XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

heat/ ac

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat/ ac

Hey guys. I have a slight problem with my climate control. I brought it into a shop and the mechanic said id need a new core and theres a bunch of problems. As far as I know, the fuses are reaplced and blowers are working. I am getting air flow through the car. The water hose to and from the heater valve is hot when the defrost is on and the car is warm. The outlet hose coming out of the firewall, next to the hose connected to the water valve also gets hot. This leaves me to think that it is not the core. I do not get A/c either.

What should I do? this is a 1986 Jaguar XJ6

Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts
Default RE: heat/ ac

which "core" is the mechanic wanting to replace?

the EVAPORATOR inside the car?

or the CONDENSER in front of the radiator?

Are you saying you do not have HEAT ? In the middle of Summer?

If you are talking about the "core" in the center of the car's interior, I seriously doubt
that's the problem. Those never go bad. And if you did have to replace it, it would be an enormous disassembly of the entire interior. I could understand if it was the Condenser, but I also doubt it.

If you don't have a/c, make sure that:

1) the compressor is good,
2) there is refrigerant in the system,
3) replace the Heater Valve if you haven't already,
4) replace the A/C Expansion Valve if repalcing any a/c component.

More information would be good, you don't say exactly what the system is doing or not doing.

Jose

Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 PM

I do not have heat, but the winter is cold where I live, so I would like to try and have heat when I need it.

The mechanic was talking about the heater core. I dont have heat at all and without heat in this car during the winter it would be useless. No A/c in the summer is ok, just rolling down the windows. I would like to fix the heat, but i have checked the symptoms i have been issued to test thus far. Hot hoses to and from core, good valve, fuses.

The AC is still has the R12 system. I just wanted to know te next thing to check for the heat. No A/C is ok for now, but I dont know how to test it.

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts
Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 AM

You guys are pretty darn quick. It is in fact a series 3, so all your help, Great Francis, was worth while.

You are exactly right with these flaps, because all the flaps are always open for defrost. Just now, and it wasnt doing this yesterday, the air is only blowing out of defrost no matter what setting. I dont mind that for now, as heat is my first priority, and the air conditioning can wait a little while. I still only get lukewarm/car temp blowing through defrost when set to 85.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Alright, I am going to work on testing the amplifier and servo, if those reveal no heat I will definitely try your flushing method. Your method sounds a lot more fun than testing my amplifier.

It has an inspection appointment tomorrow, so lets hope it passes that. Ill have to put all this stuff back together for the time being.