XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Is it just me???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,086 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Is it just me???

Or is anyone else nervous driving after a ride home on flat bed? I knew for a fact i had resolved the issue (see fuel pump question thread), yet still a bit gun shy merging into traffic etc!!! Its just a horrible feeling pushing down on the go pedal and nothing happening!!!

Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not one bit. AKA angst. But, most of us overcome it. Just "baby step" a bit

And work up to "jump in and go" state...

I'm on my way...

Or; When the horse throws you, climb right back on".

Done that literaly and figuratively!!!

Carl.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

My Ford work truck has been randomly stalling and not restarting lately. Been on a tow truck 2x in the last month. My Honda has been overheating....but only on occasion. My Jag will stall from time-to-time for no readily apparent reason....although always restarts easily, thank god.

I'm a little nervous no matter what i drive these days !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

not me, I drive a Ford van daily and it always starts, though I hate Ford air conditioners, it has been reliable.

the Jags too.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

For a while I felt like that because Nix would just STOP with No Warning!
First time was sort of out in the woods, but Flat Bed found us OK. I found the problem and fixed it *I Thought.* (that sucky Chevy HEI distributor cap arrangement, coil came loose)

Sometime later, same thing happened again! This time I was able to limp off the main road to a small side area, still in plain view, so Flat Bed easily found us again. Replaced another cap/coil combo.

About 3 months after that, we had to get a ride yet again!! By now I'm on first name basis with the driver and I can just hear everyone driving by thinking, "Jag! What a piece of junk!"

That time I was determined this Not happen again. The problem is, the screws provided to secure the coil into the cap are too short by about 2 threads, so they merely break out the holes with heat and engine vibration, coil looses ground, engine stops dead.

So I found some screws 2 threads longer, tightened them properly and haven't had a problem in over a year.

By now, after all the work and parts we've put into that car, it's as reliable as the 2009 Sonata and I jump in to go somewhere with about as much though of something will go wrong.

If you're sure you fixed it, just drive the thing! Worry takes all the fun out life; there's Quite enough unfun things these days to let something like this bother you.
(';')

Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

If you're sure you fixed it, just drive the thing! Worry takes all the fun out life; there's Quite enough unfun things these days to let something like this bother you.
(';')
Amen.

As a notorious worrier I can attest that 'worry' is a largely useless emotion.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-22-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Trust is a big issue. I would do some shake down running close to home in less stressful circumstances. After that just do it!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Mine failed to proceed today, and started again an hour later. I will do some investigating over the next couple of days.
But it won't stop me driving it, and I won't be nervous driving it. I know it is an old car with a lot of old wiring issues etc that may stop it at any time. You just deal with those situations as they come along.
At least this time it didn't catch fire and arrive home on a flatbed.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Doug;

1. I can only remember the first part of an of "saw". "Ain't no use worrying.....". The rest is pessimistic. So, why?

2. I've gotten better at the worry avoidance thing. Over the years, I've realized that the "worry mountain" is much less than it seemed to be once confronted.

3. The Ford ignition module is much like the V12 unit It lives in the "V".
Pulling the distributor to swap it out involves other access restrictions. I've forgotten them. But, doable....

Relocation not so easy.

My 85 Ford had its only trip on a flat bed, because of a failed module...

Carl