XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Looking to get a series 3 XJ6-what to look for when buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a series 3 XJ6-what to look for when buying

Hi all this i s my first post. I figure I should get some friendly advice before I go nuts buy a jaguar. I was actually looking to buy in the next month.

With the bad economy it seems prices have also fallen to an all time low. Not to mention I will be getting married in May and it's about time I get a family car. But being the person I am it's got to be a family car with some style. If the car is reliable I will probably use it as my daily driver. I only drive my daily driver right now about 5000 miles a year. So I imagine a jaguar could do that as well. But if it doesn't work out I got backup.

I'm also not looking for any fixer upper but a solid running car. Seems to be a few worthy candidates on ebay every few weeks. Any links you maintaining these cars would be greatly appreciated.

Finally and this is just because I cannot leave anything alone, I have seen pictures of cars with larger headlights then stock. I also am not particularly fond of the the steering wheel and wonder what others use. Then last but not least I have seen some really nice 17 inch chrome wheels off newer XKs that I think would look killer. Whats involved in getting those to fit?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,988 Likes on 7,215 Posts

This might help. Most of the Ser III stuff is towards the end.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjbuyersguide.html

There is a large degree of interchangeability in various Jaguar wheels but it isn't absolute. Aftermarket choices are very limited due to center hole size. Tastes vary, of course, but the olde world Ser III styling doesn't lend itself to flashy wheels, IMHO. It isn't a bling car.

The '89 XJS steering wheel is a popular upgrade. Nardi and Motolita and other aftermarket wheels are available.

The 7" headlight conversion is easy and popular.

A Ser III is easy to maintain for a decent DIY mechanic. THhey have a few quirks but with a little care they can be quite reliable...once you're done playing catch-up on all the things the previous owners negelected. These are really great cars...the most modern of all antique automobiles.

With the exception of a major engine or transmission failure, mechanical repairs are generally MUCH less expensive (assuming DIY labor) than cosmetic repairs. If cosmetics are important to you buy a car that already has extra nice paint, chrome, leather, wood, etc.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Thank you Doug.

These are the wheels I was thinking of getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW...item19be3dd893

If they fit they would be fun but it's not something I need to do. Just for the fun of it. I would be very happy to just keep it stock.

I will probably get a Moto Lita wheel though. I was poking around here and found a link. They are very nice and reasonably priced.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2000...you have got to be kidding me.

You can get any 5x4.75' wheels & have any good machine shop cut a few mm out of the center hub.

You would want a FWD offset if you are not looking to do any fender re-working. Something in the range of ET35-40. depending on width. Wheels from a S-10, corvette, camaro, firebird, impala(old ones), etc will fit, with previously mentioned hub center enlarging.

wont say what I fitted people will think I am crazy...but they work I just gotta get the cash for them now

Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by espresso
$2000...you have got to be kidding me.

You can get any 5x4.75' wheels & have any good machine shop cut a few mm out of the center hub.

You would want a FWD offset if you are not looking to do any fender re-working. Something in the range of ET35-40. depending on width. Wheels from a S-10, corvette, camaro, firebird, impala(old ones), etc will fit, with previously mentioned hub center enlarging.

wont say what I fitted people will think I am crazy...but they work I just gotta get the cash for them now

HAHA don't worry I probably will never get aftermarket wheels for it but it's also fun just to spice things up now and then.

The buyers guide was really helpful.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Sorry to bug ya guys again. I was looking at the 16 inch wheels and crunching some numbers and it looks like they should fit the car.

Not to mention I think I like the 16s even better.

From what I have found so far the stock wheels are 15x6.5 with a 28mm offset. The 16x7 have a 33mm offset and only stick out 2-3mm more then stock.

Plus if I do go with these I won't look as obnoxious as I would with 17s.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@turboman, I actually really like the stock S111 wheels on these cars, they have a classy look that goes well with the era of the car. Plus I would put the not inconsiderable cost of a set of after market rims and rubber into buying an even better example.

A well presented, maintained S111 is a thing of motoring beauty. The classic lines, the polished wood, the smell of the leather, the creak of the seat a you get in, and the sweet burble of the engine as you fire it up...Ahhhh!!

@Doug, whilst I know you are busy with your very demanding day job of pampering, maintaining and driving the collection of exotics, supercars, and historic automobiles, not to mention replying to and helping out the member's tech questions here, have you any news on the buyers guides that we were discussing for these forums? LOL

No pressure, of course.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that mechanical issues for the DIY buyer are easier to take care of versus paint/body/interior issues. However, one thing you should certainly try to define is if the car you are looking to buy has the "sewing machine" tap tap tap which may indicate a valve tappet guide is hitting the cam lobe. There are lots of pics online that show this potential damage. Obviously the only way to be sure is to take off the valve cover or ask the previous owner if a stakedown kit was installed.

Interior things that I found with my car and have yet to deal with: headliner is sagging (common from what I have read), and a small crack on wood panel near shifter. Be picky about the inside and sheet metal more so than the mechanicals overall.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sneal46
I agree that mechanical issues for the DIY buyer are easier to take care of versus paint/body/interior issues. However, one thing you should certainly try to define is if the car you are looking to buy has the "sewing machine" tap tap tap which may indicate a valve tappet guide is hitting the cam lobe. There are lots of pics online that show this potential damage. Obviously the only way to be sure is to take off the valve cover or ask the previous owner if a stakedown kit was installed.

Interior things that I found with my car and have yet to deal with: headliner is sagging (common from what I have read), and a small crack on wood panel near shifter. Be picky about the inside and sheet metal more so than the mechanicals overall.

Thanks Sneal

One of my friends mentioned this but didn't know the exact issue or the fix but said it's important to have. Good to know what it's called so I can check for it.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 PM

OK been looking for a bit now and checking out some cars. I just have to be patient. It's not easy.

Some peoples idea of perfect paint and perfect interior seem to be far different then mine.

I really wanted to have a nice car before the vintage car festival but I am gonna give up on that dream. Just wait til the right car at the right price comes along.

I have to blame myself a bit though. The economy sucks and I would be a fool to pay top dollar right now as far as I'm concerned. So not only do I need to find the perfect car, I need a seller who will come down in price.

But I am having fun looking.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

I looked at 30 before finding one that matched MY idea of "excellent condition" and by that time I was ready to pay the extra money.... which was about 30% more than I had originally planned.

Anyhow, yeah, keep looking. Your car is out there somewhere !

Cheers
DD

Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I looked at 30 before finding one that matched MY idea of "excellent condition" and by that time I was ready to pay the extra money.... which was about 30% more than I had originally planned.

Anyhow, yeah, keep looking. Your car is out there somewhere !

Cheers
DD

Yeah I will find one sooner or later. This one popped up on auto trader yesterday. They want to much for it but dam the color combination is really nice.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by turboman808
Yeah I will find one sooner or later. This one popped up on auto trader yesterday. They want to much for it but dam the color combination is really nice.

Remember....if you find one that DOESN'T need new paint, leather, chrome, and wood you've just saved yourself about $6000-$7000 or more.

I'm don't know what price range you're shopping in and I certainly wouldn't suggest throwing money away needlessly, but when that really mint condition car comes along, be ready to jump. You'll kick yourself forever if you let the car slip away because you're, let's say, $1000-$1500 apart from the seller on price.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I agree, it is a nice looking car, but I really do not like those wheels. They would be the first thing to go.

It's a personal thing I know.

Now then, a nice set of Euro bumpers and....

Keep looking, your car is waiting for you out there.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I know it is hard to judge from a pic, but from what I see...my car is in about the same condition (great interior and paint, no rust or leather issues) with 58k. I paid 6k for the car and another 500 or so to get it into shape (fluids, spark plugs, ac recharge, etc) after sitting in a pole barn for a while. Maybe that is a point of reference.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:00 AM
in2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned 3 series 3's they all came with their own "stock" ****les...The headlinings droop ...whatch out for the door handles on the earlier cars the actual base metal moulding crack and the door wo'nt open from outside (theres a cheap but fiddly fix though).ok what else?.oh yeah here in the uk the standard wheels are the first thing to get rid of they are the special "ride on a flat rim" (can't recall the name) tyres are like 3 times the price I got new rims from breakers ( I think I went down a sixe in diameter too...not too much of a problem with the speedo reading unless you go to low profiles ). for each of mine...the later rims like x and s types won't fit..
Have had to change the water pump on each one but is real easy and if you look on ebay you get new ones ate really good prices.
The worst problem I had with one was the awful digital dashboard I had that b*st*rd out on about 6 occasions fixing dry joints ......I would steer clear of that dash!.....
Oh and watch out for the real wheel bearing worth extra attention when servicing...the bearings sieze and the whole thing spins in the carrier wrecking the carrier so you cant just replace the bearing but have to do the whole outer assembly...
Generally speaking they still represent excellent value........

Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 AM
in2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please totally disregard my last post it is NOT for the series 3 !!!!!!

I was having a senior moment .!!

Forgive me

ta!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM

WOW I still cannot believe I haven't bought an XJ6 yet. I was just looking last night and poked around the forum here.

Fiance wanted a big wedding, followed by a cruise and then we had planned all along to start a new business as soon as we got back from our honeymoon.

Well things are finally to the point that I can go buy again and the winter is coming. I guess that's good because I can really take my time and find the perfect car.

But I told my wife I don't care what happens I will get a xj6 before the spring. I actually don't have any cars on the road at the moment. Put a few in storage and then blew the motor in the porsche and got sick of driving my work van. I just go back and forth a mile to work and home and use my wifes car on weekends if I need it. Sure will be nice to get back to driving.

Hope in the next few months I can pop back in here and show you all my sweet ride! (that's what she said)

Old 10-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

why dont you like the wheels?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default looks like mine

that looks like my whip....i just questioned my wife to see if she put it on the market as payback for losing my weding ring

Last edited by doghead08; 10-30-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: Looking to get a series 3 XJ6-what to look for when buying