XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Two things to check:
  1. The temperature compensators. Must be clean, well-sealed, and balanced.
  2. The bypass valves. Check the diaphragms and adjustment.

If you go to the technical section of the Buckeye Triumphs site, you will find a good description of both of these items, along with the rest of the carburetors.

I just adjusted my temperature compensators last night, and it seems to have eliminated an issue starting when warm. Before I had to press the accelerator when the engine fired or it would stall. Now she just fires and purrs like she should!

Keep up the good work!

Tom

Old 05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your dash looks great! I'll be refinishing mine soon, what products did you use? Any tricks you'd care to pass along?

Okay, now I feel guilty. I'll be honest, my fiance who is a furniture designer will be refinishing the woodwork. I turn bolts and don't deal with wood particularly well!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys, sorry it's been a while! I just got caught up in all of the work! Well, the refinishing of the interior components is coming along quite nicely, and the Jag itself is in the shop getting completely new brakes. Calipers, rotors, and lines, the whole shebang. We have it running quite nicely, and between the time it got registered and went to the shop, we put a whopping 33 miles on it! I should be picking it up tomorrow, in which case I'll be putting interior components back together and begin working on the wiring harness for my stereo. Pictures of the progress coming soon!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM

The dash took me forever to do by the way. I began by sanding down my finish with about 200 grit sandpaper until you break through the old urethene, and get just a little wood. The I wiped it with mineral spirits lightly, and began a 6 month process. I used Minwax Urethene spray in gloss finish. I'd put a coat on, and sand with 400 grit sandpaper. After about 5 coats, I evened everything out, using 120 grit and rebuilt about 10 fine layers at a time, using 600 grit in between each. And viola! A "new" dashboard! Exactly what I did is back towards pages 3 & 4, there I go in more detail.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been around in a while, I've been busy with school but I've still been working on the Jag. It's been registered and driven as a daily driver since about mid-August. It's really weird, but the more I drive this car, the ride gets smoother and the drive train runs smoother and quieter. I was giving my friend's mom a test ride and I went over a pot hole that's always in my town, and she said that the ride was smoother than her new Lexus.

First: the car had been sitting outside, under a tarp with no windows (they had been shot out), since 2002, so the interior was mostly ruined from the humidity and temperature changes. Now that I"m driving it, I've been doing mostly interior work.

After stripping off all of the old vinyl, I created new pieces from Naugahyde, and re wrapped all of the pieces. I matched the color as close as I could to the original Biscuit color, and went to work. I redid the headliner and all of the trim components, made new door panels and wrapped them with a base of headliner material with the Naugahyde over them, and did all of the various other components the same way. I still don't have the doors done, because I'm still working on running wires for my stereo system.

I'm going to keep working on it, and in the spring, I'll be painting it the original Dark British Racing Green (#254) myself. I'll most likely strip panels down this winter and prime them, and drive like that for the winter.

I decided that the car was missing something... Something iconic to a Jaguar. I custom fit the leaper on to my hood. I have the small leaper (5"), and even though it doesn't belong on a Series II, I get a lot of comments from people saying they like it.

Enjoy the pictures I've attached. And thank you for your continued interest in my project!

Attached Thumbnails My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-dsc_0113.jpg   My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-dsc_0114.jpg   My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-dsc_0120.jpg   My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-dsc_0129.jpg   My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-dsc_0131.jpg  

Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

And I thought that Naugahydes were creatures from Lord of the Rings!!!!

Looking good. Love the work on the dashboard.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM

Hi guys!

I know it has been a while since I've posted here, but I'll give you an update!

This car has been my daily driver back and forth to school since September. It survived the arctic Cincinnati winter this year with no hiccups! Lately I've been focusing on the interior a lot, and getting ready to shift to stripping down the paint for priming and painting.

So we found a SIII at a junkyard not too long ago, with a flawless interior, and we basically bought the car and took out the interior. We've transplanted all that we can from the junkyard one to mine. It's a world of difference in the interior! We are also finishing up the stereo system upgrade shortly. Here's a sneak peek of the interior... I'll post more photos later this week!

Attached Thumbnails My 1974 Jaguar XJ6L Restoration-interior-sneak-peek.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

This the first I've seen of your thread. What you've doing is great and at a decent budget. Looks like we'll be doing parallel builds on '74s. I will check in with you regularly.
Keep turning those wrenches!

Ron

Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

This thread renews my faith in humanity and my hope for future generations!

Old 11-04-2020, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same series II and am having issues with the electrical on the windows and starting. 1st issue was the starting issue. I have replaced the rrlay on the fire wall but that has not fixed my issue of starting. I have jiggled the seatbelt to get it to start but that doesn’t seem to be the issue. What else can I check?
also the windows were working just fine but now they all just stopped. Fuses look and test fine but not sure about if a relay is the issue. At the same time the fan stopped working as well. Not sure if these are correlated or not. Please help