XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Just C00.L It!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015 | 08:40 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
They are functional inlets... I just acquired a S2 radiator support to be able to duplicate the two air inlets... the cold air comes in through the grill like in the next photo of the my old '72 Jag with the cold air kit on the LT1.. I have seen drastically lower air inlet temps on that type of cold air kit...

It will increase HP by a considerable amount while moving... "free" HP after the initial investment of the air cleaner and related tubing... no maintenance
other than servicing the internal air cleaner at times...
I'm sorry I misunderstood, Roger, it's just that the car was RHD so I thought you found the picture somewhere.
Thank you for the correction.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 07-03-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2015 | 02:54 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Transmission Oil Cooler

Husband found this lying on the ground in the wrecking yard. It looks as if someone went to the trouble of removing it and then changed their mind. It's Perfect for our purposes so he brought it home.

There wasn't even a lot of dirt in those hoses! It smelled like trans fluid, not burned or anything weird. The fins were a little dinged up but I used the fin comb and got them straightened up. Notice it even still has its mounting pads to cushion the host core.

We don't know this core's history or pedigree except that it's an aftermarket oil cooler so husband thought we should fill it with lacquer thinner a couple times. How to do that?

He went to the Gourmet Cooking Store and got a set of Stainless Steel Funnels.

One of then was the perfect size to fit the hose.

After I filled the core with lacquer thinner I sloshed it all around, put the air nozzle on one hose and blew all the stuff out. Now we knew it was clean enough for Nix's transmission.

To attach this cooler to the front of the car I picked up a kit from O'Reiley's made specifically for this.

It contains 4 of these thin probes, sort of like round zip ties. They're thin enough to go between many rows of tubes and fins but Very strong.

I found it helpful to sort of blaze a path for these with a Very fine pick, being careful not to nick any tubes. Then the ties went right in, following the hole I had made.

You want to be pretty sure where you want to mount the auxiliary cooler, because once you put the locking buttons on the ties there's no going back unless you cut them, and the way they're made that will be hard.

The 'line map' for the GM 700R4: There are 2 oil fittings on the right side of the transmission, the bottom one is the "out" line.

Husband ran this line to the cooler first and then back through the radiator oil tank and back to the transmission, to first cool the oil and then warm it up again. This is because they work best warm but not hot.

It's finally finished!
(';')

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015 | 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Great find, A supplemental transmission oil cooler. Appears to be a decent brand. Removed and forgotten or unwanted, so who knows, but so what.

There is a before/after controversy. I added them to two past critters. In each case, my son differed with my routing. They worked, I guess?

I did use two clamps on each hose. An old practice that I follow at times. Those worm drive clamps have a teeny no clamp point. Installing the so the screw is opposit the other covers each weak point.

Neat funnels. Pricey at a cook store, huh. Repurpose to the kitchen or remain as shop stuff? No cheapo plastic funnels. In my "'greasy" box, I have a long one designed to add trans fluid to the skinny pipe. But, if it works, that is the idea of all of it.

Nice work.

Carl

Old 07-05-2015 | 11:05 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
I imagine the oil route might depend on one's local climate. Even in this area the car (when running) is operated in some pretty cold temperatures.

If the oil went through the cooler last just before returning to the transmission it might be too cold for proper operation. Even this way I can see how the engine needs to be warm and the thermostat open for any warming to happen.

If one lived where it never got cold, then probably one could have the cooler last such as ronbros has his XJS set up, shown earlier in this thread. One thing I have learned, ya can't argue with success - especially long term success.

I didn't get a picture of the barbs on that cooler but they're Aggressive! They were so sharp in fact, that husband dulled them a bit before installation.

The pressure line hose to the radiator had been cut through by a narrow, gas line type clamp on a sharp brass barb and was leaking, which I found when I took the rad out. I didn't like finding that! That's why these clamps are so wide, to make a good seal but don't need to be so tight as to cut the hoses again. There's little real pressure on these anyway so it should be OK. I'll know for sure after a couple thousand miles.
(';')

Old 08-14-2015 | 05:45 PM
|
Veteran Member

The last long trip we took with Nix, I got behind a truck load of rice straw bales, which bales were shedding badly. I stayed back several hundred feet and thought surely that must be far enough to avoid picking up straw in the AC condenser, and besides I had a screen in front of it so I thought I was safe.

No!! The straw was sucked Around the condenser into the radiator from the sides!

While I had the front of the car apart for other things (front suspension) it seemed a good idea to have the radiator cleaned and refurbished too. Besides, there was no way to get the straw, bees, feathers and grass seed out of the radiator while it was in place as the space between the radiator and condenser was Far too narrow.

The front of the car is reassembled now, and everything seems to work. The very last thing to do before the hood goes back on was to fit a screen, wrapping it around the radiator/condenser/cooler on all 4 sides. The screen comes in rolls, is intended as replacement for screen doors and such. It's readily available at Lowe's, Home Depot or any hardware store.

Finished cut dimensions (before folding edges) 44 inches wide, 22 inches high.

After cutting the screen to these dimensions I made 2, 1/2 inch folds on each edge (except for the top where I used the factory finished edge), making the finished dimensions, 21 inches by 43 inches. These may seem odd, but it's what fit.

I wrapped the screen around the radiator/condenser from side to side and top to bottom. On the bottom it's stuffed between the radiator support and cross member as far as I could get it. It's only attached with zip ties in 4 places at the top. On the sides it's held between hoses and support structures.

Any grass seeds, hay or bird feathers or bees will have a Really hard time getting past this screen and into Any of the cores.

This finishes up "Just COOL It!"
(';')

Old 08-15-2015 | 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Default Another way to mount the trans cooler

Just out of aluminum and welded together - looks good as well. Gave me a spot to attach the trans cooler solidly. Been there for several year now with no problems

Will have to make another one for the dual air intakes as the top piece is not as tall as it could have been. Note the very large AC condenser that helps to
cool the car down very well. Sides of the radiator and all other openings are now sealed up so all incoming air has to go through the radiator and condenser.

Attached Thumbnails Just C00.L It!!-ac-condenser-drier-trans-cooler-before-hood-.jpg   Just C00.L It!!-radiator-support.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 08-15-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2015 | 09:41 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thank you, Roger,
If I'd had to make my own radiator mount I could have done that. As it was, the cooler has no provision for hanging like yours does. This cooler was intended to be staked to a core and has no other mounting options.

I've been thinking how to 'seal up' the gaps between the rad and supports on the sides, but I haven't come up with anything that seems prudent. Husband wants to fill it with spray foam but I don't like the permanence of that, nor having to cut the hoses out next time (there Will be a next time) the radiator needs to come out for whatever reason. I'll keep thinking about it though, and eventually, while I'm doing some mindless task like raking leaves, it will come to me in a blinding flash of insight and I'll have it done in a short time.
(';')

Old 08-16-2015 | 07:52 AM

Either some fire retardant foam/ sponge cut to shape, or the spray foam. Spray into a plastic bag in position so it forms but can be removed. You will probably have to temporarily ad some bits of packing to keep the foam/ bag in shape.

You could take the mesh out, lay it on the floor with some suitable wooden bits as a frame and do the squirty foam in bag trick there. Be easier to trim with a bread knife or saw to fit the space and be easier to remove.

Old 08-16-2015 | 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Default Hard AC foam from Lowes - just cut it and stuff it

I used metal pieces I bent to fit - bolted on the sides on the '72 and AC foam pieces 2X2 inches or so to stuff in the top gap and anywhere else. The foam cuts easily and can be put anywhere and then removed if needed.

Just foam was used on the '71 as the radiator fit was tighter to start with due different parts being used at different times/years... both radiators fit the stock Jag hole well.. dual electric fans used on both cars. No trans cooler was used on this 700R and have had no problems. It is all stock Camaro stuff, radiator, fans and AC condenser that all slip together - dual fan shroud has rubber louvers that open at speed. Cool air intake brings in ambient air and really cools - difference in moving or stopped can be as much as 45F at times. FREE HP! That is just a S2 radiator support with the hole cut into it for the filter housing.

Attached Thumbnails Just C00.L It!!-side-covers-redirect-air.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 08-16-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2015 | 09:50 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys!
Both these suggestions give me food for thought!
(';')

Old 08-16-2015 | 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Huh, the big four row brass radiator take up all the space in my car. No gaps to fill at all. But, if I did, I would cut out rubber to jam into the gaps. My son gave me a
roll of a grey material with bumps. Spongy rubber. I cut out pieces to line the hatch in my Jeep and the boot n my Jaguar. Protection for the carpet in each.

I have a 4" step in my shop That I move around to better access stuff on my bench.
Son and I built it when he still lived here. Trouble is that I am just shy of 6'0" and he is 6'5" !!! Somehow it got sized to him!!! Good luck to the next occupants. Naah, as many of the older hoes around here, it will be gutted and a monster will replace it.

I like the "bug catcher" concept.

Carl

Old 08-16-2015 | 09:53 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl, I'll look into that material.

Where I grew up, Every car, truck and pickup and bus had a bug screen across the radiator. At certain times of the year, grasshoppers are so thick they completely plug an unprotected radiator. Unsuspecting tourists got caught unawares frequently.

I especially liked the feathers that had got through the condenser and, into the radiator! Even with this screen, air flow can't possibly be hampered as much as it was with all that trash in Both cores; bee carcasses (hundreds of them), dragonfly wings, butterfly wings, and as mentioned, Feathers, not to mention the Straw!

Old 08-17-2015 | 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Now, I recall. it is intended as a pad for folks that work at a bench on their feet. a cushion for hard concrete. Autozone and HF are his favorite shopping places. it probably came from there

I am going to use some chunks of it to pad the feet of my kitchen cabinet discard turned office table and cabinet.

I am very familiar with bug harvesting from my days in West Texas and CA's Imperial Valley. Coca Cola was touted as a bug remover from vehicle front sides and windshields!!!

Side bar: The CVC makes it illegal for trucks to spill any cargo except plain water and chicken feathers. Recently ugraded to make dirt haulers tarp their loads. some fussed, but they did it.

In my former profession an issue. Did the rock come from the road or from the load that busted the windshield. Trucker not liable in the former, but is in the latter.
Didn't make sense to me.

But, as you said, "tis not for me to reason, why, but to do". Gungha Did, I think!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-17-2015)