XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Jaguar XJ6 fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Sayles
Does anyone have any thoughts on my two loose wires? Can anyone with a sIII 3.4 have all look in your engine bay and give me a clue?

I would like to sort this little issue out before going further with the fuel supply problem in case rectifying the loose wires cures the problem , but I don't just want to connect them in case that causes further problems!!

Any help would be welcome because I do not have access to a readable wiring diagram to give me a pointer.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Did you resolve this issue?

Judging by the photos posted about the oil pressure switch etc. I feel you may have been on the wrong track. There is an oil pressure switch on my 3.4, but it is close to the bellhousing with a green/yellow wire.

However, you have probably fixed it or sold it!

Old 04-22-2021, 03:16 AM

Thank you for the update - no, I never worked out what the two wires were for - they may of course have been for a different application not relevant to my car.

An issue I do have however, is that during long periods of little or no use ( shame) , the fuel seems to drain out of the pipes and back into the tanks thereby making start up a bit of a drain on the battery.

Does anyone know if the 3.4 had non-return valves in the fuel pipework ? If so, where are they and can they be cleaned or replaced??

Tom

Old 04-22-2021, 05:14 AM
Received 10,540 Likes on 6,961 Posts

No idea on the S3 carby cars.

The S2 had that if left for too long, NOT drain back as such, evaporation out of the carbies.

That is why we earthed that relay, then as soon as the Ign was ON, the relay clicked, the pumps ran, filled the carbies with fuel, the beast was alive.

Without that earthing by-pass, the engine needed to be cranked, oil pressure operated that switch, the relay clicked, etc etc.

These cars were never built to be idle that long.

My older carby cars, MK10, S type, etc, that went into part time mode as the Series cars invaded, were good for a month or so with fuel still being in the carby bowls high enough to start the thing. Any longer, and priming was needed. These cars DID NOT have that relay nonsense, turn ON the key, the pump clunked away in the boot, and when the clucking stopped, or slowed, push the start button. SIMPLE.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-22-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Sayles
Thank you for the update - no, I never worked out what the two wires were for - they may of course have been for a different application not relevant to my car.

An issue I do have however, is that during long periods of little or no use ( shame) , the fuel seems to drain out of the pipes and back into the tanks thereby making start up a bit of a drain on the battery.

Does anyone know if the 3.4 had non-return valves in the fuel pipework ? If so, where are they and can they be cleaned or replaced??

Tom
Hi Tom,

Non return valve in the pipework to the pumps which are submerged in the fuel tanks, one each side. Accesible from the plate which is between the rear wheel and on the rear of the wheelarch. (i.e. between the wheel and the tank).

Presume yours is the same as my 1981 3.4. Haynes manual explains. Careful, they need to be in the right way.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ashkan Zandiyeh
Hi welcome

the oil pressure must be 80 psi.
its not your relay, could be the ignition switch( it’s a common issue, and watch out they are hard to find and, very expensive)
can you explain more about the issue please?
Sorry about this but I think you have a typo. The oil pressure needs to be 8 psi.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:16 PM
Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Non runner!

Originally Posted by Ashkan Zandieh
I have another issue when I fire the car, it starts but once I release my hand from the key it goes off
I'm not sure whats the problem with it. it might be the carburetor, it is sometimes licking fuel from under it
do you have any idea?
it the ignition switch? which is very expensive
I had a series 2 with that problem! It turned out to be a defective ballast resistor!

Old 04-28-2021, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

that sounds more like a bad ignition SWITCH.