XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

gear selector cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear selector cable

for the past few days I have been fiddling with my gear selector cable trying to get my 84' xj6 to move. When I first started working on it could go forward, but not reverse. Now after trying to tighten the cable, none of the gears seem to catch. I dont even hear the clicking they made when I first started working on it. I wondered if you guys had any advice on how to adjust the cable, or whether it might be some other issue. Any help would be great. Ive been trying to get the darned thing to move for weeks. Thanks alot!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Default RE: gear selector cable

I doubt the cable was the problem, instead, there is a Bandadjustment bolt on the front left side of the transmission, (LHD cars), which can be accessed by raising the carpet over the transmission tunnel before the accelerator pedal, where you will see a removableaccesspanel.
Once that panel is removed, you can adjust the Bands by turning the bolt 1/4" turn at a time.

This is not a procedure that can be explained here, there's a lot to dobefore you start turning bolts, like making sure the cable is set/adjusted to factory specs, and for that, you need the Factory Shop Manual, which I assume you don't have. It's like trying to repair a car on the phone, it never works.

You can order the Shop Manual CD here: http://www.lbcarco.com or contact Ken at http://www.motorcars-ltd.com or try eBay, but watch out on eBay since they are selling illegal copies which don't run when inserted in to the CDRom.

Jose