XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Mavis tire did so much damage to my rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 03:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry Mavis tire did so much damage to my rims

went to get my tires replaced as a bad alignment had been eating mine terribly, anyways went to mavis, took 3 hours of waiting but they finally got it done for $600,
shouldve inspected my rims better before i left but after waiting htat long i just wanted to go home. anyways i didnt drive it yesterday (got the change 2 days ago) but today while driving i hear a noticeable clinking noise coming from my tires. i suspected that it was just the jug nut covers as they fall off even when i take off the lug nuts so no biggie, then i hear something fall from my car while doing 50 on a main road so no time to stop and check. i get to my destination and lo an behold, my center cap is gone, but wait so is another one aswell as the black metal cap that sits below it, the other two are still on but barely hanging on with tabs broken on each, i call and take my car there and they tell me to come back tommorow, thought to photograph the damage before they tell me tommorow that its too late and i couldve done that myself, anyways the main point of this thread is to ask anyone if they know where i can get not only the top center cap but teh metal one below it, ill attach pics for reference, i ordered one from SNG but its special order and aftermarket so A who knows when thatll come and B if it will even match, this one part was $50 with shipping, so they did $200+ worth of damage, wonder if this is why it took so long perhaps them trying to cover their mistake long enough for me to not be able to blame them. i better get my full payment back or be reimbursed for the damage which i estimate to be $250. Very Displeased shouldve gone to a small business, this is what you get when you take your car somewhere that does "quick work" learn from my mistakes and only trust your car with someone who deserves it!

(forgot to mention they actually did manage to take off about 6 lug nut caps too! so bonus points for that)

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Sorry for the trouble.

I bought new tires from Walmart recently and had them mounted and balanced there too. I removed them from the car and took them there in my van because I will not leave my car in any shop and I do not want the lugnuts tightened by an air tool. I prefer to torque the lugnuts myself.

I have XJ40 painted wheels which will always be scratched on the edges no matter what. However the kid who did them was very careful and I also asked him to use lead weights on the rear side only, no stick-on weights, no outside weights.

He did it perfectly and the painted edges were not scratched much. I gave him a $20.00 tip.

What I witnessed at Walmart Auto Services was a professional outfit and a lot of supervision by a female manager who kept her eye on every job being done. Too bad they are not setup for classic wire wheels with tubes.

Last edited by Jose; 06-30-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Mkii250 (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 04:50 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
Sorry for the trouble.

I bought new tires from Walmart recently and had them mounted and balanced there too. I removed them from the car and took them there in my van because I will not leave my car in any shop and I do not want the lugnuts tightened by an air tool. I prefer to torque the lugnuts myself.

I have XJ40 painted wheels which will always be scratched on the edges no matter what. However the kid who did them was very careful and I also asked him to use lead weights on the rear side only, no stick-on weights, no outside weights.

He did it perfectly and the painted edges were not scratched much. I gave him a $20.00 tip.

What I witnessed at Walmart Auto Services was a professional outfit and a lot of supervision by a female manager who kept her eye on every job being done. Too bad they are not setup for classic wire wheels with tubes.
hey Jose, thanks for the recommendations, any idea where I can get replacement caps? Or if the SNG aftermarkets are the same as the original? They also have OEM but it seems those don’t have the Jaguar just blank caps

Old 06-30-2021, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,851 Posts

your wheels are called "Kent" wheels. They are the factory wheels in the Series 3 XJ-6 and 12 from 1979 to 1992.

I have seen them in Ebay and other parts suppliers in the US. There are 3 parts to them, the stainless steel cap, the black growler emblem, and the spring steel holder in the rear.

if you search bing.com for "jaguar kent wheel center cap" you will find them new or used.

also check with David at www.everydayxj.com he might have them.

davidboger (07-06-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

When I get tires, on any car I own, I Always remove the hub caps first and hide them from the tire Gorillas. Always.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
Greg in France (07-01-2021), Mkii250 (07-01-2021), yachtmanbuttson (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Too bad NY and Ca are so far away/ I have a complete set of Kents in decent shape. I am sure we could come to a deal. They are not worth shipping /

As noted, Mavis will weasel.. Good luck..

However, David Boger at everydayxj has the bits. good guy, reasoanvle prices. good stuff fast response!!

Gee, waht a difference, eh11

davidboger (07-06-2021)