XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Ignition Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ignition Repair

Ill be getting my xj6 back tomorrow. Im dropping close to a grand. We replaced the ignition with a new one but i was told he somehow saved my keys..ill kno more tomoro when i speak with him.

I had him replace any wires from the relay, battery or coil etc that were splitting or ripping apart. He replaced my battary cables and installed the jetliner hood liner i purchased from Jose's buddy in Michigan i think. He also had to fix the strip of metal on the inside of my hood b/c it broke off in a few spots.

I took a major beating in atlantic city this past weekend so im going to have to wait on new tires which i will have installed on a set of pepperpot wheels. Ill offer him the 3 good wire wheels i have in exchange for the pepperpots.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM

got the ignition switch replace d and it still wont start. Amazing it started b4 i left the shop but wouldnt start when i tried this mornin

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,878 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by doghead08
Ill be getting my xj6 back tomorrow. Im dropping close to a grand. We replaced the ignition with a new one but i was told he somehow saved my keys..ill kno more tomoro when i speak with him.

The ignition switch....the actual electrical part ....is attached to the lock cylinder and is replaced separately. No need to replace both the lock and the switch together. Thus keeping the same keys.

Ill offer him the 3 good wire wheels i have in exchange for the pepperpots.

If he says "yes" then you're one helluva salesman or he has no idea what he has :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

got the ignition switch replace d and it still wont start. Amazing it started b4 i left the shop but wouldnt start when i tried this mornin

Frustrating but not amazing. Welcome to the world of 25-30 year old cars :-)

There are umpteen possibilities here.

Assuming the engine cranks.......

ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T START

If the engine doesn't crank.....

Engine Will Not Crank Checklist

Cheers
DD

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM

he knows what he has...he wont take the wires and set his price at $500 for the set.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM

youre right on doug, he did save my keys and only had to replave the back part of the ignition.

after work he told me to remove 2 wires from the relay..do something with a paperclip and touch the wire, i think from the relay to the battery terminal to see if it cranks.

ill call him to walk me through it when i get home.

this totally sucks b/c i brought the car there to get this issue fixed. now i cant even start it to get it back there.

i have a feeling (not a good one) the issue is what doug mentioned in earlier posts...the wires going to the starter itself. i dont think he got the car on the boom and checked those.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,444 Likes on 1,839 Posts

he knows what he has...he wont take the wires and set his price at $500 for the set.
pass on them, they're not worth $500., not even $300.

$280.00 max assuming they have the hubcap/covers.

keep looking, you'll find a set.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

im with you jose. im not droppin 500 on them especially since i have more pressing issues like getting this car to start

Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

im with you jose. im not droppin 500 on them especially since i have more pressing issues like getting this car to start
I'm stumped, I'm seeing an epidemic of no-start XJ here in this forum that even Doug can't fix.

I don't get it. Just for the record, mine starts, I started it this morning, it was freezing in Florida, but it started. (to be specific, I exercised the fuel pump in 1st gear changing tanks as I cranked the ignition switch before starting it in Park). I let it run for 15 minutes, all fine. in over 22 years of ownership of this car, I have NEVER had to replace the fuel pump or any relay for that matter. (only the Bosch Cold Start Injector once, and the symptom was obvious, the CSI was leaking through the body, I could see and smell the problem).

could the no-start common denominator be the gasoline? I heard that gasoline companies changed to "Winter Formula" back in October. "Winter formula" ? I never heard of that before. Something new to deal with?

my point is: what is stopping these XJ from starting? can't be that all of a sudden a bunch of Start Relays or Injector Packs went bad.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM

ill find out at somepoint my friend. i am so frustrated that my guy (jag expert), who claimed it had to be my ignition ( because i messed with it) was wrong.

ive had both tanks filled with super. it has to be an electric issue b/c mine wont even crank. just a wimpy click

Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wimpy click and no crank? Jump battery + direct to the small spade on the starter.
That shopuld make the starter crank the engine as it bypasses the ignition switch, the wires and the starter relay. But, unless the key is ion run, it will merely crank, but not run. Twofold, emergency start and diagnostic as to what is wrong. Sticky relays is
amongst the suspects. However, I have often found that cleaning the bttery cables at both ends is a fix. There is a ground braid on the right side of the transmission. It's connection as weel as the strap must be good or all manner of weird electrical things happen.

Take a look at XJS lattice wheels. I have a pristine set courtesy of a Jag lover. They really enhance my XJ wuzza six.

The following users liked this post:
doghead08 (12-01-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
I'm stumped, I'm seeing an epidemic of no-start XJ here in this forum that even Doug can't fix.

Not over the internet, at least :-)

could the no-start common denominator be the gasoline?

Yeah, if it's stale and/or full of water!

I heard that gasoline companies changed to "Winter Formula" back in October. "Winter formula" ? I never heard of that before. Something new to deal with?

Been around for ages up here. I think it's a regional thing. Won't cause a "no start", though

my point is: what is stopping these XJ from starting? can't be that all of a sudden a bunch of Start Relays or Injector Packs went bad.

My guess? Fewer and fewer in daily use and more and more in storage and/or being purchased after 2-3-4 years of sitting behind the barn. Jags seem to especially dislike lack-of-use. More so than other cars, it seems. Lots of deterioration takes place: corroded electrics, rusty fuel tanks, etc

Cheers
DD

doghead08 (12-01-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

ill find out at somepoint my friend. i am so frustrated that my guy (jag expert), who claimed it had to be my ignition (because i messed with it) was wrong.

ive had both tanks filled with super. it has to be an electric issue b/c mine wont even crank. just a wimpy click
the ignition SWITCH? if it won't even crank, it sounds like the ignition switch, a known issue after years of cranking and use. Try to hot-start it like JagCad says.

doghead08 (12-01-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

the transmission-to-chassis ground strap:

(passenger side, below passenger floor area , where the transmission housing joins the engine);

remove the strap at both ends, take a drill with a stainless steel brush thingy and clean both contact points shiny, take the drill with the thingy under the car and clean the chassis contact point and the bolt hole, same at the transmission housing. not that it will make the car start, but it will keep you busy-happy for 1 hour.

doghead08 (12-01-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

@ jose. i just had the ignition switch replaced. ill post up later on when after i get out of work and get my hands on this thing

Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

@ jose. i just had the ignition switch replaced. ill post up later on when after i get out of work and get my hands on this thing

Joses'e suggestion about the ground step is a very good place to "start" (sorry)

If no help, read the check list linked in one of my postings above

Cheers
DD

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM

I took the power wire that connects to the relay and touched the power terminal on the battery. Engine started to crank. i connected the wire back to the relay and it started right up when i turned the key. Is there a reason why that happened?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Or pure luck that it started

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

I took the power wire that connects to the relay and touched the power terminal on the battery. Engine started to crank. i connected the wire back to the relay and it started right up when i turned the key. Is there a reason why that happened?

Could be the relay is starting to fail. They can be opened up to clean the cotnacts. That often does the trick. Make notes of were the wires go :-)

Could be a poor connection almost anywhere in the circuit. Just gotta dig in and begin cleaning and tightening.

Could be the nuetral safety switch is out of adjustment or failing

Could be the starter itself has a dead spot

Don't replace anything until you've gone thru the clean-all-the-grounds-and-connections drill.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Joses'e suggestion about the ground step is a very good place to "start" (sorry) Cheers DD
no pun intended of course....

Quick Reply: Ignition Repair