XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Missing Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing Fuel Tank

Hi everybody!

I'm very new to this, so I'll try to explain as best I can.

I bought an '86 XJ6 last night, knowing it needs work. It has been in a garage for the past seven years, and it needs various things like paint, tires, a good service, etc (but seems to be electrically intact!!). The owners were selling it it because it wouldn't start when they tried to move it out of storage.

Anyway, I bought it and started fooling around with it, and noticed that one of the fuel tanks is missing. I contacted the previous owner and they told me that they sent the tank over the border to have a hole repaired and the company made a mess of it. The right hand side tank seems to look alright. Is there any way that I could run the car on the right hand side tank until I can get my hands on another? I realize that the range isn't going to be much, but my commute is only around 30 miles a day.

In addition, I had a couple of ideas as to how I'm going to tackle the engine, but I'd love suggestions!

Thanks in advance for any and all help, I'm sure I'll be back with more!

Dino

Old 01-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

New tanks are still available from Spectra. They can be bought on Rockauto.com and perhaps other places. Rotted out fuel tanks are typical and the repair or replace debate senselessly rages on. In my opinion, new tanks are the only way to go because it's a difficult job and failed fuel tanks can send tiny rust particles through your fuel injectors and pump, possible ruing both. If the filter doesn't catch them all you are in for a world of hurt. Repairing tanks is penny wise and pound foolish.

While you are at it consider eliminating the factory switch over system. If you want to retain tank selectivity retrofit a pollack valve (6 port). A simpler and more economical approach is to simply bridge the tanks so they balance using a 1/2 line and a T fitting on the pump supply side and another T fitting to bridge the tanks return line.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by dinop
Hi everybody!

......... Is there any way that I could run the car on the right hand side tank until I can get my hands on another? I realize that the range isn't going to be much, but my commute is only around 30 miles a day.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, I'm sure I'll be back with more!

Dino
To answer that specific question. Sure thats must be what they must have been doing anyway. While you are waiting on a new tank you can just leave it on the right tank (switch out, white line visible) and fill up more frequently. You may want to put a reminder sticker on there to stop you or anyone else touching it.

If the whole fuel system is suspect (one tank gone, the right probably not far behind unless you know its been done) its probably the place to start with getting the engine going. Until nice new fresh fuel is arriving up front , not much else matters really. Hopefully none of those nasties ICS mentioned are waiting for you.

Last edited by yarpos; 01-11-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Dino:

Congrats and welcome. Lottsa fun coming up!!

1. Lots of these cars are running around on one tank. One holds about 12 gallons. Even at 10 miles per gallon, that is four days out of your commute. And, it should do somewhat better.

2. Two new tanks would be ideal. If in the budget, a good way to go.

3. However, David Boger at everydayxj might have a good pair for a whole lot less money.

4. The "T" joining does work. Caveat. If you side hill park with a lot
of gas in the tanks, the up tank will drain in to the low tank, then if not enough room, spill over. Not good. If you are always in the flat lands....

5. Are the lines for the "missing tank" plugged. Supply, return and vent? if not, could be a hazard.

Carl

Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member

A T piece with some one way flow valves would work I think. I have that sort of set up with water tanks at home to stop some draining into others and overflowing.

I might investigate that option if I ever get into the fuel system again. Simpler is better for me.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 AM

Since I'm just running on one tank, could I create a direct link rather than having a t-piece?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Lots of suggestions here and I dont think any of us is really clear on your starting position. Forget the T piece for know, that is a good idea for the future when you have two working tanks.

Assuming this car was in storage and allegedly has one working tank (the right one, passenger side in your country) , then all you should have to do is make sure that your fuel selector switch on the dash is in the out position, with the white band exposed (even has a little R on there from memory).

You need to do this as the right tank required the solenoid activated fuel tap to be powered up for the right tank to be in play. No power is required to use the left tank (but that will leave you sucking air).

So charged battery in place, fuel switch out, tank drained as far as possible and topped up with fresh gas, ignition on.

Do you hear a fuel pump whirring in the boot (whirring good, silence not good)

If not whirring we have possibilities of fuse, wiring, faulty/blocked pump.

If whirring the next step is to see if you are getting fuel at the engine.

Someone else will need to assist from their as I am not familiar with the FI set up on the standard car , mine is a lump. A bit of care is needed there as there is (hopefully) fuel under pressure at the FI system. Normally you would insert a pressure meter in there to very fuel arriving and correct pressure. There may be other more pragmatic tests you can do with digging to deep, but I dont know them.

Another basic check might be to check for fuel returning to the tank, when the ignition is on. Pushing the little flap down with a screwdriver will give you visibility of unused fuel returning to the tank. If visibility is not good it is inadvisable to use a match or a cigarette lighter at that point for reasons of large explosion. Even if you are using a flashlight turn it on before you get to the vehicle.

Last edited by yarpos; 01-12-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 AM

I suppose I didn't exactly have a starting point. Here's a quick background on the car:

1986 Jaguar XJ6
Silver
70,114.6 original miles on the clock
Last registered/inspected in July '97
Has been in a garage for ten years.
One fuel tank was removed by previous owner to be cleaned
Unsure if car was running without this tank.

Since buying, I've tried playing with the fuel tank select switch, nothing happens, and the needle does not move, no matter the position.

I had my girlfriend turn the car on while I felt the fuel pump: nothing.
I'll try to take the pump off without damaging the fuel lines and bench test it tonight.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! Are you in Canada ?

Sounds like you got a good car, I've seen a few XJs for sale cheap because of minor issues, it seems fear of the cars keeps the prices good and low :-)

I've owned two where one tank has been sealed off for whatever reason and both owners seem to have been content to use them like that, but obviously you'll want to replace it and new ones are available.

Tim

Old 01-13-2016, 12:40 PM

Tim,
I'm in Vermont, living just under 10 miles from the Canadian border! I'll take some photos of the car tonight and post a few in the morning! I nabbed this Mk3 for only $400! I couldn't pass it up.

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dinop
I suppose I didn't exactly have a starting point. Here's a quick background on the car:

1986 Jaguar XJ6
Silver
70,114.6 original miles on the clock
Last registered/inspected in July '97
Has been in a garage for ten years.
One fuel tank was removed by previous owner to be cleaned
Unsure if car was running without this tank.

Since buying, I've tried playing with the fuel tank select switch, nothing happens, and the needle does not move, no matter the position.

I had my girlfriend turn the car on while I felt the fuel pump: nothing.
I'll try to take the pump off without damaging the fuel lines and bench test it tonight.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!
Try not to confuse what the gauge says with reality. At this stage it doesnt matter what the gauge says, as long as you are sure you have some fuel in the tank and the switch left in the correct position. Before you pull things apart maybe test you are getting voltage at the pump. It may just be a blown or missing fuse.

Last edited by yarpos; 01-13-2016 at 10:08 PM.