XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Car started on first attempt with new TBI system

After fixing a bad (Jaguar) fuse for the distributor power, the LEDs inside it started working and it was then powered.

The fuel pressure gauge is flaky and they are sending a replacement out. Went through the Setup questions to set the cubic inches, fuel type, distributor type etc. and started the car... let it warm up to about 160F and then shut it off. It shut down perfectly.

I then re-checked for fuel leaks everywhere and started it up again.. the
car ran and idled fine.. all the Jaguar gauges worked and the Tach still
worked with the new hookup. The new six port Pollak changeover valve is working and changing from tank to tank upon request... it uses the Jaguar switch on the dash. You can barely hear the fuel pump prime on startup and it will be even quieter with the spare tire back in place and the wood floor installed and the trunk closed.

Will clean up the car today, then take it for a drive around town to confirm
all is well and then onto our local freeway for some different conditions. This will help the new TBI system "Learn" and do it's adjustment to the AFR and timing.

I can watch all this in real time with the supplied tablet. It will take a couple of tanks of gasoline to see if there are economy improvements but
there is already better starting and stopping of the engine than with the carb.

Old Guys Rule

The following users liked this post:
yarpos (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My cars!!! some where I have a list, 60-80 or so over 70 years.

Not sure if I counted the company cars furnished me. (the best kind).

Alyn: Zephyr gears were a desired "Hot rod" option. Higher ratio in second. Usually the guts were stripped from a junk yard zephyr and installed in the Ford case. Very simple transmissions to work on. Just a tad "delicate". Shucked teeth off the cluster not uncommon after a :missed" speed shift!!!

The most desireable was the 39 version. Last of the three on the floor and with the "advanced" synchro's of the later "three on the tree' versions.

I swapped a .22 Histandard pistol for a very tired three window. No fenders and a 41 engine. It's PO's younger brother thought it was sporty to press the start button while the car went down the road.
Shucked ring gear relegated it to "bump starts"!!!

PO made a deal with the local shade tree. engine swap for one with a good ring gear. Straight across. but, the swapped engine had a cracked block. Generous addition of coolant to the sump. Didn't run too bad. Raced it on the desert track a few times. I newer placed, but considered a finish a win!!!! As I worked at a service station, I merely changed oil often with "used" oil. In the era of 1000 mile changes, most was decent....

I did have a "good car"!! 47 BRG Ford V8 tudor!!! WSW tires all the rage, then. Skirts and twin Smitty mufflers made it an "in" car.

Even my conservative dad liked it. He and mom went on a trip in it
along with aunt and her kids. The 47 easily out did aunt's new 52 Chev with powerglide....

Much later I got a 50 Chev with three on the tree. Four door, black with wsw tires. looked good, rn well, but a tad boring....

Of all my cars, My Jaguar ranks up at the top or very near...

Carl

Old 03-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,245 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Being the only girl in a herd of boys I learned to walk in the tool crib (Of course I don't remember that, but my mother was So angry) and as soon as I got good at it I was in the shop where all the guys were (well, they were the ones who let me walk around in the tool crib!). They did Interesting things out there! VROOM VROOM. Mother was Not pleased!

I got my first bicycle when I was 6, and 3 months later I took the back wheel off to see how the coaster brake worked (doubtless the bad influence of my brothers). Mother was Furious! I rode that bicycle until I thought I was too old (12).

I was driving my brother's car for a long time before I got a car of my own at 15 (couldn't drive it on the paved roads but we were out in the country where kids drove as soon as they can reach the pedals); maintenance was my responsibility (had to change left front wheel bearing right off, which repair lasted until I drove the wheels off the car out at 18) so when I was turned loose on an unsuspecting public at 16, I was already a pretty good driver if I say so myself.

I've been under the hood of a car/truck (if not completely under it) about as much as I've been in the driver seat; Certainly more than I've been in the kitchen!

My profile says I'm 34 so it must be true.
(';')

Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Bits and pieces of trivial memory!!!

Different world then for kids. A modern mom might be pleased that
her daughter was messing in the grease and not out getting in
huge messes that don't wash off easily!!!

But, boys could go astray back then as well. One evening, Mom's older brother came over to check on us. Dad was away, army thing,
My brother and I exclaimed to check out our new pants. he as alarmed!!! Better not be "Zoot" pants !!! Startled Mom as well.
No, genuine Levi jeans ! Rare and hard to come by at the time. Unc, greatly relieved. He should've realized neither Mom or dad would've even let us come close to 'em...

The New Departure Coaster brake. Not sure when I got my first bicycle. Used, no back fender and lousy tires. But, what fun. Family
bypassed some stuff, I think and got me new tires and tubes from Western Auto. It and White's auto were the national franchise parts houses. White's sold Levi's as well???

I had to open the rear as well. Neat little circlip formed the "pedal forward and propel, pedal back and lock the wheel. Don't pedal and coast... A sprag effect. Unknown to me then. well, the circlip could and would have an ear break off, pedal forward OK, coast Ok, pedal back, free wheel!!!! No brakes..... Not oo bad on the flats, but on a hill, oh,oh!!!!

Oh, the car with the busted block was a 34 Ford. three window. Near junk then, now dear rod material.

Carl

Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
My cars!!! some where I have a list, 60-80 or so over 70 years.

Not sure if I counted the company cars furnished me. (the best kind).

Alyn: Zephyr gears were a desired "Hot rod" option. Higher ratio in second. Usually the guts were stripped from a junk yard zephyr and installed in the Ford case. Very simple transmissions to work on. Just a tad "delicate". Shucked teeth off the cluster not uncommon after a :missed" speed shift!!!

The most desireable was the 39 version. Last of the three on the floor and with the "advanced" synchro's of the later "three on the tree' versions.

I swapped a .22 Histandard pistol for a very tired three window. No fenders and a 41 engine. It's PO's younger brother thought it was sporty to press the start button while the car went down the road.
Shucked ring gear relegated it to "bump starts"!!!

PO made a deal with the local shade tree. engine swap for one with a good ring gear. Straight across. but, the swapped engine had a cracked block. Generous addition of coolant to the sump. Didn't run too bad. Raced it on the desert track a few times. I newer placed, but considered a finish a win!!!! As I worked at a service station, I merely changed oil often with "used" oil. In the era of 1000 mile changes, most was decent....

I did have a "good car"!! 47 BRG Ford V8 tudor!!! WSW tires all the rage, then. Skirts and twin Smitty mufflers made it an "in" car.

Even my conservative dad liked it. He and mom went on a trip in it
along with aunt and her kids. The 47 easily out did aunt's new 52 Chev with powerglide....

Much later I got a 50 Chev with three on the tree. Four door, black with wsw tires. looked good, rn well, but a tad boring....

Of all my cars, My Jaguar ranks up at the top or very near...

Carl
hey carl small world, i owned a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr coupe V12,1951, paid to much $35.dollars, no battery, and left frt tire flat.

my DAD called it the Slinkin Linkin, for its shape, today the shape is copied by guys like Foose and Boyd,ETC.

Ford kinda copied French coupes of that era, late 1930s.

well the 37 V12 coupe started hard smoked bad used much oil, so me and friend yanked 12 out and put in 46 merc V8,239" what an improvement much faster and used no oil! great car.(like most here wish i had it today).

Old 03-31-2016, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Sounds good Roger, will be interested to hear how it progresses. You must be pleased with a smooth transition and the big clean up in the trunk.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry Roger, a blatant hijack of your FI thread. How and why I did it, bothers me....

I'll try harder...

So far your project seems intriguing. Kudos.

Carl

ronbros (04-01-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts

Good for you Roger
I am sincerely happy for you and the fact that the TBI project is going as smoothly as you thought it would.

Hope it all keeps working as you expected it to.. Happiness is..

The following 2 users liked this post by alynmurray:
Roger Mabry (04-01-2016), ronbros (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

alyn, for your interest, had a 1990-1992 GMC Savana van,AWD ,4.3 V6, come in shop for engine rebild,around 2000-2001!

engine out thru front of vehicle, to my surprise it had a plenum chamber on top, cast aluminum, with runners to the cyl. head ports, 6 fuel injectors aimed at valves!

and a control module to run things.

a woman owned it ,bought new, had 125K miles, someone said it should have an overhaul, well it turned out it had NO,NONE for internal wear, good cross hatch on walls, lower end like new,

it was a roller cam motor, with balance shaft, altho parts were hard to find , seems most were more modern than contemperary 4.3L engines, like low drag rings, higher level bearings, all had to come from GM supplier, gaskets ETC.

the kicker was when it came in it had a slight skip, again someone said it needed rebild!

after we finished job it ,it still had skip, some tests showed one bad injector(we should have NOT followed owners demands,and done our own tests). sent all injectors to injection test room, cleaned and tested all,(perfect engine ran smooth as silk).

paid me well ,everyone happy, and another lesson learned!

but it shows that GM did build some special TPI 4.3V6s.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Slight skip requires a rebuild!!! Ugh!

The bad and the good.

Carl

ronbros (04-01-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default New FP gauge working perfectly

New FP gauge came under Warranty and I installed it and adjusted the FP to 43 lbs.. both the gauge and the handheld now show the desired FP.
Old gauge would read as much as ten (10) lbs different from the handheld and the other FP gauge.

Blue fitting sticking out the side holds a Shraeder valve the I can connect my regular large fuel pressure gauge for verification of the
pressure should the little gauge differ. I have a 90 degree adapter coming that will point the valve straight upward for easy connecting.

Having the handheld available that shows Live Data and has multiple screen setups - is very handy. It clamps to the glove box door
with a sticky GPS type mounting bracket. That is where I have my Garmin GPS attached when traveling.

Photos show the desired results!

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-imag1925.jpg   Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-imag1926.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 04-02-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Add photos
ronbros (05-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Default Adding cold air intake and K&N filter

I increased the height of the custom aluminum radiator support to give me room for the hole needed for the carbon fiber air box from Bob Loftus.

Because of hood height, I will use the Spectre 98499 air plenum cap and tubing to connect to the air box bellows.The last photo is a .bmp and has to be opened by itself... sorry.The little drawing of the plenum is a .jpg but it did not open up like the others? Is good as it shows the plenum dimensions and the views.

The one photo shows the air box system hooked up to a MAF and mine will have a four (4) inch tube connected to that bellows and the plenum end.

The new fuel injection system is working perfectly...just want to help it with the addition of ambient outside air into the intake.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-only-horn-left-install.jpg   Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-photo.jpg  
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Spectre 98499 air plenum.bmp (183.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-09-2016 at 07:58 PM.
ronbros (05-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Holley Hp Efi on my sbc turbo jag. Runs great and gets good gas millage. It's all in the tune. I even have a flexfuel tune for it.

ronbros (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

i use the SDS,(simple digital systems) standalone EFI system, been 21yrs ,upgraded 3 times, technology does not stand still!

been great many adjustments and break points, use a A/F ratio digital gage for tuning.

the magic of a hi/performance engine has always been in the tuning, most people just buy already tuned parts, standalone tuning enters a completly different area of engine performance! it is today(as always) an art form!

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-sds-programmer-pix-004.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Default Plenum cap on and now ready for the carbon fiber air box

Bob Loftus is making me another of his custom fiber air boxes that fit into the S3 radiator support. My all aluminum support has now been modified with a higher piece to support the height required for the air box hole.

The plenum cap will only fit with the hose connection pointing toward the
passenger fender...I will use 90 degree stuff to get the hose going toward
the front rubber bellows. The low Jaguar hood precludes the outlet from
facing forward...

It all fits nicely now and rubber weather stripping piece is installed that
forces (seals the top of the radiator support) the incoming air from the grill into the K&N filter.

There is still plenty of room for a turbocharger?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-plenum-toward-rh-side.jpg   Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-plenum-pointed-rh-fender.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fit the plenum cap so it now faces forward

Blue tape was "just in case" and the red stuff on top was rubbing compound to show where it hit the hood and by how much... it does not hit now even
with downward pressure on the top of the hood over that high spot.. the bottom of the plenum cap had a thick base that could be ground down at an angle.

I will put back on the angled thermostat housing and move the temp sender near it to the RR of the intake manifold- where there is another hole. Then the hose with a extension tube will point directly to the air box bellows.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-imag1970.jpg   Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-cold-air-box-.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-18-2016 at 11:23 AM.
lickahotskillet (06-22-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Default Exciting dat

Bob Loftus just shipped my cold air kit parts. All I have to do now is drill two holes and bolt it all together. This kit is not normal as I do not need to use all
the front mounting pieces he includes. My custom radiator support has a special attaching point for the B&M trans cooler that will allow proper supporting of
the filter.

There will be a polished tube between the bellows and the plenum cap on the top of the TB... will cut to proper size when all is here. Final photos will be
posted.

VERY SOON and the conversion will be 100% completed!

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-cold-air-kit-pieces.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 06-20-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default All finished

Parts for cold air kit arrived and were installed. Looks and works great... the whole conversion has been positive... it starts with just the key and runs 100%+ and then shuts off properly... get rid of your carbs now!

Next step is to tear it down for a bare metal repainting in the same BRG.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel injection converson on S1 XJ 383/200R-finished.jpg  
Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,245 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Congratulations, Roger!
I think I'll be keeping my carbs though. As my car is a 76, (JANUARY, 1976!! Why couldn't it be only One Month older??) all the SMOG rules apply. I can only fool with it in ways they can't see.
(';')

Old 06-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Gee, Elinor. How many carbs do you have? One per car, or....

Multiple carbs can be "fun". I tried tripower on my Hot rod of the 40's project. Looked great, too much. Swapped down to two? Much better.

Never got to enabling progressive linkage. All four barrels open at once.

Swapped from ATT to Xfinity triple play. Whew, far from "plug n play". Been off line a couple of days... Now two desktops are on.
One is doing not so good. Oh,oh! this one just fine, so far.

Old laptop and WIFI not agreeing...

Way behind on chores, better get at it,

Carl