XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

"Leaky" fuel tank selector valve? (I'm getting fed up with this fuel system!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Default "Leaky" fuel tank selector valve? (I'm getting fed up with this fuel system!)

Does your fuel tank selector valve leak gas from one tank to the other?

My left tank leaks gas when it gets above 3/8" full. This is usually not a problem but annoying. I simply leave the left tank pretty empty and fill up the right tank. Well, now it seems that if the car sits for a few days, the fuel tanks level out. The gas slowly makes its way from the full right tank to the empty left tank. I'm guessing that it leaks through the fuel selector valve located by the fuel pump. This causes my left tank to fill up, and leak gas on the ground.

I'm getting really tired of this fuel system, and I'm thinking pretty seriously about eliminating the left tank. I'm also suspicions that the fuel pump is getting gulps of air when I whip around a tight corner, causing the engine to almost die. (This could be an engine tuning problem - still not sure.) I'm thinking about replacing that left tank with a surge tank. This would allow me to submerge my fuel pump and make sure that I have a steady fuel supply - something critical for the supercharger I have waiting to go on. I hate to lose the fuel capacity and the novelty of having two tanks. I don't want to give up any trunk space to a fuel cell either.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Just get rid of the Jaguar fuel switching junk

I used a Pollak (6) port in my '72 LT1/700R and it works great...do not have any Jaguar switching stuff in any Jaguar....too much trouble.
Added clear filters from each tank before the valve (black thing) and since the photo, a fuel injection pressure rated filter after the pump.

Can send current photo with Summit fuel pump instead of Walbro (it died prematurely). Have a (3) port valve in my '71 383/200R that is carbed...
no problems whatsoever....

Attached Thumbnails "Leaky" fuel tank selector valve? (I'm getting fed up with this fuel system!)-new-walbro-fuel-pump-return-line.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pollack 6 port wiring IS-41_b.pdf (116.3 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 09-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lickahotskillet (04-30-2016)
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

New petrol tanks are available here in the UK, try David Manners Group who ship to the US. They are not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either.

If you eliminate one tank you will be constantly visiting a fuel station, as each tank really only holds about 8 UK gallons. If you get the tank fixed and by fitting a US V8 engine you have dispensed with the fuel return lines used by the original fuel injection system, then you could just replace the changeover valve with a T-piece so the two tanks act as one.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,903 Likes on 7,165 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I'm guessing that it leaks through the fuel selector valve located by the fuel pump. This causes my left tank to fill up, and leak gas on the ground.
I'm getting really tired of this fuel system, and I'm thinking pretty seriously about eliminating the left tank.

I hate to lose the fuel capacity and the novelty of having two tanks. I don't want to give up any trunk space to a fuel cell either.

Any thoughts?

I have a really off-the-wall idea to solve your dilemma.

If the valve is leaking you *could* just replace it, you know . You'll be good to go for another 20 years or so.

In 5 minutes of Googling I found new ones for as little as $62.00 and it couldn't take but 15 minutes to install it.

Your under no actual *obligation* to solve every parts failure by re-engineering the system, but feel free to do so at your discretion

Cheers
DD

Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Comments:

1. A USA engine with FI needs a return line.

2. Subbing in a T for the valve is fine on level ground. But, don't park side saddle on a steep hill. The high tank fuel will cross to the low side, if there isn't enough room, it will run out over the side. Gas on the ground, just waiting to ignite!!!

3. it may not be the valve that leaks, but only the detiorated hose connections. New hoses and clamps???

Carl