XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Hello! New here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 06:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hello! New here.

Just an introduction. I have always liked the brand but never owned one. I inherited what I'm told is a Jaguar XJ6 series III. It's been parked for 8 years so I expect to be here a lot asking for help. I go see it for the first time this morning so I will probably be back with questions by this evening. Thanks all for this forum, thanks in advance for any help and please wish me luck.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2022, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,086 Likes on 461 Posts

Welcome! Good luck ! And take lots of pictures, we loooove pictures!!!

Old 05-21-2022, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,302 Likes on 5,424 Posts

Hello,
Not only do we Loooove pictures as Darren says, we also Looove to see these cars brought back from the dead and on the road!

When you get a minute, you might want to stop by the New Members area and post a formal introduction. The Management sort or requires it.

But as you're here now, Welcome to our Playroom from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 05-21-2022, 10:24 PM

Well, I got there later than I'd hoped and therefore had less time to investigate than I'd hoped, but on it's face it seems a solid car. It's an 85 but has the engine from an 86. Paint is in good shape, blue interior. Last licensed in 2013 and parked in storage since. I would like advice on removing mold from the door panels as it's gotten a good start, and any suggestions for maintaining the leather seats. Anyone care to recommend a leather cleaner and/or conditioner or the like? I'd also appreciate any suggestions on getting her running. Obviously needs a new battery as there's not one in the car. My bigger concern is the tanks and whatever gas is still in them. I'm thinking I can just disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter maybe and empty the 9 year old gas with a separate pump. Anyone see a problem or have a better idea?

Old 05-22-2022, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Pics?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 609 Posts

There is a hole in the bottom of valance under the rear bumper extensions that wrap around the side of the car. If the original plug is in the hole, the valance will most likely need to be taken off as the factory plug is installed from the inside. This hole is the access for the tank drains, remove the small one first to control the fuel flow better and then remove the large plug to check for rust debris and access the pick up filter. You'll get valuable info on the health of the fuel system.

Dave

Old 05-22-2022, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member

I use Simple Green as an overall cleaner for vinyl and body, (but not for the leather). Leaves the paint shiny. Not harsh on vinyl.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:54 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

I've been working on my fuel tanks so maybe my comments might help. Each tank holds 11 gallons and depending on how much gas is in them it is very messy to drain. It is possible to siphon it out through the gas cap but you need a very thin hose. They sell small diameter vinyl tubing the diameter of a pencil. You can use a screwdriver to hold the little flap under the gas cap and then thread the tube down into the tank. Due to the small diameter of the tube it will take hours to siphon out each tank.

The big brass plug on the bottom of the tank is next. A lot of gas will come out very, very quickly so you have to be prepared. Get an disposable aluminum turkey roasting pan for a couple dollars. Definitely be outside and on a concrete surface with the front of the car headed uphill. If there is a rubber plug in the bottom of the fender you can cut it out. Then remove the big brass plug and be ready to jump out of the way because the remaining gas will gush out.

Think it through, be prepared, and stay safe.

Jeff

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I've used simple green before but not on interiors so good idea. I had no idea there were plugs in the tanks. That ought to make things easier! If I cut the rubber fender plugs out can I just order new ones from somewhere, and if so, where?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I suspect you will not find new or even good used plugs.

After consideration and reading of others solution, I decided to leave the opening. In my view, a means of not traping water and debrisl I do not drive in bad weather anyway.

Aye. my tanks were full just before my car had a major break down teh gas was old when ready to go again. I drained the tanks ugh, the big plug came adrift and my prep was not anywhere near enough to capture that much gas, that fast.

Welcome the cars are a life adventure

Carlr

Old 05-22-2022, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stubbornbxstard
Thanks to all who responded. I've used simple green before but not on interiors so good idea. I had no idea there were plugs in the tanks. That ought to make things easier! If I cut the rubber fender plugs out can I just order new ones from somewhere, and if so, where?
I have an alternative to those original plugs.
Visit my website and you will see them.

https://jagupgrades.webstarts.com

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (05-22-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

When I did a lot of work on my XJ6 Series 3 in the late 80s, (new boot floor, rear valance, and quarter panels), I obviously drained and removed the tanks to avoid any risk of fire from welding. As I was replacing the 1/4 panels, I removed them so then it is very easy to drain the tanks using the small plug. Key to this is not to totally remove it, as enough fuel will drain out into your container, and when it's full, you just do up the plug. I had to get several gas storage cans to hold all the fuel. Large Jerry cans are ideal. When I put the tanks back in and then the 1/4 panels back on, I just left the covering plugs off. OK it makes it easy for thieves, but most of them don't even know anything about Jaguars. That car is still running around in the UK somewhere !

Old 05-23-2022, 04:58 PM

Thanks for this idea. I have no idea how much gas is in the tanks, and I was just thinking it would be tedious to have to siphon the fuel using the thin tubing that will fit down the filler neck. With my luck they'll both be full, which will not only be an hours-long job, but will remind me that with prices today that would be $100 US worth of gas. Silver lining, if they're full the tanks won't be corroded. Always look on the bright side as they say. 🤷

Old 05-24-2022, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

OK !!! Gas is now a prize for thieves around here. Gas prices way up!

One Mo is to drill a hole in the tank and catch whatever they can.

So, as my caps are no longer there,should a crook chose my car, he can use the drain and I have no issue with a tan with a hole drilled in it.

but, my car enjys a garage. reasonably safe frm the criooks cordless drill.

Carl

Old 05-24-2022, 01:57 PM

Jose and Frasier Mitchell I'm sorry I thought I'd responded. Thanks for your input. Jose I expect to be ordering from you eventually. Unfortunately the car is stored over an hour away from me, so right now it's a day trip to work on it a few hours. But as they say, slow and steady wins the race.

JagCad they DRILL the tanks?! Am I completely wrong to think that's a high risk of fire or explosion from the heat generated and possibly sparks? The stock Jaguar tanks are steel, right?

Old 05-24-2022, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stubbornbxstard
JagCad they DRILL the tanks?! Am I completely wrong to think that's a high risk of fire or explosion from the heat generated and possibly sparks? The stock Jaguar tanks are steel, right?
I agree. I think Carl is referring to plastic tanks which we don't have, butveven drilling into a plastic tank is an explosion risk. Yes the XJ tanks are Steel. I wouldn't even smoke near the bottom side of those tanks. Fuel Vapors permeate and are explosive.

Leaving that large panel hole open is not a good idea, water, road debris, and insects or rodents will get in and start rotting the quarter panel, rodents like squirrels will chew on the wiring harness that runs and is clipped alongside the bottom half of each tank.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Here in Europe, the thieves go after diesel fuel as it's more expensive than petrol, and also there's less risk of fire. Here we have to be careful whenever a traveller "community" set up camp nearby.