XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

hood liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default hood liner

i have to replace the insulation lining on the inside of my hood. does anyone know where i can get my hands on one or do i just go to the home depot, find some similar material and cut it to size?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Not sure if they still offer it but years ago I bought a beautiful hood liner from Coventry West (800 331 2193). It was black closed-cell foam (or something like that) and fit perfectly. Looked much better than the foil type stuff offered by some of the other vendors.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I don't think you can find a similar material at the Home Depot, but if you do, let us know.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

My liner is also gone. Are they necessary?
RagJag

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
My liner is also gone. Are they necessary?
RagJag
yessss! otherwise your hood paint will start deteriorating and one day you'll have to repaint it.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Default coventry west

has a few

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM

i saw these while i was searching. what do you think of this material compared to the original liner?

i know they are about 7o bucks cheaper than the original

Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

I know Gonzalo, very nice guy, spoken with him about Jaguar hood liners a number of times; He sent me samples of the material.

the problem IMHO is this: the material that Gonzalo sells must be glued to the inside of the hood; the Jaguar factory never glued the hood insulation, it is held by built in side brackets and in the center by round push clips. It is removable/replaceable.

it is the same method done at the factory in my 1965 S type hood, no glue. Removable.

personally I don't want to glue anything to the inside of the hood, not Dynamat, not Road Kill stick-on aluminized stuff, nor Gonzalo's insulation. I discussed this issue with him and he said that the material is not stiff enough to "stay put", it must be glued. Another one bites the dusta.

but if you don't mind applying glue to the inside of the hood, then by all means get Gonzalo's material, but be prepared for a real mess if you try to remove it later; Otherwise the material is fire retardant, (yes I put a lighter to it and it does not burn but it does put out some horrible toxic fumes as you try to burn it, no wonder people get suffocated in airplanes during fires). Funny, they use fire retardant insulation in aircraft but the rest of the materials catch fire easily.

The following users liked this post:
doghead08 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM

great info jose, thanks on that. im going with the original.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by doghead08
great info jose, thanks on that. im going with the original.
you welcome and I agree, the original is the way to go for all the right reasons.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Location: Westland, Michigan but I'm from central New Jersey!
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to bump up an older thread but I MUST.

My liners are in NO WAY toxic. Jose is right, it does not burn with a visible flame but he's wrong in indicating that when burning it puts put toxic fumes. The blend in the material is not toxic either by its' individual components or when combined together, and also not by undergoing a drastic chemical change as when subjected to open flame. Let's get that straight. It's approved for use in aircraft, given a passing rating by the FAA. If it put out toxic fumes it would never have been approved for aircraft/aerospace use.

Yes my liners require to be adhered with a specific adhesive. Once on it's designed to last the rest of the life of the car without deteriorating or failing. << ...but be prepared for a real mess if you try to remove it later >> There is absolutely no need to remove mine once it's installed. It will not get dirty or fall apart like the original ones do.

There is an extra step to removing the hood and then putting the hood back on. Small task when compared to the end result which is superior to the original insulator, plus compared to other in-depth mechanical work such as removing engines, transmissions, engine rebuilding, etc.

You are of course free to purchase the hood bonnet insulation that you want, even if you can locate an OEM version - that's your prerogative. Mine make the most sense because of the material that they're made from, the decal that comes with it, the price, availability, and the fact that mine will far outlast any stock original or OEM insulator. Plus you might have to pay oversized shipping while with mine you won't. I have provided my hoodliners for many, many Jaguar owners since 2007 and all have been satisfied with the outcome. Not only Jaguars, but owners of Corvettes, Mustangs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc - all over the world.

Note to MODS/ADMIN: I am not yet a supporting vendor but I have been a member of this forum for a while. Could someone please contact me about rates for becoming a supporting vendor? I don't want to overstep any boundaries.

Last edited by tbirddmnd; 10-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tbirddmnd:
JimC64 (10-05-2012), Translator (10-06-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I've had gonzo's liner on my xk8 for what...about 30 days short of 2 years. It amazes me how easy it is to remove dirt and dust from it still. No damage due to heat, no pulling up on corners from the adhesive, it still looks as good as it did when I installed it and discussed it in this post. In fact, the entire thread highly encourages the use of his liner from many of our xk8-xkr members.

The bonnet on my xk8 suffered damage in a recent accident, so I am forced to get a new one, and that means I need another liner from Gonzo. Just placed an order today, as a matter of fact. Considering replacing the liner on my SuperV8 also...in due time.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbirddmnd
Sorry to bump up an older thread but I MUST.

My liners are in NO WAY toxic. Jose is right, it does not burn with a visible flame but he's wrong in indicating that when burning it puts put toxic fumes. The blend in the material is not toxic either by its' individual components or when combined together, and also not by undergoing a drastic chemical change as when subjected to open flame. Let's get that straight. It's approved for use in aircraft, given a passing rating by the FAA. If it put out toxic fumes it would never have been approved for aircraft/aerospace use.

Yes my liners require to be adhered with a specific adhesive. Once on it's designed to last the rest of the life of the car without deteriorating or failing. << ...but be prepared for a real mess if you try to remove it later >> There is absolutely no need to remove mine once it's installed. It will not get dirty or fall apart like the original ones do.

There is an extra step to removing the hood and then putting the hood back on. Small task when compared to the end result which is superior to the original insulator, plus compared to other in-depth mechanical work such as removing engines, transmissions, engine rebuilding, etc.

You are of course free to purchase the hood bonnet insulation that you want, even if you can locate an OEM version - that's your prerogative. Mine make the most sense because of the material that they're made from, the decal that comes with it, the price, availability, and the fact that mine will far outlast any stock original or OEM insulator. Plus you might have to pay oversized shipping while with mine you won't. I have provided my hoodliners for many, many Jaguar owners since 2007 and all have been satisfied with the outcome. Not only Jaguars, but owners of Corvettes, Mustangs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc - all over the world.

Note to MODS/ADMIN: I am not yet a supporting vendor but I have been a member of this forum for a while. Could someone please contact me about rates for becoming a supporting vendor? I don't want to overstep any boundaries.

Gonzalo! que pasa bro! Well, I put my cigarette lighter to the material you sent me, it didn't catch fire, but by golly I almost choked on the fumes, horrible unbreathable fumes. (try it). Not that it matters much since Jaguars rarely catch fire! But if a Jaguar does catch fire, the hoodliner will be the least of your worries.

1) the issue with me is gluing anything to the inside of the hood, I no like that. (I won't use Dynamat or Road Kill or similar aluminized stuff for the same reason, it is NOT removable). The Jaguar factory never glued hoodliners to the inner hood, and they did not weld exhaust pipes either, since the 1940's.

2) I have a simple idea to resolve the gluing issue, at least for those who no like glue, I'm sure you could easily incorporate it in your XJ-6 liners if you wanted.

3) I left you TWO messages last year, (dos mensajes), to discuss the idea with you, you never called me back. I gave up.

Otherwise, I don't think the moderators are going to kick you out for advertising your stuff in the forum, everybody is always referring different vendors to new owners.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Hola Jose!

Sorry I didn't see your messages, I have to look at the setting to see if they're being sent to my e-mail. Folks could also call me directly or e-mail!

I do have scraps that I play with from time-to-time by soaking in various underhood fluids found in engines and the material doesn't absorb any of them, plus they clean right off. I have "burned" pieces and I know what you mention, yes it can be rather putrid! If a car catches fire in the engine bay the first thing to do is to abandon the car and of course to not lift your hood! I agree with you about the hoodliner being the least of worries.

There is a guy who owns a Buick Grand National who bought one of my hoodliners about 3 years ago and then bought a 1/8" flat piece of EUCABOARD from the Home Depot. He didn't like the idea of adhering my liner directly to his underhood either! He glued my liner to the eucaboard after he used my liner to outline the perimeter and all the holes. He then used a jigsaw to cut it out, a drill to make the holes and then sanded the holes front and back, then sanded the edges. He then attached that contraption to his underhood with the push pins and to my knowledge it held and is still holding. Of course it has the liner a bit closer to the engine than he would have it if he attached it like I instructed him. It can be done in the same way for the Jags but I don't advise on it. I do provide liners for the Series III as well, it's two pieces: the 45" x 8" cowl section and the larger "trapezoid" section that goes directly over the engine to just forward of the radiator with the sides angling in to the curve below.

Once my liner is attached there really is no reason to have to remove it. The Jaguar factory or any other car factory (except Mercedes) didn't glue their liners either. The reason is because it would mean more time and more work to do it, and they're not into spending that time. There are many car owners however that are tired of that original liner getting dirty and falling apart and are looking for an alternate, viable option, which I can provide. They take the plunge, think outside the box, and end up with an underhood they can be proud of and like to show off. I have heard from owners of other brands who opted for an OEM liner over mine, but then their OEM replacement got dirty and started to tear so they came to me for help. Problem solved!

I would however still like to explore the possibilty of becoming a vendor and officially appearing in the vendor roster! I'm not a huge company (yet) but I'm shooting for it!

Last edited by tbirddmnd; 10-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hola Jose! Sorry I didn't see your messages, I have to look at the setting to see if they're being sent to my e-mail. Folks could also call me directly or e-mail! I do have scraps that I play with from time-to-time by soaking in various underhood fluids found in engines and the material doesn't absorb any of them, plus they clean right off. I have "burned" pieces and I know what you mention, yes it can be rather putrid! If a car catches fire in the engine bay the first thing to do is to abandon the car and of course to not lift your hood! I agree with you about the hoodliner being the least of worries.

There is a guy who owns a Buick Grand National who bought one of my hoodliners about 3 years ago and then bought a 1/8" flat piece of EUCABOARD from the Home Depot. He didn't like the idea of adhering my liner directly to his underhood either! He glued my liner to the eucaboard after he used my liner to outline the perimeter and all the holes. He then used a jigsaw to cut it out, a drill to make the holes and then sanded the holes front and back, then sanded the edges. He then attached that contraption to his underhood with the push pins and to my knowledge it held and is still holding. Of course it has the liner a bit closer to the engine than he would have it if he attached it like I instructed him. It can be done in the same way for the Jags but I don't advise on it. I do provide liners for the Series III as well, it's two pieces: the 45" x 8" cowl section and the larger "trapezoid" section that goes directly over the engine to just forward of the radiator with the sides angling in to the curve below.
Gonzalo, my idea is similar to the guy with the Buick, except using a insulation material which is already available, but I don't know where to get it, I'm sure you do. I can explain what it is when we talk again. It's so simple it's silly.

your material is glued to this backing material I am talking about, and then your material becomes "stiff-flexible", stiff enough to be held in place by the existing brackets in my XJ-6 and my S type without glue, and flexible enough to assume the concave shape of the inner hood.

BTW: your material is very nice looking, would work very well with Jaguars, beats the h*** out of those aluminized stick-on linoleums; The only issue is the gluing, some of us don't like gluing anything.

Another possible benefit of your material which you never mention is sound absorption, it actually quiets down any vibration or resonance in metal panels, (I already tried it).

I'll give you a call ok? I can explain my idea better on the phone.
Ciao!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  19.3 KB

I would however still like to explore the possibilty of becoming a vendor and officially appearing in the vendor roster! I'm not a huge company (yet) but I'm shooting for it!
Pm sent!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

So far I have not seen any mention of price for this liner. I have a 1996 XJS with no liner under the hood. I recently ordered a liner from Auto Parts Warehouse. Sent me the wrong liner and won't pay for shipping it back to them, although I have my chat record with a sales person saying that the one I ordered was the correct number. Needless to say I won't be ordering anything else from that company.

Also where can I get the push fasteners to attach a liner.
RagJag

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM

I've been contacted by both an Admin and the SuperMod so I'm pretty sure I'm not being too forward about discussing my pricing here.

My aircraft firewall material insulation hoodliners with one decal (usually the Jaguar leaper in silver) are priced at $79.99 and Priority Mail shipping in the USA is $13, $23 to Canada, $35 to Europe and most parts of the world. My website is www.hoodliners.net where I do have a few pictures in my Jaguar Gallery as well as other brands and vehicle makes. Please feel free to take a look at any and all the pages I have there. For the Jaguars I can fabricate:

1977 to 1996 Jaguar XJS V-6, V-12
1979 to 1987 Jaguar XJ-6, XJ-12 and Vanden Plas (Series III round headlights - to 1989 in Canada)
1988 to 1994 Jaguar XJ-6, XJ-12 and Vanden Plas (square headlights)
1995 to 2007 Jaguar XJ-6, XJ-8, XJ-12 and Vanden Plas
1997 to 2005 Jaguar XK8/XKR (Supercharged)
2002 to 2008 Jaguar X-Type
2000 to 2008 Jaguar S-Type

I might be able to fabricate liners for the Series I and II XJ, I'm pretty sure that they have the same hood and underhood dimensions as the Series III. I dont have access to a Series I or II so hopefully someone can confirm this for me? There is an image attached of a 1975 XJ-6 underhood and if it's comfirmed that the indicated measurement is indeed 33" tall then I can finally add the Series II to the roster. The same would go for the 2-door XJ-C coupe. My liners for the Series III come in 2 sections: the top cowl part which is 45" x 8" and then the large "trapezoid" section that goes directly over the engine to just forward of the radiator with the sides angling in to the curve below. I indicated this in a post above.

I will be responding to the Admin about possibly working something out so that I can help more Jaguar owners who are frustrated with their underhoods. I have helped a few previously from this forum as evidenced in other threads.

I don't own a Jaguar just yet, however I really like the XJS from 1992 to 1996 (yes I know, it's the Ford re-design), the XK8/XKR models, the X-Type, and the later XJ-8. If I were to own one it would most likely be an XK8 or XKR but it would need to be a hardtop, in maroon/burgundy and with a manual transmission. If my wife were to "hem and haw" then it would need to be an XJ-8 4-door, but would still need to be maroon/burgundy. I'm nowhere near buying a Jag though!

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails hood liner-73-87-xj.jpg   hood liner-73-87-xj-2.jpg   hood liner-75-jag.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RagJag
So far I have not seen any mention of price for this liner. I have a 1996 XJS with no liner under the hood. I recently ordered a liner from Auto Parts Warehouse. Sent me the wrong liner and won't pay for shipping it back to them, although I have my chat record with a sales person saying that the one I ordered was the correct number. Needless to say I won't be ordering anything else from that company. Also where can I get the push fasteners to attach a liner. RagJag
take some sturdy craft paper and cut a template or templates and send it/them to Gonzalo. Better to err on making the template larger than needed, you can always trim the material with a blade and a ruler.

the push fasteners? have you tried a salvage yard or calling the Jaguar dealer?
but if you're gluing your liner, you won't need the push fasteners.

as to APW, file a complaint with their local BBB, they'll either work with you or get blacklisted.

Gonzalo: The Series 1 XJ is a huge, one-piece liner, different from the Series 2 and 3 XJ which are two pieces. What I suggest is that you get templates from somebody and keep them handy.

I have the 2-piece liner from a 1964 S type which will serve as templates, I will send them to you at some point so you can make me a pair of non-glueable liner panels and you can keep the originals.

in the picture below you can see the shape of the hood in my S type, each underhood panel is to each side of the chromed center moulding. (that's me with the back to the camera, sorry!). We were at the top of a parking building and a helicopter was landing...

Attached Thumbnails hood liner-s-type-jose.jpg  

Quick Reply: hood liner