XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

How to Check Tranny Fluid on Series II XJ6? (Pics)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

XJ6Paul wrote:
You can also see the black rubber vent hose just to the left of the ground strap in the first photo. It should connect to a metal
vent line that eventually curves and points down. See part c43731 in the attached photo. A PO could have replaced
it with a plastic hose at some point, but I agree with Doug that the white hose appears to be the a/c condensate drain and it does appear to be hanging too low.

Reply Back: XJ6Paul......I checked the vent hose, and all I have on mine is just a rubber hose coming off the transmission and it winds up and toward the front and then that long white tube is connected to it, and it is hanging down as shown in the picture. Strange. So, you are positive that this rubber line and white tube are supposed to go to the AC condensate to drain the water? Maybe the fly-by-night Tranny Shop who did the rebuild years ago lost the correct Tranny vent tube, and he just yanked down the condensate drain tube and attached it to the tranny????

I just checked again and found the spot where the Condensate Tube comes out of the cab area.....there is a rubber grommet with a smaller rubber hose which has been broken off flush to the face of the grommet. So, it does appear that this white tube was supposed to be connected to the Condensate hose, but somehow found its way to a 3/8" gas line hose going to the Tranny vent. Now, what was that mechanic thinking to do that? At least he did not connect the condensate tube to the tranny vent, allowing all that water to go into the tranny.....what a terrible way to sabatoge a customer's car.

You can see the black 3/8" hose coming off the tranny (left portion of picture), and it goes up and loops down and connects to the whitish/grey tube hanging down with a wider end.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM

Update on "No Reverse":
I adjusted the Band for Reverse (adjuster on the passenger side, LH drive, accessed from the bottom of car...can see in pic above), and this time I dialed the screw all the way in with a bit of a snug on it, and then tightened the large set bolt on it. With the car still up on jack stands, I first checked the tranny oil before cranking up the engine.....it was up past the "Max" mark and up where the flat portion of the dipstick meets the round part with the spring wrapped around it.

So, I started the engine and let warm up a bit and went from Park to Reverse, and only with increasing the RPMs alot did the rear wheels move backwards....for a bit......it was kinda hit n miss. Reverse was erratic and pretty poor. I then put her into Drive, and the wheels spin with no issue, even in idle speed. Tranny worked fine in "2" and "1" also. I then ran the selector through all the gears, and with the engine running I checked the tranny dipstick.......I got no fluid on the dip stick. Measured twice, and both times nothing on the dipstick.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on? Why would the level be so low (non-existant) with the engine running and checking after running the selector through all the gears? If I add more fluid, the "cold" reading is going to be way up in the spring portion of the dipstick.....which is higher than all the other people have mentioned when they check their fluid when cold. Big mystery going on. Also, there are no leaks under the car, and nothing leaking around the tranny pan.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1977JagwireXJ6

Reply Back: XJ6Paul......I checked the vent hose, and all I have on mine is just a rubber hose coming off the transmission and it winds up and toward the front and then that long white tube is connected to it, and it is hanging down as shown in the picture. Strange. So, you are positive that this rubber line and white tube are supposed to go to the AC condensate to drain the water? Maybe the fly-by-night Tranny Shop who did the rebuild years ago lost the correct Tranny vent tube, and he just yanked down the condensate drain tube and attached it to the tranny????

I just checked again and found the spot where the Condensate Tube comes out of the cab area.....there is a rubber grommet with a smaller rubber hose which has been broken off flush to the face of the grommet. So, it does appear that this white tube was supposed to be connected to the Condensate hose, but somehow found its way to a 3/8" gas line hose going to the Tranny vent. Now, what was that mechanic thinking to do that? At least he did not connect the condensate tube to the tranny vent, allowing all that water to go into the tranny.....what a terrible way to sabatoge a customer's car.

You can see the black 3/8" hose coming off the tranny (left portion of picture), and it goes up and loops down and connects to the whitish/grey tube hanging down with a wider end.
That does seem like a bodge by a previous mechanic, but i have no idea why it would be done that way except by complete mistake. The vent line coming off my BW65 trans matched the parts diagram I attached. The rubber hose from the transmission vent is about 4" long and is joined to an aluminum tube that travels straight up then curves back down. As long as the modified vent line you have in place is not blocked and permits air or fluid to vent, I guess it could serve it's purpose. You could leave it alone or you could probably buy the proper vent line from David Boger at everydayxj to correct it, and then return the white/gray hose to its proper place on the condensate line.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:26 AM

XJ6Paul......Yep, I agree......I prefer having the original equipment in place, and not the rubber hose and condensaate drain piece attached to the tranny. What would be the affects if that tube was infact clogged up by a spider nest or muddobber nest? Would that air pressure build-up perhaps cause Reverse to not work? Maybe I better remove that hose and give it a good blow-out with the 125psi air pressure.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1977JagwireXJ6
XJ6Paul......Yep, I agree......I prefer having the original equipment in place, and not the rubber hose and condensaate drain piece attached to the tranny. What would be the affects if that tube was infact clogged up by a spider nest or muddobber nest? Would that air pressure build-up perhaps cause Reverse to not work? Maybe I better remove that hose and give it a good blow-out with the 125psi air pressure.
It would be worth disconnecting the vent line at the trans end and verifying the line is not blocked. I don't know what the effect of a blocked vent line would be. I'd be surprised if it only impacted reverse though. I'm also not sure why you are getting no fluid reading on the dipstick. After you removed some transmission fluid and then ran the engine and moved the trans through all the gears were you getting a proper reading?

When my bw65 began slipping I tried adjusting the bands but never had any improvement. I eventually had to remove it and I had someone rebuild it. Some on the forum have had success using only band adjustments though.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:29 PM

XJ6Paul.......10-4. I took the vent tube off and it was not clogged, but totally wide-open.....no issues with that.

The pics below show where the vent tube attaches (top part of pic). Does anyone know what the cover with the 4 bolts is which is right below the vent tube nipple? It has what appears to be some type of adjusting bolt (with two flat parts and threaded). Is this for some type of adjustment? Seems similar to the two band adjusting screws that I already tackled, but this one is missing the lock nut.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 PM

I found a similar photo of my BW65 and there is no lock nut or anything on that threaded end. I don't recall removing anything from it. I wonder if it was supposed to hold down a hearshield or something.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 PM

XJ6Paul......Good to see our trannies look the same regarding that "adjustment" bolt coming out the side. What is that cover with the 4 bolts that it is attached to? Is there a filter or something under it that should be serviced?

Maybe that stud is for a heat shield as you theorized, but it would be great to hear from some tranny expert to give us the law regarding it. Maybe a port for when they do a real "flush" of the tranny? I dunnno.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 284 Posts

I never saw any resolve on this thread? My BW66 slips every once in a while from 2nd to 3rd. In the above thread someone said the passenger side (US market) band adjuster was for reverse. What is the driver side band andjuster for?