camaro might have caught him - if the race was 2 miles long ...but they never are.
Torque = squirt
How ever I agree with your assessment of the lt1 and 4l60e from a Caddy ... being in the Jag .. "engine don't know what car it is in." Same weight etc. Great match Typically Caddy built for torque oops Roger will be pissed I hijacked his thread ...sorry.. again.

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alynmurray
SO how old are you 85?
i knew some one here was older than me,also at least someone in OZ.

i'm 82 born 1934,, and my 1st car(what else but) a 1934 Ford V8 roadster!

bought it in 1949(15 yrs old), 1st thing i did was modifiy it, no running boards ,no front mudgards, no top,(all shredded to he*l)anyway.

been going fast ever since!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

He,he!!!

I was born in 29!!! Checker asked for my birth day at the store the other day!!!

Compliment or ??? Middle aged lady in line behind me commented, "I guess it's been a while since you were carded last?"

My hair ands whiskers are quite grey and streaked in white!!!

My first car in 46 was a 23 Ford T, that did not run and had no tires.
Top??? long gone, before me. Learned a lot there. I, with help got it running and on rubber and the road.

Carl

Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Still see this as a conversation with a lot of views among car folks !!

Old 03-29-2016, 05:30 PM

I'm 71 - first car was a 34 Ford with a rumble seat Can't remember what engine was in it but it had a Lincoln /Zepher trans. It was a pile of iron,..sold it before it killed me.
Recently did a "looking back over the years" exercise. Now with the internet offering so much information at the click of a mouse, I decided to create an album (folder) on my computer of pictures of all the cars I have owned over the years, as I could remember them. Found exactly the car in exactly the color, in the order I had them. Brings back lots of long forgotten memories of "people and places that I can recall" (thank you John Lennon - In My Life ). Time really does fly.. lots of good times ..lots of regrets.. it is what it is..

Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default We are all getting older - that is good

I will be 73 in December. First car was '52 Chevrolet with 261 cubic inch six with Chevy close ratio four speed and second car was '34 Ford
Tudor Sedan with 3/8 X 3/8 flat head... wish I still had it today... could not leave well enough alone.

Put a 301 Chevrolet V8, B&M Hydro, twin Paxton super chargers into the two four barrels.. fun but not so very fast... great learning experience but scary
to drive with all that power and light weight.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 358 Posts

Seems that I am the least experienced of the group. I'll be turning 68 in December. Been turning wrenches since I was 14.. I was living in Reading, England and my first car was a Ford Anglia which I pretty much destroyed learning to fix it.
I then moved on to a Austin Mini with its 850 cc engine. Installed a 1300 cc engine in that
car. My introduction into Mods. What a blast to drive.