XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

My once in a lifetime Jaguar project

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My once in a lifetime Jaguar project

Hey everyone. 2 years ago I was given the rare opportunity to own a very rare Jaguar. Its a 1992 Series III V12 VDP. These were numbered cars. Only 100 were built. And they were only sold in Canada. My car is Number 19 of 100. Only 6 of these cars ever made to America. While most of the surviving cars treated well. Mine was not. It had a very hard life. It started out in Montreal. Which is a heavy salt city. And was driven year round. After a few years in that environment it was sold to someone in Virginia. Where it was allowed to sit in the country and grow even more rust. That is where I came in. A very dear friend of mine found the car and assisted me in acquiring it. I live in Louisiana. Right after I got the car I experienced my own family issues. So, it has just been sitting in my shop. Well, I finally get to start working on it! I cannot afford to have a professional shop restore it. So, I am going to have to step out and do alot of it myself. Which is probably better anyway. It is a hobby after all! LOL. Anyway, do to the EXTREME rust in the bottom of the car this is going to be a resto mod project. Please join me and follow along as I take this exciting journey!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:04 AM
Received 10,494 Likes on 6,929 Posts

Good on ya.

They are such a SWEET car, no matter what is said.

Doing it your way, and as a hobby is the BEST way to do whatever is needed.

No pressure whatsoever.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

I look forward to hearing more.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,246 Likes on 5,403 Posts

Hello, Mark, Elinor B here.
We Luv watching Resto-mod threads! Having just been there myself to a limited degree, I know what treasures you'll find.
I'll be looking in too.
(';')

Old 10-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, Mark, nice to hear from you. Life issues, yeah....
Resolved or moved on.

1. Cut out chunks and weld in good used?

2. Find a better car and swap in the best stuff?

I am extremely lucky. My car only has one tiny trace of the rust monster, it has not progressed. Don't need fixin!!!

Well, other odds and ends. but, the recent starter, switch and wire issued resolved it is on the road again and looking great.

I have been fussing with the rust thing. A rusty old tool box with a collection of old tools. Interesting, but rusty. Hand drill, not electric, rusted shut. Brace, partly freed. Spoke shave with removable blade. coming along well.

Carl

Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm just sure where to start removing stuff. LOL. I had to decide if I was going to get it running. Then take it apart. Or just take it apart. i decided that to spend money on getting it running only to take it apart was a waste of money. I am on a limited budget. But now I'm not sure where to start the deconstruction. Hey Carl its been awhile since we talked!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 3,950 Likes on 2,856 Posts

Good luck Mark, I'll be following with interest!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Best wishes with your new hobby Mark, you'll have lots of fun. Sometimes it is hard to know where to start but IMHO if you already know the rust bug has a seriously bad hold underneath, by removing seats/carpets/trim and body panels the true extent of it will be revealed. Also best access gained for cutting out the really rough stuff.

Cheers,

Old 10-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Mark:

It has been a while !!!

I don't think investing a bit to get t running would be a waste. To the contrary!

1. As an incentive to getting it road worthy.
2. To enable an evaluation as to the condition of the engine and drive train.

Quite a worthy challenge....

Good to hear from you!!

Carl

Old 10-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I've got a 88 Series 3 that I imported from Montreal as well

If its not running, I'd get it running and drive it around a bit before tackling the tin worm. Be careful when you put it on jack stands, inspect the support plates first. There are stories on the board of jack stands going through the metal, you don't want to be under the car if that happens. Also check for rust around where the rear trailing suspension attaches to the body, that's a structural problem if it lets go at speed. I know my car needs work there

Old 10-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

And for the love of god, get some polish and wax on that puppy. Matt black is not a cool color unless you have spinners and neon under lighting to go with it

Old 10-23-2015, 12:27 AM

Thanks Warlock! Please post some picks of your car for me.My jacking points are very rusted. There is no way I would jack this puppy up off its wheels. And there is no amount of money in the world that would get me under it. Its that rusty.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd evaluate the driveline condition before delving into the bodywork, get it running or at least to a stage where you can do a compression test.

Should be a lot easier and quicker to get it running rather than doing the bodywork.

At least that way, you know mechanically it is worth the effort to then restore the body, plus as mentioned, knowing it runs will be a lot more motivation to get the panel work finished.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Safety first. Absolutely.

1. Get it to run and then use ramps. A pair at a time. Front, then rear. reasonably safe then, if chocked. Don't ask!!

2. Lift one end at a time. Use jack and stands on the front x member. And the rear cage.

Yes, indeed, pull the carpet and seats to see what the bely looks like.

And, unless you can welds and have the equipment or access to it, I dunno????

A better car to transfer the good stuff to?

And, that is an issue as it is a special car, rust bucket or not.

Cosmetics and mechanics and live with the rust? Or fix the safety aspects of the rust...

Live with the other stuf...

Carl

Old 10-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Given what you've said about this car - extremely rare and desirable, but extremely rusty - the thought that occurs to me is to get a non-running but rust-free Series 3, of which it seems like there are many for $1,000 or less, and then switch over every part that makes this a '92 XJ12 VDP. In other words, a body transplant. I am definitely not an expert, but it seems like this way would be less work, less money, and result in a better finished car.

-mB

Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Mike:

In a practical sense, yes.

And were it not a rare car, more so.

But, to cloud the thinking is the fact that it is a rare car.

And a body transplant would mean it is no longer the genuine article it now is.

A clone, if you will.

But, it is Mark's car and I think most of us if not all would agree, it his choice.

I've taken some heat about lumping my "ordinary" base model XJ.

Carl

Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give a quick update. I have started stripping my car down. I started with the interior. Its going slow because I am doing it after work. I started a new job. Anyway, I will post some pics this weekend.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,246 Likes on 5,403 Posts

We'll look forward to any pictures you post.
(';')

Old 11-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Good place to start, assuming you're doing this as part of an overall assessment to begin with, then you can decide what to start working on next (whether body or mechanicals). If it were mine I would determine if the body is structurally sound enough for a rolling restoration, if it is you might want to get it driveable before doing much more to the body: mobility = convenience. If it's not structurally sound, then body first and mechanicals later.

Good luck with it, look forward to seeing the progress pics!

Cheers,

Old 11-06-2015, 03:53 AM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rusty Jaguar

Originally Posted by Mark Scotton
Thanks Warlock! Please post some picks of your car for me.My jacking points are very rusted. There is no way I would jack this puppy up off its wheels. And there is no amount of money in the world that would get me under it. Its that rusty.
Hi Mark

You can take a Look at my Project. If you dare!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-92771/

Quick Reply: My once in a lifetime Jaguar project