XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

New 86 XJ6 - Debug Day 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts
Default New 86 XJ6 - Debug Day 2

Reporting back on my second full day of working on my new 86 SIII. Happy Labor Day weekend, by the way, for those in the US.

Last time, I checked out spark and all 6 had spark, so moved on to fuel. Finally determined that fuel pump was not operating at all. Planned to rebuild fuel system anyway, so ordered fuel line, new pump, various filters, etc. That was yesterdays project. Mostly successful, with a few setbacks

First things first. Had to drain other tank, so finally got lower valance rusty screws out so I could remove drain plug plastic cover. The screw heads were hopelessly stripped, but using a vice-grips allowed me to rotate them all off. I then could wedge a screwdriver and pry the valence open enough to pull the plastic plug out. Yeah.... success number 1.

Then I removed the small drain bolt and drained the fuel and finally after it was empty, I removed the big brash drain bolt. Took a dental pick and cleaned the threads on the tank and brass plug. The fine mesh filters on both sides were torn and I noticed that the new ones had a "top" on them, but the old ones did not. Got a light up there and noticed the "top"of the old one still on the tube. Wrangled a long tip pliers up there and finally got those old top out.

Next step, take out all fuel lines, filters, old pump etc from the boot. Thank god for a spacious area here because my body hurts this morning from all of the twisting and contorting I had to do. Most lines were stuck pretty tight after removing hose clamps so sliced with razor knife and finally got all out. Used old as guides and cut new ones, adding pre-filters to two supply lines from the tank. I finished everything up, but ran out of TWO bloody hose clamp sizes I needed, so I stopped that project until tomorrow. To the parts store today and I hope they have the proper clamps. They sell such junk in local auto parts stores and home improvement. Anything decent I always have to order online

So not buttoning up the fuel sys was my first disappointment. Really wanted to fire her up and see what happened.Update on the fuel pump I bought from Rock auto. It was a Denso and built like a tank. All machined aluminum and no plastic at all. But it was about a 1/2" smaller in diameter once I could compare to the old one. But it came with a hard foam sleeve what when slid on made it the right size. Then using existing foam rings, she fit perfectly in the existing filter clamp. BTW, the old pump would not spin at all either way I connected +/- to the posts from a good battery.

So in closing, close but not quite there and looking forward to Monday holiday to hopefully report back with great news.Interesting story about the location I have to keep the car temporarily. It is a run down shed built in the 20s/30s I estimate and so rotten, it will fall down at any time. Yes! Makes me very nervous but free and I needed someplace until I secure better lodgings. No power also and very dark inside. I had to do all of the above by flashlight/torch (!) and that bugger started losing juice toward days end. I did buy a cheap 2-cycle generator off internet to try. She fired up last visit and although noisy and smoky, gave me juice to run some lights. Tried firing her up yesterday and took forever to start and then would not remain running no matter what I did. Lost my cool and chucked it over the fence into the ravine. I'll retrieve the wreckage soon, but man it felt good to see that piece of **** tumble down the hill. I will now either buy an inverter to get lights off my car or buy a decent generator.

Also, this old shed has iron bars embedded into the concrete floor with huge chains hanging off them. Unless something more sinister happened in this shed, my brother said it look like they used to straighten (Model T!!) frames in this little place. It has the look of an old, old car repair place. The Jag continues the tradition

Thanks for reading - Randy

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

Just a quick note. I recently redid my fuel bits in the back of the boot. I got a pad for my knees and put a pad over the boot latch and could do the whole operation on my knees without and stretching or straining.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Interesting old 'shed". Pictures of it, and the car??

. Indeed, I recall an older garage in Socal. The panel basher used the chains in the floor to pull panels., Subing for as proper frame rack.

If you decide not to resurrect the generator a 'decent" one can be obtained at HF for about 100.

90 % of small engine ills are carb related.

Carl

Old 09-01-2019, 11:22 AM

I had a nice quilted moving blanket for knees 😊

But fuel filter and valve in back corner I decided to hop in 😂

Reminds of my first car in high school. 1973 Chrysler Newport. Monster boat with massive trunk. Have a picture camping with two girlfriends sitting (comfortably!) in trunk with a case of ice cold Leinenkugel beer... from Wisconsin and that was tasty cheap suds at the time!!

Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

I remade my entire fuel system in the trunk just by leaning over down in. Sounds like you guys use your brains when you can

Old 09-02-2019, 06:23 AM

Carl a couple pix. Condition much worse than pictures can portray - ha ha. A race against time to get this baby running so I can avoid a flatbed ride to its next home.

Randy

Old 09-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Received 637 Likes on 326 Posts

When I read your description of your garage last week I pictured something like a dungeon. When I saw the photos today I laughed and laughed. It looks exactly like the garage on my first house. I strung an electric wire from the house and had a single light bulb and thought I was in heaven. That is what all garages looked like when I was growing up in the country.

Prior to our first house I once had to change a starter on a gravel driveway..... in a snowstorm. Let me tell you, when you drop a nut in the gravel in the snow you are not going to find it until spring.

But yes, in today's environment that is a prety rustic garage.

Jeff