XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

lady not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lady not starting

Hi guys, got a problem .....
The car doesn'twant to start (just cranks). When it was running two days agoit ran smooth neither shaking nor backfiring. It just stopped running suddenly like it ran on the quarters ..lol (the machines for kids in front of the supermarkets).
I've changed the coil, battery,spark plugs, gas filter, rotor, distributor cap, spark plug wires, even some of the relays (fuel pump relay, cold start relay and diode unit), fuel pressure regulator,and ignition amplifier.
When the car sits for several hours to cool off it wants to start back on, but the moment I turn it off that’s it.

Please help......
Thank you.
doca

Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,846 Posts
Default RE: lady not starting

can youtell methe lady'syear of birth, breed,and model?

Jose

Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM

1986 XJ6 little over 100k miles

Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

ok:

1) did you de-pressurize the fuel system when you replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Fuel Filter ?? (hint: you are supposed to, that's why everyone should have aService Manual for these cars).

2) if you did not de-pressurize, you may have tripped the Fuel Cutoff Inertia Switch which shuts off the Fuel Pump during a serious crash or rollover, or when opening up the pressurized fuel system to atmosphere, like you did. It may have been half-tripped, and eventually it tripped completely.

To find it: go to the passenger side, under the right, end-corner of the dash, and just above the kick-panel, (theupholstery panel on the side of the right leg when your sitting in the passenger's seat);

You will see a square, black, semi-gloss, plastic cover/finisher.Pull it off, it has a spring-clip which keeps it over the Inertia Switch. Once you pull it, you will see a black switchbox with a grey plug and wires at the bottom, anda Reset Button on top.

Press the Reset Button down medium-hard, if you hear a 'click', the switch was tripped. If no click, and the reset button "springs" loosely when you touch it, the switch is fine. Time to look elsewhere.

Let me know.
Jose

[IMG]local://upfiles/1235/6B6A465037C74108A5EA9A28492AD8E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easiest way to check is buy a spark tester/injector tester. The spark plug lightis very simple, itjust plugs in between the wire/rotor or plug/wire and has lights in it and shoudl light while cranking.The Injector checker is also simple. Itspretty much a light bulb thatis able to plug into the injector wires(after u take it off the injector) and should light upif it has a pusle. I recommend these tools for ANYONE who doeswork to their own cars. Its a life saver!If the spark checker lights, and the injectors light. check fuel pressure. If u got fuel pressure, thencheck timing. Beyond that i couldnt tell ya. Hope u find the problem!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Hi Jose,
The switch clicked, the car started and ran for10 seconds and then it shut off again. When it startedthe enginedidn't backfire at all.

thank you

1badjag I'm getting spark I already checked that,
the fuel pressure i got....probably a lot.

a few days ago I had one of the hoses from the fuel line leak. One of the small hosesconnectedto the injector.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

ok, so the Inertia Switch was tripped?Did you check to see if it tripped again after it started and shut down? Do you see any fuel leaking anywhere?

Check under the right Front fender (wing), passenger side, where you will see the Charcoal Canister, (a black plastic round "tank", locatedbelow the outer headlamp bucket).

thereare rubber hoses connecting to and from the Charcoal Canister to the engine, andone hose comes from the tanks, from below the car up;You will see a small, black plastic Check Valve, connected on both sidesto that hose,the side coming from the tanks to the check valve, is a big hose; thehose after the check valveis a small hose; Disconnect/pull the bigger hose from the check valve, (the hose on the left). Try to start the car again.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Jose

.... Do you see any fuel leaking anywhere?

Check under the right Front fender (wing), passenger side, where you will see the Charcoal Canister, (a black plastic round "tank", locatedbelow the outer headlamp bucket).

thereare rubber hoses connecting to and from the Charcoal Canister to the engine, andone hose comes from the tanks, from below the car up;You will see a small, black plastic Check Valve, connected on both sidesto that hose,the side coming from the tanks to the check valve, is a big hose; thehose after the check valveis a small hose; Disconnect/pull the bigger hose from the check valve, (the hose on the left). Try to start the car again.
There is no more leakage,...I've tried unpluging the hoses and nothing....

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

the fuel pump circuit needs to be checked next.

click on the following link, and print it for reference, follow the steps to check the 3 components:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/x...lpumpcheck.htm

as you do this, you need to continue checking the Inertia Switch for tripping. It might continue to tripp until a succesful run of the engine, (without it shutting off). Also print the picture below to learn where each component is.

Jose

[IMG]local://upfiles/1235/DBD0E5356D6B470B8A6173E2F7FA4821.jpg[/IMG]