Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration

Hi guys!

Since this is the sight I've found the most about XJ6L's vs. XJ6's, I figure I'd call this place home for mine as well. So, I acquired this 1974 XJ6L for nothing as my first car. Not a bad deal. But it needs work (I'll post pics for you all later). So I got it Saturday, and have pretty much been working on it every free second I have. I've taken off my side lights so I can clean them up and make new gaskets and so when it goes to paint, I can keep the same Jaguar green (what ever the technical name is, I haven't found it yet). The interior is tan, and needs only a little work. Now on to the mechanical that needs to be worked on: just the dual Zenith-Stromberg carburetors right now. All of the electrical systems check out and so do the rest of the mechanical systems. I'll just post occasional questions here (like the ones to follow) and updates.

Now to the first questions that I have:

1) The previous owner said that he had the dual saddlebag gas tanks removed. Out of my personal want, I would like to re-install these. Where would one come about said tanks and how would I go about installing them?

2) I need new windows and/or new doors. Where would I get windows/doors for an XJ6L? Are there compatible parts I can look out?

3) Are there any sites that you guys like for parts? (Besides Moss Motors, eBay, etc.)

I ordered a Haynes Repair Manual for the car and the carburetors that should be coming in the next few days... But as of right now, I'm just winging it with my dad.

And any help or tips are definitely appreciated!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM

And some pics for you all...

Attached Thumbnails My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-jag-inside.jpg   My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-jag.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jag-bits or ebay and you can find the tanks. You are looking at a pretty big expense to put them back in though. The tanks run close to $400 each and that is not even counting all of the valves and solenoids needed to make it all work. I am actually considering removing mine and going to a single fuel cell with a remote filler neck so that I can still utilize the stock filler location.

As for doors and windows craigslist, and pick and pulls will be your best avenue.

When it comes to specific parts I like to google search for the original part number and see what my options are. After all, google is the collective knowledge of all mankind.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Well, I'm crazy, and I would love them back in. I'm willing to pay $400 each, through my craziness. And I did find one, I'll post a link.

Spectra Premium Spectra Fuel Tank - JCWhitney

Would this work for both passenger and driver's side? If it needs a little tooling to get it to fit, no problem. I have an entire machine shop at my disposal (with sand blaster, which will come in handy)!

And I found a guy about 5 hours from here in Cincy who's selling doors and hood and various parts for about $600. Not a bad deal I think. We're doing some small maintenance right now. We tightened up some belts today.

Big thing that we're looking at is a new throttle control arm... It seems to be sticking when the gas is pressed, like the choke isn't closing all the way.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM

jagbits has them cheaper and they have both sides.
http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/sear...page=1&filters[catcode]=SeriesIII_FuelDeliv_9&sort=code%20asc
The jagbits ones are for 80+ but will fit your 74. The only change is using the 80+ sending units. Which is actually a good thing since that makes them accessible through the tail lamps instead of the wheel well.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

If the currently installed fuel system is working OK, I'd save the $800+ and put it towards something else.

There will be something else.

Best wishes on your restoration, be good to see it repainted.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!
And you have a lot of reading to do.
In this forum, there are links to your car; electrical manuals, parts schematics...
Also, I suggest you download these two:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/books/xj6/xj6book.zip which is an overview/tips in the XJ6
and this one
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/XJS_help.pdf which is more in the XJS, but has lots of goddies regarding brakes, steering (and why you should put new aftermarket bushings), electrical.
The Haynes book is quite handy.
Have fun!!!! Post with questions!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 PM

It seems that I keep having an issue with my ZS carbs flooding. True we have the manual, but does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two 74 Jags, XJ6L and a XJ12L. I just ordered a drivers side Spectra fuel tank for just under $300. I can let you know how it looks when I get it. Also if you need door glass I think I have some that I would be interested in selling, as I had purchased a few parts cars years ago and I still have some good parts left, let me know if you are interested. I am in Lima, Ohio about 2 hours from you.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Well, good news! We performed an cylinder compression check, and they all check out. But we still must figure out the flooding issue. We've decided when we rebuild the interior, we're going to change it to black, because it's easier and what not.

sly_cat_74... This Saturday, we drove up to South Bend, IN (about 5 hours from here) to get windows and various other parts, but thank you for the offer. And the guy who I got the car from, he is going to get the original tanks from his mechanic who took them out for us so we can put them back in. So there's some $600-$800 saved.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM

So today, we tested out the power windows. There were no mechanical issues, they weren't stuck up, but they seemed weak and slow. I took one motor out, and it looks okay. But I noticed there are permanent magnets in them, do these get weak over time and prevent the motor from developing full torque?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I've been working on the Jag. The carbs kept flooding, so we decided to take them off, and work on them. So far, everything has gone smooth for the most part. Little hiccups here and there, but we're doing good. But I need some help identifying parts so I can get them ordered. I have Zenith Stromberg 175 CDSE carburetors and am specifically looking for the black plastic plate inside of the auto-choke, and also the plastic cover plate to the temperature compensator. Also, anyone who might have some blowups of this carb, please send me a PM or post them. I've been looking, but it's hard to find them. I'm working on putting the throttle linkage back on. Heck, even if you have pictures of how the spring go on would help greatly. Thanks guys!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM

As far as the windows, roll them down and take a rag with warm water and mild soap and clean paths they move up on, then apply some silicone on them. Since you have the door panel off go ahead and apply some white lithium grease to the metal tracks and you'll have fast windows once again.

Last edited by Lancer-AM; 06-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lancer-AM:
Flint Ironstag (07-18-2012), littlelic69 (11-05-2013)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

contact David at Everyday XJ he has many used parts. I think the only difference is the stretched/longer rear doors of the XJ-6L (and of course the longer top), otherwise same car.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default carbs

Originally Posted by theritz226
...I have Zenith Stromberg 175 CDSE carburetors and am specifically looking for the black plastic plate inside of the auto-choke, and also the plastic cover plate to the temperature compensator. Also, anyone who might have some blowups of this carb, please send me a PM or post them. I've been looking, but it's hard to find them. I'm working on putting the throttle linkage back on. Heck, even if you have pictures of how the spring go on would help greatly. Thanks guys!
Hi - they do make a reproduction of the plate to cover the temperature compensator. All the British car places have them... but you could try xks unlimited (in CA - they always have stuff in stock). Terry's Jag which is in MI I believe - good people - or even Moss Motors. Your carbs are pretty much the same as TR6 carbs so if you go there you can look at exploded views of the carbs.

If your carbs are flooding you are having a float or needle valve issue. Could just be sticking but new ethanol gas doesn't play well with very old floats and needle valve seals. If the car's been sitting rebuild them. Floats don't come with the rebuild kit but you should replace them with new ones made from Nitrophyl. It's supposed to be impervious to new fangled fuel issues. I got mine from XK's Unlimited and have been very happy with them.

People have different opinions about needle valves. Some swear by Grosse jets which are basically a double ball valve (I like those myself). But there are also viton-tipped versions of the originals which are good as well - change them out though.

The autochoke you describe must be the water type - you can get the parts from the places I mentioned and there are some good videos on youtube by (I believe) University Motors showing the rebuild process for the autochoke system. It's for an MG but they are virtually identical.

One very good thing to do if you're rebuilding the carbs is to replace the rubber seals that seal the throttle shaft. They are covered with brass cups that they now make a reproduction for. You can't get them out with destroying those brass 'cups'. I got mine from Moss but others probably have them as well. Rebuild kits usually don't have the rubber seals either so get those too.

The following 2 users liked this post by rustfreemike:
Junkyardjohn (12-13-2020), William Forrest Peavey (11-11-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Hey, thanks! I'll work on getting those things. Now, I have a huge question. Well, when the previous owner had the car, some delinquent shot out the rear quarter glass panel. I got a replacement, but how do I put it in? I have the Haynes manual which puts it in a 1-2-3 form, but it isn't working that way. And Chilton's has nothing. So I need help with that. Thanks guys!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Ouch, that's a hard one !!

Most of us oldies on here have never ever had the fixed door glass out on an XJ. However, I suspect you have to take out the window frame or part of it. All will become clearer if you take off the door trim to identify the screws holding it on. There may be some screws visible on the door shut face.

I'm not sure how the glass itself is held in the frame; clearly there is a rubber seal around it. It could be the rear vertical channel for the moveable glass has to come off.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

what you need is the Technician's Repair Manual which has a huge section on body repairs and replacements. Nothing else will have it. Otherwise you can try to do it "by ear" and in the process become highly knowledgeable about replacing Quarter Lites, while becoming a Certified "Trial-and-Error-Nician". Spraying lubricating oil on every nut and bolt helps and is not considered "cheating".

Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Well, I suppose I've become quite the "trial-and-error-nician" in that case. So we're getting ready to put the carburetors on, and as we look through all of our books, and print outs, we find that we can't find how to attach all of the linkage back on. We have little bits and pieces on, but it's the even littler bits and pieces that we can't seem to put on. If anyone could help me out with this, I've been searching this all day. Maybe even a diagram, website, or a picture of their carburetor's linkage would be swell! Thanks guys!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on graduating as a Certified "Trial-N-Error-Nician". I graduated too, long ago.

when it comes to parts for these cars, you look everywhere you can, eBay is but one place to look for parts. you might also find used Series 2 parts from a place is Texas called Motorcars Ltd. Jaguar Parts Information

you can order a Shop Manual CD for your car, then you can print whatever pages you need to work on the car. Here's a site that has them: The Jagbits Bookshop Service Manuals, Repair Books, and CD-Roms
(a bit pricey, though).

for the older Jags, SNG Barrat USA store has very good prices:
SNG Barratt - USA | Jaguar & Daimler classic parts, spares & accessories (check their price of the CD Shop Manual).

and check eBay too.

Contact Joe Curto to see if he might have a diagram for the carb linkages. He rebuilds carbs and is one of the best known rebuilders in the USA. .:| Joe Curto, Inc - British Car Repairs and Parts since 1973 |:.

keep at it, don't give up.

Quick Reply: My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration