XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Fuel Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fuel Tanks

My fuel gauge wasn't working. The P.O. said he replaced both units and had the tanks boiled out. I drained the tanks and found the senders were corroded and not reading. I sprayed them with carb cleaner and worked them back and forth and they started working. After putting fuel in tanks I realized they weren't working still. I drained tanks again and found that the sender arms had to be slightly bent away fro pick-up tubes. They now work, however upon inspection of interior of tank I'm left with questions.

1.) Does anyone know if there are supposed to be some sort of sock on the pick-up tube?

2.) Where did this rubber gasket come from? It fell out when I drained tank.

3.) What are your recommendations for tank rejuvenation given condition seen?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tanks-gas-003.jpg   Fuel Tanks-gas-004.jpg   Fuel Tanks-gas-005.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Gasket looks like fuel sender.. new tanks are the best choice and they (Spectra) do not have socks over the pickup tube like the stock tanks. Add your own inline filters to resolve the crud problems that happen.. keep the tanks full if the car is not used daily.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
I'd replace that. To remove all the crud, some of which is metal, you'd have to also take more metal leaving you with a weakened tank.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Gasket looks like fuel sender.. new tanks are the best choice and they (Spectra) do not have socks over the pickup tube like the stock tanks. Add your own inline filters to resolve the crud problems that happen.. keep the tanks full if the car is not used daily.

Sorry, but I failed to give you a size perspective of the gasket. Its more the size of the drain plug but slightly smaller.

Are you saying they originally had socks then?

Before I opened these tanks I knew there was a problem because my fuel filter was getting flakes in it. I added an additional canister filter temporarily.

I'm thinking short term of just replacing one tank and removing the other so as to spread out the money outlay, because my radiator also started leaking yesterday.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:03 AM

I just keep telling myself...its a beautiful car, its a beautiful car, its a beautiful car.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Drain plug size? Maybe the rubber seal on the filler cap?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,865 Posts

looks like the rubber seal from the large round drain plug at the very bottom of the tank.

(there are two drains, one is a 13mm bolt to just drain liquid, the larger 19mm nut removes the entire bottom mesh filter / drain assembly, at least in the Series 3 that is how they are. My 1965 S type with twin tanks it is the same as in my 1984 XJ-6.

the fuel filler cap gasket is rubber too but it has a 1/8" hole at the center, not an open seal like in the picture.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jose
looks like the rubber seal from the large round drain plug at the very bottom of the tank.

(there are two drains, one is a 13mm bolt to just drain liquid, the larger 19mm nut removes the entire bottom mesh filter / drain assembly, at least in the Series 3 that is how they are. My 1965 S type with twin tanks it is the same as in my 1984 XJ-6.

the fuel filler cap gasket is rubber too but it has a 1/8" hole at the center, not an open seal like in the picture.

Well it doesn't really matter; I was just curious, but its actually a little smaller than the large drain plug gasket that goes on outside to seal tank (it has a step in it and will sit perfectly on the inside of the drain plug threaded end.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:04 AM

I could have almost sworn that one gasket fell out drain the first time I drained it and then another one fell out (the same tank) the second time I drained it. But I don't trust my memory. It would seem more logical that one fell out of each tank but at different times. The drain plugs do have their gaskets on them so they aren't missing. The P.O. swears they had been cleaned professionally but whoever did it did a lousy job.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,472 Likes on 5,471 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYJAG-84
I just keep telling myself...its a beautiful car, its a beautiful car, its a beautiful car.
There have been days, when I would have taken $50 for Nix and never looked back.

Today isn't one of them, and there hasn't been one of them for a while, but there have been those days when I looked at her with gritted teeth and clenched fists, and thought seriously about stuffing a rag in the gas tank and lighting it off!!

When you get all the criminal negligence corrected, and you can Finally get in the car, start it up, and have a high degree of confidence you won't have to call for a flat bed ride home, Then you'll know the full joy of owing an Xj6.
(';')

Old 04-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I've read of travails with tanks in these critters and fixes from new tanks to "pro clean: and DIY solutions.

If they are "merely" cruddy and do not leak, a course is suggested. Drain them. Messy and uncomfortable, but doable. Been there. Remove the sock on the pickup, if present. Add low PSI filters between the tanks and fuel pump. When they clog, swap
them out. Big $'s not involved. Eventually, all crud will be out. Filter swap becomes normal maintenance. Beats tank swap all to pieces.

Follow the theorem: Easies first !!!!

Now, if I can only get about 15 gallons of fuel out of my Jeep's tank. No drain and siphon efforts have failed !!!

Carl

Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
I've read of travails with tanks in these critters and fixes from new tanks to "pro clean: and DIY solutions.

If they are "merely" cruddy and do not leak, a course is suggested. Drain them. Messy and uncomfortable, but doable. Been there. Remove the sock on the pickup, if present. Add low PSI filters between the tanks and fuel pump. When they clog, swap
them out. Big $'s not involved. Eventually, all crud will be out. Filter swap becomes normal maintenance. Beats tank swap all to pieces.

Follow the theorem: Easies first !!!!

Carl

I like the way you think Carl.

I think I'll try do the clean em out and filter method for a now while I concentrate on replacing the original radiator with a aluminum one. I wanted to replace it before it leaked anyway because the filler cap is lower than the radiator hose from engine. Any suggestions from someone whose done this would be welcome too.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,389 Posts

I don't think anyone answered your question about a "sock" on the pick-up tube. The answer is YES, there was a very fine mesh "sock" filter push-fitted to the end of the pick-up tube.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 PM

From one Gregory to another Thanks!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

The gasket is off the original filter that fits on the end of the pickup tube. A hard plastic affair that slips on the tube, gasket on the bottom of the filter then the bottom plug goes on and snugs up against the bottom of the gasket/filter. Not many cars have the rubber gasket anymore. Most have been discarded from not knowing where they go... Search c.26310

That tank looks pretty good imho, the brown in the bottom is mostly semi hard syrupy sludge. Reaching thru the sender hole, poke it with a long stick and see if it isn't hard but slightly spongy. Any more pics? Good original tanks are NLA, rather have one than a new repop.

Last edited by slofut; 04-30-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:40 AM

I've also thought that the thick stuff in the bottom of the tanks may be a compound put in there at the factory (?), it's dense and spongy, hard as hell to remove, strong paint remover for hours won't even get it. I'd like to know more about it.
I've had very good luck with KBS tank sealer. They have the best rust remover. Done many tanks incl jags.
To do it right though takes a lot of work and repetition, prob easier to just replace but the new tanks have no pickup filter, only a small drain plug. And I question whether the fittings will have to be adapted for some cars, specifically series 1/2 cars vs ser 3.
IIRC David Boger cut a tank apart and took pics. Would be good to refer back to see if all had this stuff in the bottom.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by INDYJAG-84

Movie first Gumball Rally, xke never made it out of the pits, guys drive buy it on a trailer midway thru the race and say "but it's such a handsome design"!

The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=slofut;1672553]The gasket is off the original filter that fits on the end of the pickup tube. A hard plastic affair that slips on the tube, gasket on the bottom of the filter then the bottom plug goes on and snugs up against the bottom of the gasket/filter. Not many cars have the rubber gasket anymore. Most have been discarded from not knowing where they go... Search c.26310
QUOTE]

Slofut,
Thank you! You have satisfied my curiosity on those gaskets. I'm in process of flushing out these tanks. I was thinking of just cleaning the bottom with degreaser and then pouring in a mild de-rust agent like Evaporust through the sender hole. Let it sit a while and then flush out and fill. Mainly I just want the debris in bottom out. It would be nice if I could retro fit a new filter on the pick up tube too.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=INDYJAG-84;1672660]
Originally Posted by slofut
The gasket is off the original filter that fits on the end of the pickup tube. A hard plastic affair that slips on the tube, gasket on the bottom of the filter then the bottom plug goes on and snugs up against the bottom of the gasket/filter. Not many cars have the rubber gasket anymore. Most have been discarded from not knowing where they go... Search c.26310
QUOTE]

Slofut,
Thank you! You have satisfied my curiosity on those gaskets. I'm in process of flushing out these tanks. I was thinking of just cleaning the bottom with degreaser and then pouring in a mild de-rust agent like Evaporust through the sender hole. Let it sit a while and then flush out and fill. Mainly I just want the debris in bottom out. It would be nice if I could retro fit a new filter on the pick up tube too.
A new filter will fit right on, yours has been merely left off. Available at any of the regular Jag suppliers.
Going by your pics, evaporust would be a good plan. New tank filter AND put inline filters on each tank hose (in the boot) going to the changeover valve.
Until you remove the tanks and derust/seal, they're going to be producing a very fine rust that will stay suspended in solution in the fuel. This only clogs (in order) the changeover valve (resulting in excess fuel in one tank, overflowing all over the car), the input screen in the fuel pump, the main fuel filter, the fuel pressure regulator, injectors, then back to the two return valves (same symptom as changeover valve) and crud back into the tanks to start the cycle all over again. After cleaning both tanks on my '86 and sealing one, and replacing ALL three valves with new, and thoroughly flushing all fuel lines with mineral spirits and new filters, the old girl ran almost flawlessly for two years as my daughter drove it to school daily. The ticket is to have all components clean at once.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 AM

Btw... I cleaned one tank in-car. Water hose, sticks with scotchbrite zip tied on, long brushes, strong degreaser etc... But it will need removal and further attention later on. You'll need compressed air afterwards to blow out the vent lines.