XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Interior Light Not Working - XJ6 series 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Light Not Working - XJ6 series 2

Hello,

The interior lights that I located on the pillar of my jag the driver's side works but the passenger side doesn't. I have replaced the light bulb and the fuses that were there and it's still not working, I have also tried getting a multimeter to it and I can't get any readings.

I'm thinking it's a ground issue but I'm not too sure where to start as I don't want to start pulling things apart that I don't need to.

Any help would great!!

Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,440 Likes on 5,458 Posts

Check if the bulb holders actually connect to the wires.

One of my pillar lights didn't work when I got the car, so I went exploring to see why.
Both lenses were crazed cracked, one shattered when touched, scattering plastic shards all over the leather seat (lotsa fun getting them out of crevices without cutting leather).

I discovered the fixtures had got so hot (cheapest fixtures I ever saw) that both power and ground wires, riveted sandwich with plastic between, no longer made contact with the fixture itself. In fact, the plastic has Melted from the heat of the festoons!

Wires are inside the pillar itself, bullet connectors, made to be undone. Then you can get a new pair from everydayXJ.com. David Bodger has good stuff.

This post contains a couple mods I made in the pillar lights to make sure this doesn't happen again.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1569667

I *Highly* recommend Jose's switch mod if you Ever need to have the door open while working inside. It saves both your blub life and the lenses.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
adenshillito (02-26-2024), Jose (04-17-2018), Mearsy101 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
I *Highly* recommend Jose's switch mod if you Ever need to have the door open while working inside. It saves both your blub life and the lenses.
(';')
cheap too!, I've only used 4 quarter coins.

also the lenses are being reproduced in Australia, new.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (04-17-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mearsy101
Hello,

The interior lights that I located on the pillar of my jag the driver's side works but the passenger side doesn't. I have replaced the light bulb and the fuses that were there and it's still not working, I have also tried getting a multimeter to it and I can't get any readings.

I'm thinking it's a ground issue but I'm not too sure where to start as I don't want to start pulling things apart that I don't need to.

Any help would great!!
I have exactly the same problem. No power at the wire on the drivers side. Did you find a cause? My left hand side has power as does the map light. Where is the connection where the map light wire departs from the interior light circuit? Everything else on the circuit works (clock etc). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

could be the Door Jamb Switch. I have had the same problem and substituting the door switch resolved it. You can check by opening the driver's side doors and if the light comes on, then remove any of the two driver's side switches and transferring one to the passenger side.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leon57
I have exactly the same problem. No power at the wire on the drivers side. Did you find a cause? My left hand side has power as does the map light. Where is the connection where the map light wire departs from the interior light circuit? Everything else on the circuit works (clock etc). Thanks for any help you can provide.
I did end up finding a fix I ended up getting a circuit tester and found the power was going to the right area. But the connector (positive cable to light bulb) was not receiving any power (I believe melted plastic was the issue) so I ended up removing the old connector and soldered in a new connector. Now power was going to the light but was not glowing I followed the ground cable to the rear passenger door switch. I noticed that the plate was not making good connection and was loose, I just tightened it up and everything now works.

I hope this helps and don't have to spend time pulling stuff apart to find where cables go. 🙂

Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jose
could be the Door Jamb Switch. I have had the same problem and substituting the door switch resolved it. You can check by opening the driver's side doors and if the light comes on, then remove any of the two driver's side switches and transferring one to the passenger side.
Thank you for the suggestion but I checked the door jamb switches and the front ones work fine although the back ones don't earth out at all.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:51 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mearsy101
I did end up finding a fix I ended up getting a circuit tester and found the power was going to the right area. But the connector (positive cable to light bulb) was not receiving any power (I believe melted plastic was the issue) so I ended up removing the old connector and soldered in a new connector. Now power was going to the light but was not glowing I followed the ground cable to the rear passenger door switch. I noticed that the plate was not making good connection and was loose, I just tightened it up and everything now works.

I hope this helps and don't have to spend time pulling stuff apart to find where cables go. 🙂
Thanks for the feedback. I took the LHS light fitting out and connected a piece of wire to the two connectors. I now have power on the earth side of the RHS fitting but no current on the power side. I've removed the door switches and the dash switch I swapped with the map switch.With the dash switch off I have a weak current to the RHS earth wire and with the switch on it becomes a strong current. I guess that is to be expected once the LHS light is given an earth and I then ground the RHS earth side. Current is supposed to travel through the lights before being earthed out by the various switches.
I'll keep scratching around, I'm determined to solve it but electrics continue to be a dark science mostly beyond my abilities.
Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

download the S57 wiring guide if you don't already have it. It is in the HOW TO QUICK LINKS sticky at the top of the threads page.

Leon57 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jose
download the S57 wiring guide if you don't already have it. It is in the HOW TO QUICK LINKS sticky at the top of the threads page.
Thanks for that but I have a Series 11 Workshop manual with diagrams. Thinking I might run a wire from the No.3 fuse to the purple hot wire if I can track it from the RHS interior light.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

the wire harness is located under the door sill plate. Remove the sill plate .

Leon57 (06-11-2018)