XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

How many lumpers?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 611 Posts

There is a "Market Place" on this Forum where you can post your car.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

"Lump" is a somewhat derogatory term referring to a Jaguar that has the XK engine removed and replaced with a Mercan V8, usually Chevy of some sort.

However, those of us who drive "Lumps" feel this is a term indicating Jealously and we Love ours.

I'm pretty sure there is a required number of posts before one can list things in the Marketplace. Check out Forum Rules to be sure.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-01-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Always curious to know how many "Purists" actually maintain their vehicles or just write checks ?

Old 06-05-2021, 07:12 AM
Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts

If I didn't have so many projects going on at once it would be cool to snag that XJC so I can un-lump it...

My local British car club has about 60 members, a number of which I would term purists; I would estimate less than ten percent actually perform their own work. I've been approached about working on members' cars but I have too many of my own projects on the burner.

The following users liked this post:
Excalibur2012 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by metalbasher
If I didn't have so many projects going on at once it would be cool to snag that XJC so I can un-lump it...
I would watch that thread with Great interest!

My local British car club has about 60 members, a number of which I would term purists; I would estimate less than ten percent actually perform their own work....
My former Jag club (I opted to not re-up this year as it was no longer fun) is also populated by Purists, in fact, Nix was the only converted car among the lot. They accepted us, although I could see it was hard for most, especially the Founders, because they were desperate for new members and we came bearing membership fees.

Few of them do their own work even though there is a Club Shop for any to use at any time. I prefer doing my own work to the extent possible (as I trust very few others to work on my stuff) in my own shop, because then I Know what's been done, how it was done, when it was done, where it was done, with what parts it was done and what's left to be done.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
89 Jacobra (06-05-2021), Doug (06-05-2021), yachtmanbuttson (06-07-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur2012
Always curious to know how many "Purists" actually maintain their vehicles or just write checks ?
Does it matter?

Suppose you're at a Cars-n-Coffee and happen across a really cool old Jag....lumped, original, restomod, whatever....is it any less cool if the owner just wrote checks?

Or maybe it's a cobbled-up mess. Is it suddenly less cobbled if the owner did all the work himself?

What about non-purists who write checks to lump their Jags? If it's a beautifully executed conversion does it matter where the labor came from and how it was paid for? Or should we just admire it for what it is---a beautifully executed conversion?

I really enjoy fixing up old cars but one of my dreams is to someday afford a checkbook build of a project car. Top quality stuff, to my specification, done by experts who know a lot more than I do...and who have much more talent than I do.

Unless I hit the lotto it ain't gonna happen. But, still, it's fun to dream.

Cheers
DD

The following 6 users liked this post by Doug:
89 Jacobra (06-05-2021), Daf11e (06-05-2021), JagCad (06-05-2021), LnrB (06-05-2021), LT1 jaguar (06-05-2021), yachtmanbuttson (06-07-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-2021, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
I would watch that thread with Great interest!

My former Jag club (I opted to not re-up this year as it was no longer fun) is also populated by Purists, in fact, Nix was the only converted car among the lot. They accepted us, although I could see it was hard for most, especially the Founders, because they were desperate for new members and we came bearing membership fees.
I'm club-less at present but have previously belonged to several. Each has a personality, it seems. But I think you'll find that any marque-specific club has a lot of purists. It sorta goes with the territory. Meanwhile, car clubs that are not marque-specific tend to be more open-minded.

Few of them do their own work even though there is a Club Shop for any to use at any time. I prefer doing my own work to the extent possible (as I trust very few others to work on my stuff) in my own shop, because then I Know what's been done, how it was done, when it was done, where it was done, with what parts it was done and what's left to be done.
(';')
I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down, on all points

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
89 Jacobra (06-05-2021), LnrB (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I guess it depends on where you live and what is available! In the UK there is no real long term history of V8's, althogh there are some.Even jaguar inherited the V8 from Daimler in the early 1960's. So lumping is far less common here. Should an engine fail and need to be replaced, it is usual to find an engine similar to the failed unit. In fact with cars of over 40 years of age they are free from road tax and do not need the annual MOT test. There is a big proviso - the vehicle must to very close to the original build specification and NOT be modified. Cleary the result is that few Jaguar/Daimlers are lumped.In my branch of the jaguar enthusiasts club,we have many original old cars and I do not recall a single lumped vehicle, but quite a few that have had an engine change, including my owm series 2 XJ6! Alec G.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I think that as time goes by, even "purists" recognize the option that faces many owners of fine jaguars when they suffer a catastrophic engine. Lump it or junk it ? Both take place. Or some break out the check book with a fat balance and commission a fix. original or conversion.. And, unfortunately, off to the barn to rot or to the "junk yard" .

I recall reading about the term lump. Before the GM to Jaguar issue, merely a term for the engine of whatever specie,

On another forum, a fellow chronicled the removal of the Ford 302 from his E type roadster. A "delump"!!! In with a DOHC. The 302 sold to Mustang owner with a blown engine.

Here in the USA we have been "limping" for decades. Shoe box Fords with Cadillac v8'sor even Chrysler Hemi's Or out with the fussy Lincoln v12in a Continental and in with an Olds or Cadillac V8

Decades ago at a swap meet. An independent jaguar Garage. A former Railway Express box van. No more Ford flat head. In with a Jaguar DOHC 6..

On another forum. Early Jeepster. Out with the Buick V6. lIn with a jaguar DOHC 6...
Nice fit. Looks right

Me. The biggest adventure in auto mechanics of my life. LT1 in my 83 XJ wuzza 6...

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Doug (06-05-2021), LT1 jaguar (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:55 PM
Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Good feedback from everyone !

Old 06-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Does it matter?

Or maybe it's a cobbled-up mess. Is it suddenly less cobbled if the owner did all the work himself?

DD
In my experience owners of running projects are generally looked upon with disdain (more so in the Jag arena than MGs and Triumphs). I think it is less cobbled if DIY in the light that the owner is doing it out of enthusiasm for the marque and the hobby rather than treating the car as nothing more than a potential blue-chip investment or a bragging trophy.

As for writing a check, I'm just getting to the point in my life where I can afford to farm some things out, but... This happened last week: I was closing the workshop late one night and noticed the house's AC condenser fan wasn't running. Said something to the wife about it and she said she'd call a tech the next morning. He told her he'd come that afternoon and guess what? He never showed up; never returned a follow-up call. That next evening I checked it while I still had some daylight; suspected a bad capacitor. Six dollars later I had the unit running. The irony is that contractor would have charged us 150 bucks for the call and my wife would have gladly paid it since she has little tolerance for heat. He has made an enemy for life in my wife..

The point is it's hard to write a check if the only one you can trust is you...

The following 2 users liked this post by metalbasher:
89 Jacobra (06-06-2021), yachtmanbuttson (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by metalbasher
In my experience owners of running projects are generally looked upon with disdain (more so in the Jag arena than MGs and Triumphs). I think it is less cobbled if DIY in the light that the owner is doing it out of enthusiasm for the marque and the hobby rather than treating the car as nothing more than a potential blue-chip investment or a bragging trophy.
I hear ya.

Personally, I have full appreciation for genuine enthusiasm and work-in-process projects. And the various Jag clubs I've belonged to all invited, even encouraged, all owners to bring their cars onto the field no matter the condition....under the idea of the more, the merrier.

But, yeah, there are some snobby types who look down on others and their cars. We've all encountered them. In my experience, they're the exception and not the rule. But we're now talking about personalities, not cars. And there's reverse snobbery as well....where some are quickly dismissive (or worse) of those who have simply "written a check".

It's probably best to delay judgement of a person's personality until we've had a chance to know them. I am 100% certain the at least some of the "checkbook" guys are dedicated enthusiasts. I know this because I've met them.

As for writing a check, I'm just getting to the point in my life where I can afford to farm some things out, but... This happened last week: I was closing the workshop late one night and noticed the house's AC condenser fan wasn't running. Said something to the wife about it and she said she'd call a tech the next morning. He told her he'd come that afternoon and guess what? He never showed up; never returned a follow-up call. That next evening I checked it while I still had some daylight; suspected a bad capacitor. Six dollars later I had the unit running. The irony is that contractor would have charged us 150 bucks for the call and my wife would have gladly paid it since she has little tolerance for heat. He has made an enemy for life in my wife..

The point is it's hard to write a check if the only one you can trust is you...
That's poor service. I've had a lot of problems with poor service from contractors as well. And poor service can drive a person to DIY repairs, as your story illustrates. But discussion of poor service isn't the same as snarky judgements/remarks about different kinds of car enthusiasts....specifically "checkbook" enthusiasts.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-07-2021, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Contractors: Another off topic tale. Read if you wish or just ignore!!!

My former profession was insurance claims. I got a case to investigate. a contractor got a job to insulate a dividing wall between two occupancies to .lessen sound transmission. he chose to blow in what\t amounts to borax treated paper bits. Oddly the wall was open at the top? well, the worker kept pumping til the neighbor howled. fuzz all over his occupancy. I met the contractor there. He warned me that he did not like claim adjusters. Ok, sir, but I do like contractors like you. I make a nice living by fixing the mistakes!!! We got along just fine. The claimant was an artist. Eclectic work. We agreed on the cost to clean up, including the art of great interest was a figure, a life size statue/ Frank Luke. WWI aviator in flight togs. an amazingly small guy. His speialtie was shooting down German balloons... teh artist was surprised that I knew of Lt. Luke!!!

Old 06-08-2021, 04:23 AM
E61
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a lumper. To be specific a 1975 series 2 lumper with a 350 crate in front of a 700R. Normally I would not have bought a Jag in a pink fit but I was looking for a toy. I wanted a hot rod with a SBC, auto, air-con, power steer, Jag suspension and a beautiful body. Well duh! Why not buy a lumped XJ6? After looking at receipts for 62k I thought, 'what could possibly go wrong?' When I bought it the thing had a 307 with only 4000 klm. I wasn't happy with it so I gave it a 350 and rebuilt the 700R.

It does now drive superbly but I'm currently working through the appalling quality control, 1950's ergonomics and the shambolic Lucas electrics. At the moment it's definitely a love/hate thing, mainly hate but it's just so gorgeous to look at and owes me such an obscene amount of money I'll never be able to sell it.

So there ya go. Pics coming if anyone's interested.

The following 3 users liked this post by E61:
JagCad (06-08-2021), LnrB (06-08-2021), LT1 jaguar (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yes! That Love/Hate thing. I'm going out on a limb here to say we ALL have that relationship with our Jags at one time or another.

There have been times, Recently in fact, I threatened to stuff rags in the gas tanks and LIGHT THEM OFF I was so ticked at the car.

But that isn't today. Today all is sweetness and light.

When you get a moment, stop by the New Members section and post an introduction.
Welcome to our playroom from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 12-22-2021, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Although I've got used to the term, "Lump" was first put to me as a Derogatory reference to a Chevy engine grafted into a Jaguar drive train, thus 'defiling the purity of the breed.' Others don't seem to mind though.
I prefer Chevy V8 Conversion personally, and wear it proudly, but that's just me, and I'll answer to 'Lumper.'

Mine is an old style, carburetor fitted 350/700R4.
Edit:

(';')
For me I prefer restomod and do not like the term "Lump" as to me it is often Jag purists whom use that term. This is my first Jag and what I have experienced is this brand is full of more stuck up people whom are really against any modifications even on cars that are not theirs.

My car is a 1963 Jaguar 3.8s with an LS1. In end of January I will be posting a number of new pics, etc. as I am doing a refresh as I daily drive my car and put more than most I have seen on the forums, about 40,000 a year. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...st-done-73952/

The following 2 users liked this post by primaz:
E61 (12-22-2021), LnrB (12-23-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 09:44 PM
E61
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds great. My Xj6 is soon to get a 383 stroker which will be it's third Chevy engine. My only concern is by the time I get the damn thing back on the road everything will be electric. I made enquiries here about making it an EV but at a cost of nearly 90k I may as well buy a Tesla and be done with it.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Mine is happily converted to a Chevrolet, has JAGRLET for the plates. Runs reliably and is very comfortable since I put in the PT Cruiser front seats. Latest change is adding the cup holder(s) and next is Ididiit steering column with Cruise Control and Tilt

Did you have to do much surgery to get the PT Cruiser seats in? How is headroom after install?

Old 12-23-2021, 03:48 AM
Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I missed this topic somehow, but I have some Lumpers.

It started with my Jaguar xj6 series 1. I replaced the broken XK with an AJ6 engine,and after some life changing events (house kids etc) this is now our daily driver for over a year already. Never let us down.

After this, I got excited about the hole engine conversion thing, and swapped the aircooled 1.6 boxer in my VW baywindow with a 1.9 TDI engine.
After 7 years, I got bored of the 1.9 TDI, and took it out again and now there is a 2.0 liter Subaru Boxer engine in my baywindow

And just a few weeks ago, I started the conversion of my VW LT camper. Originally it had a 2.7 liter, 4 cilinder diesel engine. Lots of torque but lots of noise and SLOW! It will recieve a 4.0 liter aj6 engine, including the automatic transmission.

This is the TDI in the vw BAywindow:
How many lumpers?????-uqkfkim.jpg

Subaru in Baywindow:
How many lumpers?????-4tuw21w.jpg

The AJ6 in my serries 1 has a thread of its own (Series 1 xj6 with aj6)

The AJ6 engine swap is very easy. There is a few more wires than with a carburettor engine, but especially the models up to 1992 are just easy as far as wiring goes. The engine loom remains basically untouched, all you need is a 12v feed, two switched wires (ignition on, starter) and a ground. That's all it takes to my it run on its own, outside the car.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by primaz
For me I prefer restomod and do not like the term "Lump" as to me it is often Jag purists whom use that term. This is my first Jag and what I have experienced is this brand is full of more stuck up people whom are really against any modifications even on cars that are not theirs....
Not so much on Jaguarforums.com, as most members here, at least in my experience, are pretty much, "It's your car and you can do what you want to it."

I have been in other Jag forums that are Not friendly to the idea of modification or conversions (or indeed women twirling wrenches, yes even in 21st century!). We have had a few of those people here, but they mostly don't stay very long as The Management seeks to run a Friendly House.

EDIT:
I just wandered over to look at your S-type project, Wonderful work on a Beautiful example!
I'd drive that!
/EDIT
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 12-23-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: How many lumpers?????