XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Kero for Kleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 11:32 AM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Question Kero for Kleaning?

OK collective Jag Wisdom, any critical or show-stopping problem using kerosene (paraffin) as a fuel system flush?
I know most usually use fresh fuel.

Situation - XJ Series 2 V12. At least 2 PO's 'project car' dormant for at least 20 yrs. Engine frozen. Was warned at purchase 'only left tank good' tho PO had never started car. Some old gas in left tank.
When I got the car, like an idiot I attempted to start. Verifying that yes, engine was locked. But also ran fuel pump several times, so possibly circulated whatever is in the tank all way around fuel circuit.

Got engine unfrozen.

Began to address fuel & ignition. Found left fuel tank very rusty inside, rust and debris in gas. Now want to flush fuel system all way around. Planned to open system in several places, purge in steps.
I am desperately attempting to NOT send anymore of whatever is now in fuel system into injectors.

So, kero or no? If no, is it just not the greatest, or will it actually cause more problems than it solves?

Thanks, all!

Old 12-30-2021, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 610 Posts

I personally use diesel fuel in my parts washer and if I were in your position that's what I would use. It cleans well and leaves a very small amount of oil behind. If you do use diesel or kerosene don't leave large amounts of it in the fuel system, in higher concentrations they don't ignite with a spark very well. The left-over residue won't be a problem and will be a little better for the pump if you run it to help clean out some of the gunk. Blow everything out with compressed air and/or use a simple blow-gun with a siphon hose attachment to blow through the fuel lines.

Dave

Old 12-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Kero Kleen

Thanks, LT1

I posted question not long before I went ahead anyway. Used kero due to having it handy.

Did it in sections, 1) Rear hoses, valves, 2) line from trunk to front filter, 3) filter thru injector rails, 4) return line, 5) whole system from trunk pump to tank return outlet.

Cars gas tank out of circuit. Made a pickup hose to a kero jerry can, return to large pail.

Did it in sections just in case something especially awful came out, wanted to know where it was from.

System very clean to my surprise, considering how awful tank interior was. In-tank filter sock was a hero.

Learned a lot more about 'stuff', including some trunk hardware not doing the right thing. Tho right tank is 'dead', a single-pump twin tank setup is in place. If I knew I had a dead tank, I wouldn't want the (mistaken) ability to choose that side. Will leave hosed-up as a single tank only set-up, until the day I change right tank.

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (12-30-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,265 Posts

In olden times before we had a vast array of products to do this and that , I used kero for pretty much everything that needed cleaning or flushing , including cleaning my ungloved (gasp) hands.

I would use it without hesitation, or diesel if that was more available. Both are safer to work with , just the diesel gets a bit stinky.

Residue in the system will do no harm. May alter the fuel spec in the first tank slightly but most like unnoticeable in normal use. Staff in oil terminal routinely mix product between gas grades, diesel and JetA1 to get product batches in spec, especially if cross contamination happened. Well at least they did in the 90s, things may be more sophistimacated now.

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
Coventrywood (01-01-2022), LT1 jaguar (12-31-2021)