XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Manual trans in your Jag

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by smith356
Today, manual transmissions are found in very few cars, and this is very limiting to younger generations.
No it's not. The entire act of driving interferes with texting
while driving and treating the car like it was a living room
with a gaming console.

But there is nothing quite like the joy of a perfectly executed
double declutch.

The following 4 users liked this post by plums:
Doug (10-16-2016), LnrB (10-16-2016), o1xjr (10-17-2016), Rickxj6 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,483 Likes on 5,476 Posts

Originally Posted by smith356
...Today, manual transmissions are found in very few cars, and this is very limiting to younger generations...
Thanks, Jim
I just read a piece on CBSNews.com about this very phenomenon;
It said that a mere 18% of American drivers know how to operate a stick shift, and only 5% (FIVE PERCENT) of new cars sold in the US have a manual transmissions.

The article went on to say the "third pedal lowers resale value as much as $2000."
Report: Only 18 Percent Of Americans Can Drive Vehicles With Manual Transmission « CBS Sacramento
(';')

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (10-20-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
It said that a mere 18% of American drivers know how to operate a stick shift, and only 5% (FIVE PERCENT) of new cars sold in the US have a manual transmissions.

The article went on to say the "third pedal lowers resale value as much as $2000."
Report: Only 18 Percent Of Americans Can Drive Vehicles With Manual Transmission « CBS Sacramento
(';')
Except when looking at ads for used Miata's and Porsche Boxsters

Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,099 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

(';')
This is soooo true, i have had my sons ford focus up for sale for months.. the cars needs nothing at all done to it. Interest is high until they find out its a 5 speed! Cannot even convince them that they would have it down in a couple of hours.
I made both of my sons own manual cars, just like my dad made me!
Youngest one ( the one im selling car for now) is a semi driver driving all over the country.

Last edited by Darrenmb; 10-17-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,378 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
This is soooo true, i have had my sons ford focus up for sale for months.. the cars needs nothing at all done to it. Interest is high until they find out its a 5 speed! Cannot even convince them that they would have it down in a couple of hours.
I made both of my sons own manual cars, just like my dad made me!
Youngest one ( the one im selling car for now) is a semi driver driving all over the country.
I've overheard young people approaching driving age getting excited about a self driving car they read about on the Internets.

When I became of driving age, the last thing I would say to myself is, dam I wish the car could drive itself.
Back then in the news was... The Flying Car and the debate was weather or not the owner would need a pilots license or not.
I suspect the self driving car will go the way of the flying car...technically possible but not practical.

In the words of Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan...
' the times they are a changggg-in. '

A few years ago I had a new Infinity with adaptive cruise control, 5.1 surround sound, screens everywhere. Did nothing for me. When the novelty wore off, all I could hear was the un-resolved clunk in the rear end and all I kept seeing was a sloppy / loose A pillar trim. The dealer was not able to fix either

Last edited by icsamerica; 10-17-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
In the words of Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan...
' the times they are a changggg-in. '
Yep, and it's time to start giving away Nobel Prizes on game shows...
Flame suit on

The following users liked this post:
icsamerica (10-17-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

gotta be the new millienium generation.

my son-in law, 34yrs old , has never driven a manual shift car, born and raised in Boston Mass.

took him out to try one,, stalled 3times, started jerkin and jumpin around , gave up and said "why in hell would anyone want to drive something like this" so much easier with automatic drive!!

i had no respectable comment.

it is what it is, coming into a new world of normal.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Tis a changing of the times/tunes with out a doubt.

In about 1953, I was in Germany in the U.S. Army. HQ wisely decided that all members be able to drive all of the different vehicles assigned to the unit. Jeep and weapons carrier, easy. The latter a Dodge with a real truck granny low. but, earlier, my dad had checked me out on one.

Then, the Studebaker 6x6 "deuce and a half". Granny low. Double clutch needed here.

And then the larger 5 ton. Big IHC 6x6. tons of torque and a really
big truck granny. Muscle and double clutch needed. Not for the faint at heart.

Oh, oh, backing with the box trailer a real task. The trailer was not semi, but a full pull trailer. Just keeping all wheels going the same way a big deal. Stiff clutch, but it did have power steering and air brakes!!!

Then, the fun vehicle. A full track prime mover. Room for six and ammo!!! Auto transmission ands two levers to steer. Slick. Big Waudeshaw 6 cylinder gas engine. And, a huge radiator for the trans fluid. Did that one out in the dirt. But, solo not with a gun in tow!!!

Carl