XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

New Guy - Warning may have several screws loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool New Guy - Warning may have several screws loose

Hi all,

I posted previously in the new member area so this is a repeat of much of that info... Sorry for the duplication to those of you who follow both.

Joining your forum prior to buying a Jag in order to get some advice, encouragement, dissent, warnings, and overall guidance.

A little about me: I older but not too old, I own a minivan (don't hate me until you've had one). I learned to drive in an XK120 or 140, can't remember which. (I was only 10 and is a story in itself.) My daily driver is a pristine 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI. Oh, and I also have a Honda XR650R which is a supermoto bike. I like to design and build stuff, and I like to play with motorized toys "Up North" in Michigan.

So what the hell am I doing on the Jag forum you are probably thinking to yourself? I want to build a replica Pre-War style Grand Prix or Indy car such as a Bugatti Type 35 or a Miller Indy racer. I have always loved the look of the Jaguar straight six (going back to how I learned to drive - that engine was awesome with the polished aluminum valve covers!) I am thinking that a 70's or 80's XJ6 might make a good starting point for my project. Basically, take the rolling chassis and build a new body for it. My logic being that it has the cool straight six, with decent brakes and suspension, and oh yeah - the rusty ones are cheap! That last point being pretty important.

So, my questions to all the Jaguaratti out there:

1. The XJ's do have a separate frame I was told, i.e., not a unibody?
2. Can I fit the older style valve covers to the newer engines? I have to have that look that the XK cars had but can't afford one and wouldn't want to butcher it if I could.
3. Is there a different model that would work better?
4. Which of the XJ's should I look for or avoid? Models? Years?
5. What advice does the group have besides taking strong medication?

Cheers,
Gadabout

PS: Planning to take my Jagatti out onto the back roads of Michigan and drive the crap out of it.
PSS: All4Jags and several others provided helpful input in the other forum - my thanks to them!

Old 05-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Received 260 Likes on 120 Posts

All Jags after 1960 (except XKE or E type) are unibody. So a good start point will be a Mark 7, 8 or 9. These are not cheap but have the polished cam covers you desire.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

As said the later jags are unibody so need a chassis built. The big advantage of the xj etc are the front and rear suspension are highly refined individual complete assemblies/ units. Hence their popularity in kit cars. It might be better to source them from a later xjs as they have anti roll bars, outer rear brakes and LSDs in most models.

The series 3 xj6 engines are probably the most advanced and have fuel injection, but could be reverted to carbs if you prefer.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Those are all good points to consider moving forward.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Search You tube. Sorry I can not give you a channel name.

A young man is scratch building a car much like you describe. Jaguar XK engine in the plans.

Carl

Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

There's a guy on the Phoenix CL that has a 3.4 or 4.2 Jag six for sale. Had the polished covers and two SU carburetors. I've shipped engines across the country before and it wasn't that difficult on a LTL carrier of depot to depot.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/p...124731007.html